25 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: The first euro game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I read the rules, I looked Video - How To Play To Watch It Played, Scythe - Automa (Solo) playthrough, Scythe "Live Play Thru" (Stonemaier Games) GreyElephant Gaming, a few video reviews, and reviews on this forum and thread Faction Discussion on this forum ... and I really like this game, but I would make sure:

Is this game can be good as my first euro game (previously I played mainly in the deck building - Legendary series - and LOTR LCG)?
And how with replayability in solo and for more players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that this would make a great first Euro. It looks a bit overwhelming at first, but is easy to learn and teach. I taught my 17-year old daughter last night, and we played a "sample" game up until one of us took the factory hex...then did a mid-game scoring and started over. This allowed her to see how the game works.

It only took her about 15 minutes to learn the rules/actions, and how her faction worked.

I have only played one solitaire game so far, and it seemed to work ok. I was not as enthralled with the solo automa, but it works for learning how each faction works.

As far as multiplayer goes, however, it is one of the family favorites at the moment. My daughter actually noted that the game surpassed her previous favorite Alchemists, which is a big deal.

As far as replay value, for a sheer solo experience, I think this is a hefty investment for the solo play return. However, where it shines is multiplayer, as it is virtually endless as far as replay value (especially if you add the two faction expansion). If you plan on playing both solo and multiplayer, I can recommend without reservation that you pick it up right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
BirdfluNuggetz wrote:
I would say that this would make a great first Euro. It looks a bit overwhelming at first, but is easy to learn and teach. I taught my 17-year old daughter last night, and we played a "sample" game up until one of us took the factory hex...then did a mid-game scoring and started over. This allowed her to see how the game works.

It only took her about 15 minutes to learn the rules/actions, and how her faction worked.

I have only played one solitaire game so far, and it seemed to work ok. I was not as enthralled with the solo automa, but it works for learning how each faction works.

As far as multiplayer goes, however, it is one of the family favorites at the moment. My daughter actually noted that the game surpassed her previous favorite Alchemists, which is a big deal.

As far as replay value, for a sheer solo experience, I think this is a hefty investment for the solo play return. However, where it shines is multiplayer, as it is virtually endless as far as replay value (especially if you add the two faction expansion). If you plan on playing both solo and multiplayer, I can recommend without reservation that you pick it up right away.

Thanks, I wanted to make sure, because this game looks insanely good (Jakub Różalski created true masterpieces of art, and mechanically also promises to be a really great and interesting game. So I wished that much to have this game, that I even agreed to a fairly hard "pact" - I promised my wife, that if I get Scythe for the Christmas... I don't buy any other board game throughout the next year (So I wanted to make sure that I did not make a mistake by agreeing to this arrangement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
13thcaesar wrote:
...I promised my wife, that if I get Scythe for the Christmas... I don't buy any other board game throughout the next year.

Ummm.... It's not that good. If you're looking for a Solo experience there's far better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:
...I promised my wife, that if I get Scythe for the Christmas... I don't buy any other board game throughout the next year.

Ummm.... It's not that good. If you're looking for a Solo experience there's far better.

To finding 2-5 players I have no problem, so it will more often playable in multiplayer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
13thcaesar wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:

To finding 2-5 players I have no problem, so it will more often playable in multiplayer

Just don't get your hopes up for the claimed 4x part of the game. It's not there it. This is a very thematic Euro with some direct aggression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
corkysru wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:

Just don't get your hopes up for the claimed 4x part of the game. It's not there it. This is a very thematic Euro with some direct aggression.

I realize that, I made a thorough understanding certainly concerned about the game, the rules and the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
13thcaesar wrote:
corkysru wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:

I realize that, I made a thorough understanding certainly concerned about the game, the rules and the gameplay.

Just making sure!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13thcaesar wrote:
corkysru wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:

You made the right choice! Scythe is my #1 game and is a great first euro. My first euro was another Jamey Stegmaier design, Viticulture Essential Edition. Like that game, you're choices are thematic, intertwined and straightforward. You'll love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definetly not my best euro game.

I absolutely love the theme, art and the components, but the gameplay is not really what I expected. It's a good game, but I had too high expectations. Seeing a lot of poeple saying it's the "2016 best game" made me expect to much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:

I absolutely love the theme, art and the components, but the gameplay is not really what I expected. It's a good game, but I had too high expectations. Seeing a lot of poeple saying it's the "2016 best game" made me expect to much.

I love scythe but the best game of 2016 i think is terraforming mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Archange227 wrote:

Nah, not even close. Terraforming Mars is a 'Draw card, see what your options are, you can't plan'-game. Not very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
Webbe wrote:
Terraforming Mars is a 'Draw card, see what your options are, you can't plan'-game.

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brock

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good, except for the "no buying board games for a year pact." shake harsh.

You may need to avail yourself and find a good "rules lawyer" (many are available at boardgamegeek.com).

Several thoughts:

Would you be able to "donate" to someone, who then just happens to "gift" you a game.

Or how about time travel games (but,honey, this game came from 2020).

If you're are very very good, *she* can buy you a game or two.

Or she likes Scythe so much she cancels the pact due to your great judgement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webbe wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Archange227 wrote:

Nah, not even close. Terraforming Mars is a 'Draw card, see what your options are, you can't plan'-game. Not very good.

#1. Draft. The basic game is sort of junk. Also play with corporations.
#2. You draw 4 cards to pick from. Plus you start with up to 10. You make it sounds like it's Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:

Any game, even the theoretical best game ever printed, will only be the best game of that year, or even month to some people. Assuming it will be a best game for you, without some serious research to assure yourself of this is naive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Webbe wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Archange227 wrote:

#2. You draw 4 cards to pick from. Plus you start with up to 10. You make it sounds like it's Carcassonne.

Are you all for real? Are you seriously arguing about Terraforming Mars in someone else's thread about Scythe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Webbe wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Archange227 wrote:

Are you all for real? Are you seriously arguing about Terraforming Mars in someone else's thread about Scythe?

Well, there was a reason why I never responded.
What I really wonder now is if "user" MAJBrown22 is for real?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Bisogno
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I don't think any game is worth a "no more game purchases all year" pact. Of course there are budgetary restrictions but if something is your hobby it isn't unreasonable to put a certain amount of money per month into it (on average). If possible, maybe there is a gaming cafe around you that has a copy you could play. Or (as I'm trying to do for Kingdom Death) maybe find a couple people who also want to play it and will kick in some money towards it.

As for the game itself, I like the solo play a lot. The automa deck succeeds at pressuring you to make plays. I also prefer games with solo play because my wife is blind and games with solo play seem to be easiest to make accessible.

Scythe is also at the top of my "let's play this" list if people want to play a game. But, because of gaming preferences we usually end up playing Coup or Dominion. For that reason, I think Scythe is a GREAT game to have in your collection, but depending on your lifestyle and the people you know other games might see much more time on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is a fairly simple game wrapped up to look more complex than it is. It is fairly limiting and has built in hand holding mechanics. It makes a great new user Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:

I would emphasize that even direct aggression is too strong of a word, it allows you to send opponents home. Plus the game prevents you from attacking anyone early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:
That's definetly not my best euro game... Seeing a lot of poeple saying it's the "2016 best game" made me expect to much.

Well, Scythe is currently sitting at #6 in the overall rankings and the only game ahead of it from 2016 is Star Wars Rebellion (at #5). So technically I think you can call Scythe the best euro of 2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
corkysru wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:
13thcaesar wrote:

I would emphasize that even direct aggression is too strong of a word, it allows you to send opponents home. Plus the game prevents you from attacking anyone early in the game.

Yes but I would say the aggression ALSO arises from the fact that, in addition to sending your opponents' units home (no unit/player elimination, so this 4x doesn't have "eXtermination"), the victorious player is nabbing his/her opponent's ressources... that hurts! angry

So I think Scythe has a strong euro feel to it (action selection, resource management, engine building etc.) but mixed in with non-euro-style (some would say "amerithrash") mechanisms: moving units on a map to claim territory/resources, confrontation, etc.

Although actual direct combat/confrontation may only be 15-20% of the game, I would say the game is roughly 50/50 resource management/confrontation in the form of "I've moved into your space and stolen your precious, hard-earned resources". The only proprietary resources in the game that can't be stolen are money, power and popularity. I guess territory grabbing itself from one's opponents also counts as a form of confrontation, as territory is a principal source of VPs in endgame scoring.

But all this is refreshing: no doubt about it, Scythe is a solid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got Scythe for Christmas, for now I played three games with my seven-year old son and I have to admit that the game is really easy to learn, when even seven-year old boy immediately caught a rule, he even won the first game. The game is great and certainly worth buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
Scythe is a fairly simple game wrapped up to look more complex than it is. It is fairly limiting and has built in hand holding mechanics. It makes a great new user Euro.

This summarizes my solo test play experience.

It's a bit lighter than games I normally I play but has the following benefits:
The game will move very fast.
I can introduce this to new gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.