Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another day, another problem with errata.

This encounter says draw from the Red Deck until you find a thief and put him in the quest area after you've loaded up the area with brigands. Well, there are no "thief" cards in the deck. Not a one.

It looks like this is yet another screw up, like Sigread's Mace that needs combat cards that don't exist in his deck, or the unexplained change in the rules regarding card draws after encounters.

I've only played 2 characters so far and I'm getting worried that this game was released without proper quality control. I can't imagine the mess if it's combined with the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Pretty sure red has thieves? Or were they all already in play? I think you don't draw and eat a time penalty in such a case (but it'd be a pretty unlucky draw, plenty of brigands aren't thieves), double check the encounter setup section.

Sig's Mace using combat cards is more a function of that being something weapons (including Maces on stronger attack) do. Not everyone supports that well. Since she doesn't have a way to recur discarded weapons, you probably don't want to use the stronger attack much or at all anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Jan, the red deck has no thieves. It's a bogus encounter for this card set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin J
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
The Encounter Card is Night Prowlers . There are two different enemies in the red deck with the thief keyword: Blackwood Cutpurse and Blackwood Harasser. All cards, including the Encounter Card, are from original Mistfall.

The mace in Sigraed's deck is a basic gear card. It's the same mace that is found in Arani and Melekai. I think there's a rule in the campaign system that allows you to include basic gear in another hero's deck as long as it shares a keyword listed on a hero's gear proficiencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Encounter comes from the Mistfall errata cards pack included in Heart of the Mists. Sorry for not making this clear enough, but please do not use it, unless you combine Enemy decks with the Mistfall ones.

The Mace is there, because Sigraed is a combination of a mage and a priest. While you have no Combat cards, it is still a Weapon that can be used against weaker Enemies, or that can trip Vulnerabilities. Also, when playing with other Heroes, your Weapon can become a target of their improving effects (Durgen or Celenthia can help out here). With the right Ally or Reward Gear you can also make your Weapon more useful.

There is no card draw after Encounters with HotM rules. This offsets higher level of Reward Control, and a whole glut of non-Transient Rewards you will be adding to your deck (and hand). Plus, with the new Time system, resting becomes more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for clearing that up. Not having the original game I was confused about the (unlabeled) errata cards in HotM. Some explanation in the box (a note somewhere... I looked for one) would have been helpful. Are there any other encounter cards that are errata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The little pack of cards is the only superfluous cards included with HotM. Everything else is supposed to be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
irondeav wrote:
There is no card draw after Encounters with HotM rules. This offsets higher level of Reward Control, and a whole glut of non-Transient Rewards you will be adding to your deck (and hand). Plus, with the new Time system, resting becomes more important.
Thanks for the official confirmation. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Cavehinds, it's "Night Prowlers". Not sure where I got crawlers from. Thanks for the research on this.

I got excited when the game came and did not know there were errata cards in the box - just threw all the cards of the same type together. Got steamed when I was most of the way through the quest and I ran into that card.

I was happy to get an amulet for Sigread as a reward card that enabled me to add the keyword "combat" to my cards and power up the mace . Need it in my retry of the Mother of All Nightmares. The forced discards as a result of mandated time track advancement makes it a brutal test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
irondeav wrote:
The Encounter comes from the Mistfall errata cards pack included in Heart of the Mists. Sorry for not making this clear enough,

Is thee a list of cards inclusief in HOTM that require the original game? I only have HOTM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.