Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Playing with a timer

Great idea!
Funny, I played with my two suns (10 and 9) just yesterday and we came to the same conclusion. We are regulars with Battelore and so they are used to taking a reasonable amount of time to plan things out. But they both agreed that although they liked the game very much, they felt the pace was a bit slow (my 9 year old kept wanting to pick up the plane and illustrate his flying sequence ;-)) and so we are going to try with a timer in our next session.

Oh and I just got a used copy of the movie "Flyboys". I've heard that the movie isn't that good, but I'm sure those flying sequences are worth the 10$. Perfect to set the theme right before a gaming session.

Regards,

Max ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Happy to know taht you enjoyed the game anyway.

Let me know how it goes if you use the timer. And yes, 2 planes agaist 2 you have more firing occasions and a more lively game. The 1 agaist 1 is anyway more colorful if you stage a Camel against the Dr.I, or a Snipe against a D.VII, since they are more agile and tricky planes with several options to turn in a sudden (maybe unexpected) way on the enemy. The SPAD XIII is quite slow to turn and it makes 1 to 1 scenarios less colorful.

Have fun and thanks for choosing our game!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1 vs. 1 does seem to take forever. I usually try and play a 2 player game with each player having two aircraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use a speed variant like you did, where instead of the plotting phase you just both keep picking 1 card to play at a time and reveal.

It would eliminate some of the "oh no I can see this coming" aspect of did my 3rd plot work out well or not. But it would give the "appearance" of speeding up the game to play it this way.

Damn.. now I want to try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steamrunner wrote:
1 vs. 1 does seem to take forever. I usually try and play a 2 player game with each player having two aircraft.

I think two aircraft per player is manageable. At least among experience players.

In the last game I played where a melee between several aircraft wound down to just one-on-one and things started to drag, we came up with the "3 passes" rule to end the stand-off so we could get another game at the table going. If you and an opponent completed "three passes" at each other without knocking the other guy down, both planes go home and the duel is over.

A "pass" for this purpose was any set of manuvers where both aircraft begin the turn on converging courses (as if three straights set end-to-end would intersect) and end the turn on diverging courses (as if three straights set end-to-end would NOT intersect). Also, one or both planes had to come within range of each others' guns. It may be that there was no opprtunity to fire during the pass*, but a pass was made and that's enough.

* Reasons for no opportunity might be: Overlapping stands; paths cross that carry them past each other; converging planes execute slips or turns during a critical impulse that carry them apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bostich wrote:
You could use a speed variant like you did, where instead of the plotting phase you just both keep picking 1 card to play at a time and reveal.

"Dawn Patrol", the WWII version released today (at least in Italy), has a not too different system: plan two cards. Play teh first. Plan a third. Play the second. Plan a fourth... No more three cards turns, just "phases". If you want to try that with WWI...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember where I saw it, but not long after FA first came out there was a suggestion to play like a "continuous loop." You still start the game with 3 cards down, but after you play one, you shift the cards on the mat and put a new card down. You still have a 3 card sequence happening but you're only picking one card at a time. That could be faster, especially if you make a rule that the players CANNOT pick up the cards that are face down-- since otherwise it can be SLOWER while they continually check out "what did I do last time."

You do need to install a penalty rule for if they break the Immelman sequence or run 2 stalls by mistake.
I'd recommend using the "just fly straight" penalty, versus the "auto death" penalty.

I've thought of using that in a demo but, since I'm frequently taking brand new players through the cycle, I've left it alone (because I think the continuous loop asks for a real familiarity with the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it was a very smart suggestion here on BGG, some thread in the FA page. It was then similar to our WWII system that was under playtesting at that time, but with the difference that we worked on a shorter two cards sequence instead than on a three cards sequence. This makes things easier for the pilots, since they can react more easily to the maneuvre they see: they plan with a one card delay, not with a two cards delay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "continuous loop" seemed like an obvious way to play it right from the start. But how well does it work with tailing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tailing is perfect: you check it every phase, and if you are in a tailing position you see the card of the tailed plane. Then you plan your maneuvre... but it will not be executed with the one you saw: it will be executed with the maneuvre after it. So you have info on the enemy movement, but you react to it with a one card delay.

Please consider another thing. With our two-cards system you have planes that are quite more agile than with the three cards one. With our system you can do a oloop with straight - Immelmann - straight - Immelmann - straight, while with the three cards system you have to do straight - Immelmann - straight - straight - Immelmann - straight, since you have a single Immelman in the deck.

Of course WWII decks are done on purpose for this system. And this explain why they need less cards. And this allows for three-decks boosters and (together with the use of damage chits) for 6 maneuvre decks in the ox instead of the usual 4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.