Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
In the original game, you put in one drone per Objective deck per player (page 6). So a 1-player game would have 3 Drones total, and a 2-player game would have 6 Drones.

But in the expansion (pg. 1), you put in 0 Drones in a 1-player game, and 3 in a 2-player game. Shouldn't that be 3 Drones and 6 Drones, respectively? So 1-player would be 0-1-2, and 2-player would be 1-2-3.

In 3/4/5 player games, the # of drones appears to be correct. The distributions are different (in line with the Predator game), but the # of Drones is the same from the expanded to the base game.

If the goal is to make the game harder for 1 & 2 player, shouldn't that be an option like the other "make it harder" variants?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
My understanding is that it was a change to make the 1-2 player game harder, since many people said it was too easy. I think those people were crazy, but much of this expansion focuses on making things harder, so I'm not surprised. There's no reason you can't keep with the original version if that suits you better. I've played 4 games with the new cards (2 players) and lost all 4 times. Only one of those times did I make it to the 3rd objective, so this is definitely harder than before (without even using the "hard" cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Which objectives were you playing? I've found The Aviary to be particularly hard with 3-player. We're trying Echidna today (i.e., the Location and all three Objectives "match").

Also, the other difficulty-raising things (Soldiers, "Hard" Objectives/Locations) are optional. Changing the # of drones for game balance was always an option, so why make it part of the "official" rules now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
Which objectives were you playing? I've found The Aviary to be particularly hard with 3-player. We're trying Echidna today (i.e., the Location and all three Objectives "match").

Also, the other difficulty-raising things (Soldiers, "Hard" Objectives/Locations) are optional. Changing the # of drones for game balance was always an option, so why make it part of the "official" rules now?

With the original Aliens game, we were really concerned that the setup instructions were complex. So we decided to simplify the Drone rules to be 1 per mini-deck per player rather than have the Drone chart.

We knew this would make the game tougher the more players, but we hoped the positive scaling effects (eg "Each player draws a card") and more opportunities to coordinate would balance things within an acceptable range.

However, one of the big balance issues we kept hearing about from Aliens was that more players made it too hard. So with Predator we went ahead and instituted the Drone chart, said it now applies to Aliens, and then repeated it in the Alien expansion rules (to cover places where a player hasn't seen Predator).

If we could go back in time we would have done the Drone chart to begin with.

Thank you,
Danny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks! But that leaves the original question unanswered:

Is the difference in the # of Drones chart (which is also different from the Predators numbers) intentional, or accidental?

We weren't wondering at the difference in distribution between the original rules and the new Drone chart. But the difference between the # of Drones total, regardless of their distribution.

In the original game, there were 3/6/9/12/15 Drones for 1/2/3/4/5 players. Same as for Predator, substituting Young Bloods for Drones.

In the new Alien expansion as printed, there are now 0/3/9/12/15 Drones for 1/2/3/4/5 players.

The change in #s doesn't make the 3-4-5 player games easier or harder. It just makes the 1 and 2-player versions harder.

Hope that clarifies things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
markblasco wrote:
My understanding is that it was a change to make the 1-2 player game harder, since many people said it was too easy. I think those people were crazy, but much of this expansion focuses on making things harder, so I'm not surprised. There's no reason you can't keep with the original version if that suits you better. I've played 4 games with the new cards (2 players) and lost all 4 times. Only one of those times did I make it to the 3rd objective, so this is definitely harder than before (without even using the "hard" cards).

FYI, in our play of the full Echinda scenario (Echidna Location + 3 Objectives), we found it overall a more... enjoyable play. For one thing, it has a clearer storyline. At least it does if you play with the Clone avatars. You're playing Clones on the run, you have to deal with security, you have to get through the hatch, you have to take down the Final Creation.

The Aliens seemed a bit easier. Or at least, they didn't get really really tough until Obj 3. While with Aviary, the 6-Cbt Flying Aliens in Obj 2. just crush us every time. We'd rather have a low Cbt with a prereq (like playing a Role card) to higher Cbt. In 4-player, that isn't that hard to do.

We also got a chance to review the Alien Avatar roles/deck rules, which we rarely do otherwise. The #3 Hazard forces one player to be chestbusted. Even so, we probably would have won the game, since he revealed his Chestbuster just as we had three more turns (in a 4-player game) before he started whaling on us. And had knocked the Final Creation down to four Enhancement cards.

We did find the Obj. 1 mechanics a bit confusing. You defeat them with 3 combat, then get them into Operations and then spend 1 more Combat (+1 per Event) to "defeat" them, right?

Overall, it was much more of a nailbiter. Even if we had lost, we were having fun. With Aviary, it's just... combat combat combat in our experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Gislef wrote:

Is the difference in the # of Drones chart (which is also different from the Predators numbers) intentional, or accidental?

We weren't wondering at the difference in distribution between the original rules and the new Drone chart. But the difference between the # of Drones total, regardless of their distribution.

In the original game, there were 3/6/9/12/15 Drones for 1/2/3/4/5 players. Same as for Predator, substituting Young Bloods for Drones.

In the new Alien expansion as printed, there are now 0/3/9/12/15 Drones for 1/2/3/4/5 players.

I think you are mistaken with your numbers for 4 players, because in the new rules, the drone distribution is 0,3,9,15,15+extra buy round, which is a definite change for 4 and 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:

The change in #s doesn't make the 3-4-5 player games easier or harder. It just makes the 1 and 2-player versions harder.

Hope that clarifies things.

Hi again,

I just checked to make sure, and the Young Blood chart and the Aliens Expansion (updated) Drone chart are the same. They're both 0/3/9/15/15+1 Prep turn.

Thank you,
Danny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.