GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Go Away Monster!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Game with my 3.5 year old daughter. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott McGinnis
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I ordered this game from Funagain games around Christmas time and it was back ordered. I cancelled my order and waited for the dust to clear. Almost six months later I remembered to re-order it and it arrived in two weeks.

This weekend it rained all day Sunday and in order to keep my 3 1/2 year old daughter from killing my 1 year old son with rough play, I broke out Go Away Monsters. I tried to hype the game with a description of how fun it would be to put the monsters in monster jail and I sat down with my daughter and my wife while my son mouthed everything in the living room.

I explained the rules, which takes very little time as they are so simple, and then I went first to give example to my daughter. I pulled a monster - like I had hoped - and very actively chucked it in the jail shouting "Go Away Monster". My daughter was visibly excited and nervous when it was Mommy's turn. Mommy pulled a bed and showed how to set up a bedroom.

When it was my daughter's turn she was so nervous she did not want to take a turn because she could get a monster. In fact she claimed to not want to play anymore because she didn’t want a monster. We gently plied her until she reached in - peeking I might add - and pulled a bed like Mommy. She was relived.

At that point there was a huge raspberry sound behind us and an unholy reek. It was my turn to change the son's diaper. [Session reports should be detailed and accurate right? ]

Many horrifying minutes later I returned nursing emotional scars that will never truly heal.

They waited for me and I took my turn and got a lamp. Then we proceeded through our turns with my daughter becoming more distraught at the thought of pulling a monster. Finally we decided that they were all friendly monsters because most of them were smiling and that we wanted them to live in our bedrooms with us.

So with a slight modification in the rule we continued making the monsters our pets and placing them about the bedrooms, mostly jumping on the beds and playing with the teddy bears.

Mommy was the first to finish her bedroom and we rewarded her with a round of applause. I then had to prevent my daughter from taking all the monsters on a walking tour of the house in which they surely would have been lost forever (I still can not find some hobbits from my LoTRs game).

When asked, my daughter stated that she DID NOT want to play again. But I suspect this was largely because she needed to continue pouncing on her brother while he attempted to learn to walk.

I had fun, she looked like she had fun and I successfully killed about 45 minutes of down time before the horsing around continued - all without having to watch "Lion King" for the 10,000th time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get your son on this game soon! My youngest daughter was playing this at 18 months. She is now (26 months) playing Monkey Madness, Cranium Cariboo, and a simplified version of Gulo Gulo. This is almost a year before my older daughter was playing games that complicated. Starting early helps a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Watti wrote:

Many horrifying minutes later I returned nursing emotional scars that will never truly heal.

One of the funniest comments I have read in a review in sometime, and one with which I can identify

Has the game grown on your daughter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.