Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goal: I love this game, first off. But the token combat, while very clever, adds way too much time to the game and my goal for this variant is to replace the tokens with dice, while striving to maintain the progression of your character.

Summary: I want to make combat use dice. To pull this off, you will look at all your tokens and use a corresponding die that has the number of pips according to the total amount of attack + defense + other icon (ignoring blanks) on your Tokens. Round down in the case of an odd Total.

All starting heroes will use a d6 die to begin and enemies will use a d8 in Act 1 and a d10 in Act 2. The boss will use a d12 (or ad20 for more difficulty).

Combat: You will roll your die and the enemy die at the same time. Take the difference of the results. Whoever had the lowest die takes damage indicated by the chart below:

Total Difference
0 -- 0 damage, enemy surges are triggered
1-2 -- 2 damage
3-4 -- 3 damage
5-6 -- 4 damage
7+ -- 5 damage

You may exert to re-roll one or both dice.

If applicable and beneficial, the enemy will use their surge ability if a Combat roll results in a tie. In Act 1, only level 1 surge abilities may be used. In Act 2, level 2+ surge abilities may be used. Only one surge ability may be used on a tie roll.

Hero Surge abilities: Surges for heroes have been reworked. At the beginning of each Combat Encounter, you obtain 1 Surge currency to use per combat Token that you you own with a Surge icon(s). You may use this currency to trigger surge abilities during this encounter. Any unspent surge currency are lost at the end of combat. Certain armor and weapons provide you with the ability to flip tokens from a Surge. These can be used to reroll one or both dice once during an encounter, acting like an exert.

Hero Abilities: Many of the heroes will need their hero abilities tweaked in order to work with this variant. I will eventually write out thematic versions that fix these.

Current heroes that are Compatible: Lyssa, Master Thorn, Elder Mok, Corbin, and Laurel of Bloodwood (ability acts like an exert).

Lord Hawthorne, Jonas the Kind, Red Scorpion, Zyla, and Nanok the Blade will need to have some tweaks done first.

Skills: Some skills may also need to be tweaked.

I welcome anyone willing to playtest or provide thoughts and input, pros and cons, for this variant so that it can become a legit way to play this game.

For now, I will begin testing with only the base game. Eventually I would like to make all the expansions compatible too.
-----
First session report can be found here:

Item for Geeklist "Solitaire Games on Your Table - December 2016"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Variant that fully replaces Tokens
And you think this will be less fiddly and time-consuming? You're essentially rewriting the entire combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
I think your system might have more rerolls with exert comparing to wing icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in this for the potential for solo/cooperative play. Although you can play solo now with the token system (which is cool for multiple players)it does feel like you are playing against yourself and there are issues when you have to make important decisions for your opponent that made solo play a little less enjoyable for me. I toyed with the idea of somehow correlating the tokens to a dice roll to make the combat more objective and even bought some extra descent dice and toyed with the idea of using them, but never had the time. I will be following your variant with interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
And you think this will be less fiddly and time-consuming? You're essentially rewriting the entire combat system.

Yes the goal is to cut down on combat times to speed up the game but at the same time keep the progression.

You start off rolling a d6 and by the end you ideally want to be rolling a d12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altasia wrote:
I think your system might have more rerolls with exert comparing to wing icons.

Yes there are very few wing icons from skills/armor. But these will essentially give you a free exert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.