Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently introduced to the game and have enjoyed it very much in two play, once as the British and once as the French. After some initial rules errors, (including the apparently easy to make error about being able to move more units from more than one area) I feel like I've got a good grasp on the mechanics, despite considerable potential for misinterpretation even in the 1.1 rules. My strategies are still in development, but that's part of the fun.

When the game was explained to me, the owner told me that he had heard that the British will win at least two thirds of the time, approximately. He hadn't played the game in some time and couldn't offer
any backing "statistical" experience, but he seemed confident that this was the case.

What is the experience of BGGers who play - do the British win more often? By what ratio?

Is it usually a good idea (as I feel) to let a beginner player play the British?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a handful of times. I'm not sure what the "easy to make error" is that you're referring to. I think we've been playing correctly.

Anyway, assuming that's true, both my opponent and I have been musing that the British may have a broken strategy that gives them a really strong chance to win. It depends a lot on the French set-up. If the French try to set up in a balanced way, I think they (French) CAN'T win. Also, the French must make good use of the Indians. Their chance to win is probably to exact enough step losses, rather than trying to hold the final objective space.

Its a great little game that can be played so quickly yet feel so full. A wonderful intro to block gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I've played a handful of times. I'm not sure what the "easy to make error" is that you're referring to. I think we've been playing correctly.

The error I refer to is that you can't move units from more than one area. (i.e., if you move units from Montmorency > Beauport, for example, you couldn't also move units from Levis > Etchemin in the same turn) Reading through a number of threads in the Quebec 1759 forums here at BGG, it sounds like I'm not the only one to make that error.

With careful reading, you can determine this is the case with the 1.1 rules (it is stated more explicitly in the original rules, apparently); this thread discusses the issue at length:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/22055

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the results of the initial British landing make a big difference in France's chances. If the French make good use of their double CV on the first combat round and then rout the British, taking pot shots as the Brits climb back into their boats, they can stretch their amphibious defense bonus a long ways and greatly increase their chances. If the French roll badly on the first round, or if the British manage to hit your weak spot (there's usually one, in my experience), you are already well on your way to the end of your new world empire.

As the French, I usually try to spread my forces evenly and then second guess the British attack, either by shifting some of my units or by sending the Indians into the territory where I think the British might land. One thing I don't do is send the Indians raiding into the Ile on the initial rounds. The Rangers and light infantry are almost certainly still there, and the Indian unit is too important to lose to cheap shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
I've only played three times so far, but the British have won all of them. The closest was Friday night's, when the initial British landing happened to hit the toughest French units, and they suffered horrendous luck for most of the game. (By "horrendous luck," I mean: as the French, defending against one amphibious landing, I rolled seven hits on sixteen dice; in another battle, I rolled four dice, and they all came up sixes, ha ha ha!)

Oh, but wait a minute... we may have forgotten the "British must have at least 20 CV" rule! I might have actually won that one! (I know he ended with fewer than 20 CV in his final attack on Abraham, but I don't remember whether he had other units elsewhere.)

Well, clearly we'll need to settle the matter with a rematch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.