BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Incompetent morons - trying to contact USPS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: shipping [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent over a year collecting on an insurance claim from USPS on a parcel that was never delivered. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I once lost $7.80 in a stamp machine trying to get a book of 20 stamps. I called the number on the machine to get the money re-imbursed, and left all the information they asked for.

That was two years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The USPS has got to be the most inept and incompetent parcel delivery service I've ever seen. And with their recent price hikes, they are having a hard time claiming that they are the best deals anymore, either.

Why they are still supported as the "official" delivery service here is beyond me. Nothing is their fault, they take no responsibility and expect the customer to just shut up and take their lumps.

Good luck getting your issue resolved, but don't hold your breath. They don't care, they've already got their money, and thus their need to worry about it has ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1-2 hours?

You've barely begun your journey of wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problems abound.

#1 - I wouldn't be surprised if the sender gets the response of "Oh, we can't do anything unless the intended recipient starts the investigation". The USPS is excellent at doing nothing, and will pass the buck as often as they need to in order to ensure the nothing gets done.

#2 - Getting the USPS to accept that the Washington post office made a mistake will be a monumental task in and of itself. I've yet to see the USPS admit a mistake for anything; it's always the sender's fault, or the recipients fault, or out of their control, but heaven forbid that one of their human staff did something wrong.

Sorry to be a cloud of naysaying, but the USPS is the furthest thing from actual "service" as I've ever seen. To think I used to like them, too... blech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Bolt wrote:
So it's several hours of frustration only to discover my journey of wonder (love it!) hasn't even started. And even worse cannot start until the sender has done something.

I suggest you perform the following calculation:

Parcel_value/Value_of_your_time_per_hour

If the answer is less than 100, stop and buy another whatever.

And I'm probably being wildly optimistic.

I have this card from USPS:

SPECIAL NOTICE
EXERCISE EXTREME CARE REGARDING THIS SPECIAL SITUATION

[Personal info]

DO NOT DELIVER THIS CARD

Of course, the reason I have the card is that it was delivered. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Bolt wrote:
Come on now, I'm sure there'll be more than two problems!

Replace the word "recipient" with "sender" and I've already encountered #1.

That's what I mean. They tell you "hey, the sender needs to do it". They tell him "hey, the recipient needs to do it." From their perpsective, problem solved, since neither side can do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt: That reminds me of something last winter. After a big snowstorm we had, our sidewalks were covered in a couple feet of snow. We went out to check the mail one day, and inside the mailbox was a little flyer that said something like "We cannot deliver your mail unless you clear your sidewalks!"

Now, had that been on the DOOR, it would have made sense, but having it be IN THE MAILBOX made NO sense... (The funny thing was, our mail WAS in the box, too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPS isn't much better.

Last year I sent a package of Magic cards to a guy in Pennsylvania.

I watched the tracking go all the way to the town in Penn., and it got updated to "Out for Delivery".

I check back with the guy that night--no cards. Hmm, maybe they missed him and will deliver tomorrow.

Three days later the package is still "Out for Delivery". So I contact UPS.

They spend three days doing some tracking thing, come back and tell me, "We have no idea where your package is."

Oh well, says I, UPS includes free insurance up to $100. The stuff I shipped was $125 worth, but I didn't choose more insurance, so that's my bad. Can I go ahead and file a claim?

Yes, sir, here's a claim number but give us a few days so that it's valid.

A week later, the number still isn't working. The guy is still waiting on those cards (made worse by the fact this was a trade and I had already received his games). I contact them and get more and more runaround as to why I can't file my claim for $100 yet. Believe me, it was absolutely incredible.

THEN a lady in Texas contacts me out of the blue. Say, I just received this box of Magic cards, I'm willing to bet these don't belong to me?

Texas? TEXAS?!

Someone has slapped a label on my package to send it to Texas. Well, that's pretty naff, but hey, UPS will fix that problem, right?

No sir! At least, not right away. They had the gall to insinuate that I had put the wrong label on there, that this was my fault somehow, that I had re-used a previous shipping box or something, and yes, I was going to have to pay to have it re-shipped.

I had been civil up until then for the most part, but the lady that day got an EARFUL.

"Ma'am," I said, "if I put the wrong label on there, why did you guys bother to ship it to my original destination in Pennsylvania first? And why does my receipt show the proper shipping address as I had labeled it? Oh, and I won't be using UPS again, ever, because you people are apparently incompetent beyond words. Your job is to deliver packages and/or fix things when said delivery goes wrong; you have failed on both counts."

I was freaking out at this point.

I managed to...ahem...convince them to air mail that package from the lady's house for next day delivery, no charge to me. And finally, the package is delivered...about a month and a half later, I think?

So anyway, good luck in your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and here I was looking forward to a story about incompetent morons trying to contact USPS. Guess I should go to punctuation school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carole Douglas
United States
California
flag msg tools
I just received the same card, no other mail today... does anyone know what its for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carole Douglas
United States
California
flag msg tools
SPECIAL NOTICE...EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION REGARDING THIS SPECIAL SITUATION.
DO NOT DELIVER THIS CARD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
No clue. Still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.