Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Images are a great information resource. They are also a valuable resource - GG!

I have 4 recommendations relating to the use and abuse of images.

1) ABUSE: I personally dont see the point of an image for every card or piece in the game. Group shots are much better. I understand there may be cases where individuals are necessary. Users who send images like this seem to just be after quick GG, and this isnt beneficial for everyone. Unfortunatley some people seem to approve these images, so modding doesnt stop it from happening.

But my greatest gripe relates to painted miniatures. As nicely painted as some peoples miniatures can be, there are far too many well painted miniatures to allow everybody to showcase their abilities. Ultimately it defeats the point of the image gallery.

2) USE: Grouping images into various categories will make viewing and searching images more user friendly. Unfortunately I cant find the forum link, but there was a great suggestion for grouping submitted images (eg box cover images, boards, arty etc)

3) USE: Replacing images. Sometimes its possible to improve on an existing image (better focus, lighting etc). A better image is likely to be approved, even though it may be similar or identical to its comparitive. Unfortunately the old variant remains. Perhaps an image mod along the lines of "Update" or "Replace" image would be beneficial. Users would mod the proposal much like the current Data mod link.

4) USE: Perhaps a top 10 in each image group, a link would allow viewers to see all other submissions. That way users can still submit images, but only the best offerings float to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Quote:

I personally dont see the point of an image for every card or piece in the game. Group shots are much better. I understand there may be cases where individuals are necessary.

I wouldn't mind if every piece/card/etc. in a game had a photo for it. As long as the photo is quality. Shoot I wouldn't mind, and would actually like, every card made for every ccg documented and commented here on the geek with rarity and descriptions, usage, strategy tips, etc. Bring it on!

Quote:

Users who send images like this seem to just be after quick GG, and this isnt beneficial for everyone.

Here is what I've always wondered about. What do you care what people get GG wise. So what? What do I care if so-and-so made a million GG. Doesn't affect me in any way.

Quote:
But my greatest gripe relates to painted miniatures. As nicely painted as some peoples miniatures can be, there are far too many well painted miniatures to allow everybody to showcase their abilities. Ultimately it defeats the point of the image gallery.

Shoot painted mini's are the only reason for most miniature games. W40K is all about painted mini's. Keep them coming, if I'm a Warhammer fan, that's exactly "what" I'm looking for on the web, tons and tons of painted mini's. Different styles, different colors. Bring them on. As long as Aldie has the room and the bandwidth, then the more the merrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont care about how much GG people get, my concern is more for the site in general. Wading through countless images trying to find what you are looking for is slow and tedious. I would prefer to see relevant, good quality images. My concern is that the pursuit of GG can limit the quality of the submission.

Its true, some minature games are about the figures. I think my comment is not relevant to these games. I suppose my gripe stems more from the fact that I went to mod some images and there was 20 or so new images all from one guys collection - I saw the potential for this to get out of hand.

Basically all I am looking for is the best images being easily available for all to view and search, without having to sift through masses of poor submissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bikini wrote:
2) USE: Grouping images into various categories will make viewing and searching images more user friendly. Unfortunately I can't find the forum link, but there was a great suggestion for grouping submitted images (eg box cover images, boards, arty etc)
That's exactly what tags give us already. The question arises if in the standard tag list we want a separate "board" tag, and a separate "arty" tag... I think we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
That's exactly what tags give us already. The question arises if in the standard tag list we want a separate "board" tag, and a separate "arty" tag... I think we do.

I was envisioning more visible links for each section in the Images Window of each game entry (currently the tags are only accessable if you click the browse link). Perhaps a tag field should also be included when originally submitting an image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I'd like to see:

Categories for game images:

Standard - images of unmodified game parts just as they come from the box.

Mods - images of painted/replaced/added game parts.

That alone would make things better I think.
Too many times I have been wowed by game images only to discover they were substituted parts or painted by skilled players.
I am constantly looking at images hoping the poster put in a text line telling me if it's standard or modified.

Board / Miniature / Card / Rules subcategories might be nice too.

As far as geekgold goes, I still have no idea how to gain/use that. Far too busy looking for good games and people to play them with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.