Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Only four scenarios. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is that it? We've won the first one after three tries and we are now on another. slightly surprised to see that there are only four scenarios in the base game. looks like we'll be after a add on before long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it took you three tries to finish the first scenario. That's likely six hours or so of gaming, maybe a little less if the failures ended early. The duration of the others are longer, some three or more hours to complete. Now imagine you fail one or more times again. You're looking at 12-20 hours of gameplay, minimum. Then you can replay it with different investigators.

I'd say "only four scenarios" is a little disingenuous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Factor in that you're getting that many hours of entertainment for 2-4 different people in your gaming group...seems decent imo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, We shall see how it goes. admittedly our second scenario is looking like it is a long one, we currently are in Innsmouth and about to do some exploring downtown.
My only concern is that with four scenarios possibly the replay value may not be as high as it could be.
I'm not knocking the game, it is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BTW, our gaming "group" is small. Usually just two of us with a possible third on occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kess Pies
msg tools
No worries. Theres a scenario DLC coming well... This week hopefully, since it was supposed to be mid december.

Additionally, the next, or should I say FIRST new expansion is coming out in Q1 of 2017 with two more scenarios!

At first I was myself a bit worried that there were only four scenarios, and judging by the emotions after my first playthrough, I've got to agree that I simple want moooore since the game is so awesome. Thankfully for me, I had both of the expansions from the 1st edition of MoM, so I've got two more already.

The game got sold out pretty quickly out of stock and it promises a lot, so let's hope that FFG will be quite active with releasing additional content.

If only they made a quest maker (even sell the access to it), it would attract even more players to the game, but we shall see what comes next...

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan S
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want two more scenarios, buy the two tile expansions. You get eight new investigators in each one, plus new monsters, rooms, and most importantly, randomness and replayability. Plus the new expansion coming out this month and now you have seven scenarios. Plus, I believe they will eventually release app-only scenarios.

My game collection is small, maybe 40-50 games and I have only played a handful of them 5+ times and none of those games took me 2+ hours to play each time. The amount of gameplay in this box is fine with me, even with the higher than average cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mbmb
kelann08 wrote:

I'm happy that you enjoy the game but insulting people isn't cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks but I was not aware that he had insulted me. If he's going to trade insults he'll need to use smaller words. LOL.

My main issue was with after spending £80 on this game (yes, check the exchange rate) I personally thought that four scenarios was a little light. However, with an expansion coming soon and the promise of DLC all looks pretty good from here.

Compared to some elses "small" collection of 50 games ours looks somewhat pitiful but they do get played and we have no "shelf of shame".

Thanks for the replies even if some were slightly scathing.(you know who I mean)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually agree with you that 4 scenarios seems a bit limited. I love the game, but it's not much for your money. Yes, the app and components are costly. Yes, each scenario is unique and took a lot of work to make. Yes, the games are long and super fun. Yet I still feel underwhelmed, and am a bit miffed to need to spend more money to get more scenarios.

Of course, I love the game and will be spending that money, but there's less value in this one that I get from most of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How quickly people forget 1st edition only came with 5 scenarios.

Don't get me wrong - I would have loved if 2nd edition came with more, but I get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucho22 wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Calling someone's post disingenuous is no more an insult than calling them uncool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:

How quickly people forget each scenario had three different objectives, effectively tripling their value... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mbmb
redimpz wrote:

My main issue was with after spending £80 on this game (yes, check the exchange rate) I personally thought that four scenarios was a little light.

You're not alone man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:
esswhy wrote:

How quickly people forget each scenario had three different objectives, effectively tripling their value... whistle

On the other hand there was far less writing in each of the 1st edition scenarios. So while replay-ability was higher in 1st ed, the scenarios just seem deeper in 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:
esswhy wrote:

On the other hand there was far less writing in each of the 1st edition scenarios. So while replay-ability was higher in 1st ed, the scenarios just seem deeper in 2nd.

This discussion has been played out elsewhere. My point is that it's unfair to equate 1E's five scenario's to 2E's four.

If one does want to compare them, one should focus on re-playability, because that's far more important for any game so short of scenario's. In 1E re-playability was -theoretically at least- ensured by not knowing beforehand what goal to pursue and therefore which strategy to use. In 2E the designers went for immersion by a more scripted storyline with variable outcomes while goals, and therefore strategies, largely remain the same.

There seem to be two camps here. Those who favour immersion over re-playability and think FFG succeeded brilliantly and those who value re-playability more and think FFG dropped the ball on that one.

It's a valid discussion which is heated by the steep price of the game and it's expansions and which is not going to end any time soon.

Certainly not by simply comparing numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
esswhy wrote:

How quickly people forget most of the scenarios in 1st edition were bad and some of those "different objectives" were quite simply unplayable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucho22 wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Disingenuous isn't an insult, do yourself a favour a google the definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a thread in the game's forum regarding user-developed scenarios. I think you might find it interesting. I'm not sure what will become of the effort, but it is encouraging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:
esswhy wrote:

How quickly people forget most of the scenarios in 1st edition were bad and some of those "different objectives" were quite simply unplayable

Yes, yes, yes. And some of the 2E scenario's offer much less variation then others. And so on and so on.

I was trying to make the point that playing similes is pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and I was just teasing a little bit ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Montado
msg tools
Judging by many of the replies, they could have gotten away with 3 scenarios, make them more difficult so you need to replay them more, then multiply hours x players x retries and voila, the game is cheaper than cinema.

In my opinion, unless they actually release a way for players to create user made scenarios (which I doubt because that would kill the dlc cow) this game, for the price, does not offer enough to have a good relation of price vs time you will actually play before things start to repeat themselves.

Of course, when someone likes and even loves something, they will defend it, and of course, thats fine, but I wish instead of justifying a game that offers not much fresh replayability and that charges for new scnearios, that the outcry for more content in the core set was much stronger. If hey feel they can get away with little content and dlc just because the game is good... we are in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mbmb
In related news another free entire campaign is coming out for Descent...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/20/seeds-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.