Popular Tags: lunch [+] [View All]
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

I read this quiet often for all those little fast games.

What I wonder: is this just an expression to tell: "this is a little fast game", or do you guys really play that games during your lunch breaks?

Mainly wondering, because I was not brave enough to address such an intention to any colleague yet;
furthermore even less brave to put up a game in the middle of everyones eyes.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently talked two of my colleagues into playing a couple times of week during lunch. So far Carcassonne (when all 3 of us play) or DVONN if just two. One of my colleagues was a bit wary, the other younger one has a brother who discovered Rio Grande games while he was in Iraq of all places (as a civilian contracter) so he had played Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers before. After one play my wary friend was hooked. As far as playing where people can see, we have played in two spots, a little out of the way conference room, and in my wary colleague's office. People stop by out of curiosity but no one seemed to look at us any differently Of course I work in an IT (information technology) department where we are all geeks of one stripe or another already

Cheers,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Hannes wrote:
do you guys really play that games during your lunch breaks?

I play, but only because I am lucky and someone from my usual weekend gaming group works in the same office complex. I haven't talked to co-workers about playing, but it is tempting since I am only playing one day a week now.

I like things that are both fast enough and fit in my purse. There are usually 3 of us so San Juan is a good one, as is cosmic Eidex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a lunch gaming club at work ... most of our players are gamers but we occasionally get passersby who get hooked. (I even took some games to a pub once, and that attracted a lot of attention ... people wanted to know what it was, how do you play, etc ... the waitress spent a lot of time at our table ).

Its the usual stigma: most people think boardgames are boring, and that you must be playing yahtzee or monopoly. Once they see otherwise, they're usually hooked ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm lucky that my co-worker is a gamer. In fact, I was of the Ticket-to-Ride variety before he came along. Now there's no stopping me!

We play basically every day. We initially got some odd looks from our co-workers, but we too work in IT (Web development) so it's not out of place or anything. We sit at the conference/lunch table and play there while we eat.

I created a GeekList (and there are others out there) that contains some ideas for lunchtime-length games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19658

Recently we've also been playing Aton, Voltage, Roma, and Pizza Box Football, with some fillers as well (Lost Cities, Spank the Monkey, Chrononauts, and the like).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
My favourite is "Pass the Salt"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
We play at lunch almost every day. I have a table set up behind my desk where we can leave games up for multiple days so we can play longer games as well as the more typical 1 hour or less games. Especially with interesting looking games, people often stop by to see what's being/been played. Although there were two of us who were pretty serious game players, we've since brought more than 10 people into the fold simply as a result of people being curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The challenge for The Game Sommelier in Episode 29 of The Spiel (a podcast about games) was to find five lunch break games that were quick to play and easy to learn.

Here's what I came up with: For Sale, Friday the 13th, Fairy Tale ,Tsuro, Hive

To listen to this episode, visit http://thespiel.net/?q=node/75 . You can also subscribe via iTunes or RSS.

There's also a forum post on the site with some feedback and other suggestions, too: http://thespiel.net/?q=node/77

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jensen
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in high school, we'd play Nuclear War everyday at lunch. With 5 or 6 of us, we could get 3 or 4 games in.

Didn't care too much about what others thought of us. We were all theatre technical geeks, and already all the way out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely play at work. Successful games to date:

Settlers (a bit too long, though)
Bohnanza (also a smidge too long, not as extra-long as Settlers)
Carc (can be long if someone gets pokey or we use too many expansions)
Ingenious
Wings of War
Winner's Circle (might have to cut to two races, which isn't a real big loss, IMO)
Fairy Tale
Memoir '44
Battle Cry
Ticket to Ride (just a hair long)
Blue Moon

I've also played Federation Commander, but that takes multiple days and some recordkeeping, and it's pretty much not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line and Citadels get lunchtime play between me and my nerdy coworker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife works about a mile from my office.

Food. Game. Whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McCloud
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dueling Nobles is a good game to play to over a lunch break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.H. Kaiser
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Alchemist, once you get the hang of it you can play very quick. My wife, step daughter and I have had games in the 20 to 30 minute range. Only down fall would be the amount of cubes to have potentially spilled on a small lunch room table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I played at lunch (twice in one sitting) is Fjords.

Usually I cannot play at lunch because I'm limited on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pepsi4Me2 wrote:
The only one I played at lunch (twice in one sitting) is Fjords.

Usually I cannot play at lunch because I'm limited on time.

Twice in one sitting? It takes 3 rounds for 1 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
My wife works about a mile from my office.

Food. Game. Whatever.
laugh

That is a good one.

About lunchtime games : presuming you guys work in an office where most employees are NOT gamers, I'd think that more light fare would be more successful if co-worker's opinions are at all important.
In addition, gaining converts by playing San Juan will not nearly be as successful as when playing Ticket to Ride.

Having just witnessing how successful Tumblin-Dice was with non-gamers, I'd strongly suspect that something like it would fly MUCH better with hesitant co-workers than any of the other games mentioned so far.
Once a co-worker throws one die on the table, it's a hit - they will play multiple rounds.... and ask for more, I'd wager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quambro
England
Biggleswade
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Asking for Trobil!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a group at work a few months ago, we now play every Friday between 1155 and 1300(ish). We play Roborally one week and one lap Formula De the next. The games usually finish on time, and the group has swelled from the original 3 of us (one geek and 2 M:TG players) to 5 for Roborally, and ten for Formula De; mostly 'petrolheads', but a couple of guys who are just enjoying the game. This group is now 5 races into a 16 race season.
Breaking the ice was the first hurdle. Be proud of your geekiness - we now play in the coffee bar on long tables, so the whole organisation gets to see the games. There are a few 'tuts' and shakes of heads, but more people are interested in the games. From little acorns.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Last year I ran a StreetSoccer league over a number of lunch times. Used one original StreetSoccer set and a set of custom pitches manned by Meeples meeple. Everyone had lots of fun but the competition ran cold once a few league members left the company. Was fun while it lasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Norcott
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also got a good group going at work. We have played:

Ra
For Sale
Tichu
Winner's Circle
Tutankamen
Ingenious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wife and I have played Blue Moon during our lunch break. However since we try to keep it under 30 minutes (including eating) there was only time for 3 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys see me grudging.

Hey, I am also in the IT ! But unfortunately: looking busy is a must.
Maybe that I work in the IT of a bigger bank makes it less "freaky"?
Showing up with toy soldiers (like Battle Cry)? No way!
Chess - maybe Chess is sophisticated enough... hm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.