☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a light, fun dice game. What's the Geek's consensus? I enjoy the 'push your luck' mechanic, but the poker-ish bluffing/betting qualities of Liar's Dice/Bluff didn't really appeal to me (although I've only played it once).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for something light then I'd say Yspahan might be a little much. It's certainly a good game but not what I'd describe as light and quick although it is close. If you want a light, quick, push your luck style dice game then I'd say the perfect game would be Can't Stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
The question really is "How light is light?"

The three games you mention are all what I'd call light-to-medium weight games

Yspahan is the least dice-y of the games, as your play can depend on the dice but the game itself is about how you use the resources you're given (and deny them to others). Great game, btw... try the Windows freeware from the Westpark Gamers.

To Court the King is "Magic: the Gathering" meets "Yahtzee"... which sounds like I don't like it, but I'm actually a huge fan. Of the three games you listed, this is my favorite.

Bluff/Liar's Dice is also NOT a really a dice game - it's a bluffing game that uses dice.

If you're looking for light dice games, you can go with Fill or Bust (a variant on the old dice game 5000 that uses special power cards), Pickomino (a dice game with worms & domino-like tiles), Exxtra (a Knizia dice game with some interesting ways to mess with other players)... or, if you want to go REALLY light, you can check out Space Race (from Gamewright), which is basically "roll dice as fast as you can" or Dungeon Dice (OOP from Parker Bros.) which is a prison escape themed push-your-luck game.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
If you're looking for something light then I'd say Yspahan might be a little much. It's certainly a good game but not what I'd describe as light and quick although it is close. If you want a light, quick, push your luck style dice game then I'd say the perfect game would be Can't Stop.

Oh, man... I forgot Can't Stop!? My dice expertise privileges are hereby revoked.

Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From "light" to "middle-weight":

Pickomino
To Court the King
Rum & Pirates
Yspahan

All are enjoyable games if you can live with "The Fickle Dice of Doom".

Pickomino is very light, and is "push-your luck" dice rolling in its essence.

To Court the King is a Yahtzee-ish game with a great Role Power element. Do you choose extra dice or dice manipulation? I'm hoping the "expansion" is successful and can find a publisher.

Rum & Pirates doesn't get a lot of respect as its not the typical alea brainburner, but its a fun game that has some strategy and a ton of different dice rolling "contests". Great if you are in that mood, or just want to say arrrh

Yspahan is definately the best "Gamer's Game" of the bunch. The dice rolling mechanism is integrated nicely into the game itself, but doesn't overpower the game with a feeling of uncontrolled randomness. There are different strategies to win. Great game that plays fast. Check out the Westpark Gamers PC version of Yspahan.

To be honest they all are great games for different times, places, and moods. My wife and I own and enjoy all of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Knatsch which is very similar to To Court the King and not as good so just forget I mentioned it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Dice game - Yspahan, To Court The King, or a Bluff varia
Sharp Shooters and Yahtzee Deluxe Poker deserve some consideration, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice + Push Your Luck + Light = Can't Stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Yspahan isn't really a dice game.... is it?

I would think of it as a game that utilizes dice, but winning does not depend on the dice...

Maybe I'm wrong... great game though... very fun...

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call Yspahan a dice game: it uses dice, but dice don't dominate the game. To Court the King is fun, though myself I've decided it isn't different enough from Yahtzee, which is just a trademark for the public domain game yacht. I don't think I quite agree that Bluff isn't a dice game: Bluff's rules have rerolling, and any dice game needs you doing something with the dice after you roll them: assigning them to a category like yacht or TCtC; bluffing with them in Bluff or Liar's Dice etc.

You might consider getting Bluff, getting nice dice and cups for 6; then adapting yacht or Yahtzee rules to Bluff's unique dice and printing your own scoresheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I doubt there actually is a "geek consensus" ... as you can see by all the various opinions.

When I think of a fun light dice game... Liar's Dice/Bluff/Perudo jumps to my mind first so that's what I'd have to recommend... BUT as you say, you don't like the bluffing/betting aspect so the next two that come to mind are Can't Stop and Tumblin-Dice.

Can't Stop.. as other have described is a great, simple push-your-luck style game by Sid Sackson and Tumblin-Dice is a dead simple (but not without skill) dexterity game of flicking dice down a wooden "waterfall" to position your dice on scoring ledges to score points and knock other players dice off those same ledges.

One wild card I'd also throw into the mix is Eiertanz ... I've never actually played it but it sure sounds like a lot of fun from all I've read about it and it's certainly a very light game with dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
One wild card I'd also throw into the mix is Eiertanz ... I've never actually played it but it sure sounds like a lot of fun from all I've read about it and it's certainly a very light game with dice.

While I agree with Darren's suggestion about Tumblin' Dice, I don't think of Eiertanz as a dice game. The game name is translated as "Egg Dance" and it's more of a dexterity game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Righto. Eiertanz is as much of a 'dice game' as "Scene It!" or "Cranium". The dice simply dictate the directions that must be followed. There are no dice-related 'decisions' to be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I guess I have to agree on the comments about Eiertanz. It has dice and is light and fun... but as stated it's not really a DICE game in the strictest sense. Fun sounding game though from all I've read which is why I suggested it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.