BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: New to boardgamegeek rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Hall
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi all. About two months ago i picked up a copy of a quaterly gameing mag. (cant remember its name, had two hot chicks on the front) And i read a coment in a review that mentioned a board game called power grid. I went out and bought it and just loved it. I knew there would be a site out there where i could get recomendations for more games and reviews and im glad i found it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the end of your disposable income.

And welcome to BGG

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdLucid wrote:
Hi all. About two months ago i picked up a copy of a quaterly gameing mag. (cant remember its name, had two hot chicks on the front) And i read a coment in a review that mentioned a board game called power grid. I went out and bought it and just loved it. I knew there would be a site out there where i could get recomendations for more games and reviews and im glad i found it!

Welcome to the 'Geek!

If you haven't found it yet here is the page for Power Grid. At the bottom of the page are recommendations of people who have liked Power Grid and the other games they like.

Once again welcome!

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Travis!

Even though your disposable income is now forfeit (as mentioned earlier) it's an incredible return on your investment! Now you will need to start finding some like minded inviduals. Or better yet, start recruiting them.
Good luck and have fun.

BTW: The expansion boards for Power Grid are relatively inexpensive if you start getting tired of the originals: Power Grid: France/Italy and Power Grid: Benelux/Central Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Welcome to BGG. It can be very daunting when you first come here and there are alot of features. One such great feature is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekchat2.php where you can come talk to other geeks. There are such great people in there.

Here is a geeklist about how you can be a positive member of BGG http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22020

Well enjoy your time and Im sure youll loose lots of money on the way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Also make sure you avail yourself of the Geeklist search feature. Just select 'GeekLists' from little dropdown box next to the search box at the top of the page and you can find all kinds of interesting lists that folks have compiled over the years here.

e.g. Interested in suggestions for a game to play with your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc? Enter the keyword 'spouse' or 'wife' and you'll find a good number of GeekLists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for introducing yourself Travis, and welcome to this great community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG, Travis.

Octavian wrote:
Welcome to the end of your disposable income.

And welcome to BGG

-MMM

I can attest to Octavian's message about an end to your disposable income but on the bright side you will have MANY hours of fun playing those games with family and friends (old & new).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh how I love the 'Geek!

The things that I always tell friends when I introduce them to this wonderful site are ...

a. learn to search and browse geeklists, 'cause they will link you to games that you never would've heard of, but that will intrigue you. Other people are a fantastic resource who have gone there before you, so let them tell you what they've found!

b. Check the suggested games at the bottom of the page for any game you already like. These can lead you to some great new games you might not have thought of in that context.

c. Always check the files section on any game you like, especially for FAQ's, official changes, "unofficial"-yet-widely-used changes, useful player aids, etc. Every single game I own has *something* in the box that is printed out from BGG, and everybody comments on them! So many new gamers have commented that our cheat-sheets have convinced them that gaming isn't so scary after all!

d. The Top 50 list is your friend! Why go through the hassle of doing all that searching yourself when you can simply go through and casually peruse the games that hundreds (or thousands) of gamers have consistently rated highly? Oh, sure, you might not want to buy all of them, but it is a heck of a great place to start searching, and they've got to be in the top 50 for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG Travis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Travis!

As everyone else has said, welcome to the Geek! As you can probably already tell, there is a ton of stuff to sift through on the site. The above posters have made some good recommendations on where to start, so have fun! If you're anything like me when I first found the site, you'll have filled up your closets with new games in no time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hi all. About two months ago i picked up a copy of a quaterly gameing mag. (cant remember its name, had two hot chicks on the front)

You sure it was a gaming mag?

Welcome to the best site on the web for boardgaming! You have a cool username, now hurry up and get some geekgold, so you can get your avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Quote:
Hi all. About two months ago i picked up a copy of a quaterly gameing mag. (cant remember its name, had two hot chicks on the front)

You sure it was a gaming mag?

lol! I think it's the defunct Game Quarterly Magazine. My wife picked up a copy for me at the local game store and said "What's up with the scantily clad women? (read 'two hot chicks' ).

Power Grid's at among the very top of my 'Most wanted list'

Bienvenidos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Site Evah.

Welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdLucid wrote:

Welcome to the Geek! You may run out of money from games here, but the reviews and posts on the 'Geek will help you to spend that money wisely.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist_controller.php?action=...

Some geeklists for the new user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hello from the "Geek Chat" dejects, as we suspect that you may neglect to make it the object of your affect, so don't be a 'stranger' than 'moi'!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Travis and welcome. Here is some GG (Geek Gold) to help you on your way to getting all the things you never dreamed of... or whatever else you may want it for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you a programmer or an engineer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.