Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Is Attacking Discouraged? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Armen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm considering purchasing Cry Havoc and after reading several reviews I wanted to get some thoughts of folks that have actually played the game. One concern of mine that I saw in some reviews is that reviewers feel that attacking is really discouraged in this game and that players mostly end up turtling. I guess the thought process is that attacking might put the attacker at a disadvantage (or in a 3-4 player then both the attacker and defender might leave exposed other areas they control to the other players not involved in that battle).

Ultimately I just wanted to get some thoughts on if this is true and if games often end up having few battles and a lot of turtling. I appreciate any thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfKabob wrote:
Hi, I'm considering purchasing Cry Havoc and after reading several reviews I wanted to get some thoughts of folks that have actually played the game. One concern of mine that I saw in some reviews is that reviewers feel that attacking is really discouraged in this game and that players mostly end up turtling. I guess the thought process is that attacking might put the attacker at a disadvantage (or in a 3-4 player then both the attacker and defender might leave exposed other areas they control to the other players not involved in that battle).

Ultimately I just wanted to get some thoughts on if this is true and if games often end up having few battles and a lot of turtling. I appreciate any thoughts!

You may have your reviews mixed up. Attacking is HIGHLY encouraged in the design. It is very difficult to effectively turtle. There are some races with strong defenses, but attacking is a BIG part of the game. You will frequently see 4-6 battles per round.

I'm hyper biased (hi!), but the game was designed from day 1 to be:
1. All about fighting
2. Not about turtling

I *hate* campers in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ahh thats good to know!

One of the main reviews I was looking at that said this was:
Cry Havoc Review by All the Games You Like Are Bad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't watched it. I don't read reviews, good or bad. Bad for my soul

I do know he didn't care for the game. If you tend to like his opinion, maybe the game isn't for you. But it was designed for aggression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KingOfKabob wrote:
Ahh thats good to know!

Cry Havoc Review by All the Games You Like Are Bad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE

I played the game for 6 times now, twice in every player count, it is HIGHLY aggressive game, turteling will tend to lose you games more often than not.

Besides, it is a great game and design, and I really like it.

The limited actions are what create the tension and strategic descision making, contrary to what the nice guy at the review said, this is a feature, not a bug :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfKabob wrote:
Ahh thats good to know!

Try this review instead!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQyDzI4rTvs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree about the actions. Yeah, 15 actions is limited, but about halfway through the second game (or the first if you are one of the lucky ones to get the rules down super quickly) you start to realize that those 15 actions become very versatile. Structure actions wind up becoming used not just for building, but also for recruiting or controlling. Actions within a round directly tie into each other to form one big cohesive strategy. And although I didn't watch the whole review above (30 minutes is a long time for a game I already know how to play and enjoy!) I didn't catch mention of the skills while he was dissecting the 15 actions. The skills effectively add 5-15 potential actions to the game. Again, these also tie into the other actions for your overall strategy.

I thought it was also very unfair of the reviewer to use the 3-Trog token against the game. Those tokens are essentially the dice roll of the game. To knock those means you need to knock dice mechanics. Not every game has you facing 3 Trogs on the first turn.

Anyway, battles are the essence of this game and they make for a great experience with your gaming group. If you like or want more combat and direct player interaction in your games, this one is a great way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron F-N
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. I've only played 3 games, one of them was a two player game.

The pilgrims tended to turtle after the initial first round combat, adding crystals to their regions and their pool. Defending if needed, and attacking to get control back if losing it.

The machines seemed to try and consolidate power in a two regions waiting for the end game and building buildings.
Tho it didn't work out well for them, their score was very low. I think they needed to be more aggressive

Only the humans and Trog were aggressive in those games, and most of the battles were against Trogs. (Like 90% of the battles).
There were usually something between 3 to 5 battles per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game is about area control, there is only so many areas, and you want as many as you can get, you will spread, you will hunt your enemies and fight for areas, as Pilgrims, you may want to turtle, that doesnt mean you won't be hunted down hahahah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
mb
Attacking is necessary in this game, but it doesn't mean it's easy. The mechanism do favor defense in the sense that the defender gets to see what objectives the attacker picks for his troops, and that the control objective ties goes to the defender.

But that just means you need to plan for your attacks accordingly. Sending more troops, getting more tactic cards, locking the region as a battle region, using structures to prepare the region for battle...etc. These are all things you can factor in your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.