Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Bruce
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I've posted a general overview of the game in the "sessions" section. Sorry I know I've seemed unresponsive to requests, but honestly between not understanding the site's organization and my wife's illness I claim pure distraction blush

If people want more, as one person asked for a battle report, I'll certainly make efforts to do so. Battle reports might not make sense without pictures, since the mechanics are somewhat different than the usual "I move, you move" game systems.

Let me know if you want more, and I'll certainly post what I can.

Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bruce
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Overview of OPORD play system mechanics
I was asked to post a game play review. I'm new to this form of reporting so bear with me if I muck it up.

The game is designed to mimic the frustration of modern combat, not an idealized mechanic of how big a gun, strong a unit, or other typical game aspects. The game is designed on a variable turn sequence, where at the beginning of each turn, both players roll for initiative and their own turn order. A turn sequence is phase 1. initiative player moves or shoots (variable), then non-phase player moves or shoots (variable), then phase 2. initiative player moves/shoots (variable) and non-phasing player likewise. Phase 3. All units with adjacent enemy "fight" simultanious. The game flows, and because of the variable order of your turn, you have to always think ahead of how your position, mission, and units will have to support and interact against possible enemy developments.

A game begins with both players drawing a mission card. To win you acheive your mission AND deny the enemy his mission goal. If you do so, you win, and visa versa. If both acheive their own mission, or if neither do, it is a draw. All missions are centered around real life missions, so simply moving to crush the enemy forces is not necessarily the way to win.

After drawing a mission, the players organize their forces using the TO&E set up on the inside rule booklet cover.

Then the players turn all terrain boards upside down and place in a stack. They roll for initiative. High roller selects a single tile from anywhere in the deck, turns it over and places it in front of him. Then the other player. Both alternate until all boards are placed. This is the map for the game.

Players then dice for initiative and turn order. A turn tracker and phase counters are included to assist in tracking this part of the game.

Players move onto the map (some missions have you starting on the map), and seek to achieve their own mission, while guessing at what the opponant's unknown mission is. Most players acheive their own mission, but denying the enemy mission is tougher. Still it has to be done. Because not all missions have the same number of turns, shorter missions become a problem for players with longer missions. Once one mission turn allowance is complete the game is over. Like real life, time is always the enemy.

Troops have four variables: attack, defense (also morale), range, and movement. There are infantry, airborne infantry, mechanized infantry, armor, cavalry, attack helicopters, transport helicopters, transport trucks, ADA, heavy mortars, and SP artillery.

The variable number is the number of dice to be rolled for the corresponding action: attack, defend. In addition, positional terrain modifiers, depletion modifiers, and other variables increase or decrease this base number of dice.

Movement is by sector. Each sector has a terrain associated with it that translates into a variable on offensive dice rolling. The terrains are: open, concealing, covering, and rivers. road net is implied due to scale.

The game includes murphy cards that interject random battlefield events into the game, and these often cause great humor and frustation to both sidees.

Typical turn:

Players roll for initiative/sequence. Player A wins the initiative and rolls a sequence of move then shoot. Player B rolls a sequince of shoot then move, and he'll go second.

Player A moves his units onto the board, then flips his turn traking counter to shoot. Player B is already on the board, but he has no enemy units within range and LOS; thus he flips his counter to move. Player A now shoots with troops that have any enemy within range and LOS, but there are none. Player B now moves. Player B moves a company of mechanized infantry adjacent to a concealing sector containing a dismounted infantry platoon, a truck, and a platoon of armor. Now the phase 1 and 2 are complete, both players "fight" in a simultanious phase 3. Player B attacks with his entire sector into the adjacent sector targeting the armor platoon. He adds up his attack dice, subtracts any modifiers, and rolls to get hits. Player A now rolls his defense dice for the armor platoon. The armor platoon was hit beyond his defense, but not whiped out, so it is now depleted. However, because fighting is simul, player A now fires with his sector of troops (1 infantry, 1 armor) into the enemy mech infantry sector, selecting one platoon to target. Player A rolls his attack dice, player B rolls his defense dice. Player B's defense dice are sufficient to negate the attack, so no effect. The turn is over, both players dice for the next turn's initiative and sequencing.

Overall, the game is simple to learn and difficult to master.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.