Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asl [+] [View All]
Claire Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - I just had a look at the promotional video for this and it does look pretty good - a sort of cousin of ASL/DASL. Would it be possible to say this could be used as a trainer for the ASL mindset as well as a game by itself? i.e. Tide of Iron/ASL SK#1/Full ASL?

As a starter ASL person myself, would this be worthwhile getting into?

thanks

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game you want to play is ASL, the game you should learn, play, and study is ASL.

Of course, if the game you want to play is Tide of Iron, then by all means get a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
I would answer yes, if and only if, you are totally a non-wargamer. Tide of Iron introduces many of the basic concepts inherant in most, if not all, tactical wargames; such as line-of-sight, range, combat resolution, and movement points.

If you are already familiar with these concepts then the ASL starter kits are your vehicles for ASL training.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are new to wargaming, or perhaps have only played Memoir '44, then Tide of Iron might be your gateway game to ASL. Surely, if the 48-page ToI rulebook doesn't overwhelm you, then you just might be able to handle the 12-page ASL Starter Kit #1 rulebook. No sarcasm intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer is no. This may be a move up in difficlty to Mm 44 but it is DEFINATELY not an ASL trainer! ASL is it's own monster which does not really benefit by playing other games...maybe you grasp some wargaming CONCEPTS with ToI....but an ASL trainer it is not!wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm with Isaac on this one. About 2 1/2 years ago I decided I wanted to get into wargaming in general and ASL in particular, but the only game I had played that even came close to a wargame was Axis & Allies.***

Thanks to a lot of great recommendations here on BGG (especially Chris Farrell's) I've played a lot of great gateway games and have been introduced to a lot of concepts that old school grognards take for granted.

For instance, I was playing Battlelore with a non-wargamer this weekend and was taken aback that we would even have to discuss the simple LOS rules for such a game...but then I remembered trying to wrap my brain around the same rules when I got M'44 just a couple years ago!

Sure, if THE game you want to play is ASL you would want to find a tutor and dive in, eschewing all others. Few gamers are so monogamous, however, and if you've never played Columbia's block games (for example) you'd be missing out on a lot of great games...games you might enjoy even more than the mighty ASL!

***Unless you include a post-apocalyptic shoot 'em up that I designed as a college freshman which was based on the combat rules from TSR's "Top Secret" RPG and featured mutant attack rats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m:cafe wrote:
Few gamers are so monogamous, however, ...

I love the unintended (?) application of this word. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Isaac - et al - ah sorry didn't make it hugely clear after re-reading my own post - d'oh. I'm a long term wargamer and yes ASL is ASL and nothing would really be up to scratch. And as an ASL reasonable newbie I have found a seasoned ASL gamer to learn from in a sort of Star Wars-esque Master and Anakin idea, except I hope not to turn evil, dress in black, conquer the galaxy etc.

But I digress.

No, what I was thinking, and you hit the nail on the head, was using this game as an introduction to Concept of things like tactics, LOS, movement points etc as you say, to friends and family whose gaming experience maybe along the lines of Monopoly and Zombies!!! 2nd Edition. Then moving on to ASL SK's then full hardcore ASL.

Lol I loved the variety of answers - no, yes, no, maybe, don't even think about it.

cheers for the input folks

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank;

Then yes, I think ToI makes for an excellent tool for introducing the concepts that are detailed to the nth degree in ASL. Indeed, as has been stated by the designer of ToI, ASL was a primary inspiration for the design of ToI.

One has but to look at the natural ease with which people speak of ToI and ASL in the same breath. That is not to say that ToI is in any way at the same level of ASL, but the tactical wargaming concepts are analogous top to bottom.

Good luck taking Monopoly players into the ASL starter kits, much less ASL. I don't think it can be done with only the fewest of exceptions.

Somone here compared ToI's 48 page rulebook to the ASL Starter Kit #1's 12 page rulebook and implied that going from 48 pages to 12 would be a no brainer. I would add that I have on my shelf a 100 page children's book. Not every page is written the same way. ToI's rulebook is crafted and flows effortlessly through relatively uncomplicated wargaming mechanics. ASL Starter Kit rules require many readings, lots of practice, tutorials to explain the rules, and a bottle of tylenol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Given your clarifications, I would say almost certainly yes...in that what you're really asking isn't whether it's a good "trainer" but if it's a good "gateway".

It's verboten to discuss it in some circles, but probably the biggest gateway to Grognard-ship is good ol' Axis & Allies, in that it is digestible by non-gamers but often fuels an appetite for meatier stuff. If TOI can do the same thing, but start of folks thinking about squad-level tactics instead of generic "units", I can't imagine why it wouldn't be the perfect game for what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
m:cafe wrote:
Few gamers are so monogamous, however, ...

I love the unintended (?) application of this word. laugh

I thought it was clever, not unintended. The point (an accurate one) seems to be that ASL is a game in which a high percentage of its players play nothing else - hence "monogamous".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
The point (an accurate one) seems to be that ASL is a game in which a high percentage of its players play nothing else - hence "monogamous".

Yes, but if you break the word down to its origins: mono = one, gamos = marriage. But gamos sounds like game, so "one game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
tppytel wrote:
The point (an accurate one) seems to be that ASL is a game in which a high percentage of its players play nothing else - hence "monogamous".

Yes, but if you break the word down to its origins: mono = one, gamos = marriage. But gamos sounds like game, so "one game".

Jim, not sure if this was your intent or not, but your last statement added an additional layer of hilarity and meaning to the use of that word. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NO ASL SK is a ASL trainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.