Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hanickel
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here comes a short instruction in how to create a red/green anaglyph image like this one. You can see the 3D effect only with red/green glasses.

1. At first you need to take two slightly different pictures of your desired object. Take a picture with your camera, then shift your camera about 6,5cm / 2,5" (human eye base) parallel to the left or to the right and take a second picture. The shift has to be smaller if the object (focus) is very close and greater if the object is far away.

2. Open both pictures with your image editing program and decolorize them, i.e. turn them to grayscale images, but retain their RGB color model. If you have a CMYK image or other you have to convet it to RGB first.

3. Select the red color channel of one picture (doesn't matter which one), copy it and paste it to the red color channel of the other picture, that means you replace this single channel with the same channel of the other picture.

4. Finally put on your red/green glasses and align the pasted red channel until you get the best 3D effect. In Photoshop you can display all channels while editing just the red one. Save. Done.

That's it. Disadvatages of this system (red/green glasses) are that it does not work properly with colored images and your object mustn't move while the two pictures are beeing taken.

other examples:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent Michael!

I'm going to try this with some of my miniatures and see how things turn out. I'll be sure to point people back to this thread if I'm successful.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morin
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This article on 3d mapping objects might also be interesting for modeling 3d.

http://www.instructables.com/id/E16Y5T8F22U9YWA/

Not the same thing you are doing, but cool none the less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nolan macfy
United States
flag msg tools

thanks for above instructions.I used to think that making 3D-effect of a picture is hard nut to crake.But now it is quite simple for me.And I have also arrenged red/green glasses for checking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parks
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Doesn't that render a black and white 3D image (meaning all colors are missing except shades or red and blue)?

I've been doing it in PSP by just setting one photo to the red and one to blue (skipping decolorizing) and then using the math function to combine them.. I usually end up with a pretty good color 3D image.

I have noticed if you don't reduce the distance between shots when taking the photo you will need to sit/stand further away to view it (I guess to allow your eyes to focus correctly). You can increase it for photos of objects very far away.

P.S.
Dont get the colors backwards or you'll get whiplashed eyes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hanickel
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this method produces just black and white pictures. The red/green areas disappear when you get on red/green glasses. Through the red glass you can only see the red areas and vice versa; the combination of red an green should then become greyscale in 3D because your two eyes see two slightly different pictures.

I do not use Paint Shop, so how exactly do you set a photo to red/blue? Do you take its red channel or what is the effect?
And what does the math function do? Does it just blent the two pictures?

If I use my method without decolourizing, I get some 3D effect as well, but the colors are very pallid and do not look right through the red/green glasses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parks
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
(Edit: Trashed my insane posts....)

Yeah as you noticed I had completely mashed the whole thing.

Here is a good example of a color 3D photo.

I took the photos and sent them through a VERY nice app that is specific for doing this. http://www.callipygian.com/3D/?fromApplication

It works on windows and allows you to adjust the photos so they will be perfect.

To do this in Paint Shop Pro (any version)...
1) Open both the left and right photo
2) Depending on what type of glasses you have (you may have noticed by my example above my glasses are reversed) you will change the colors.
3) To make the red photo, from the menu, click Colors -> Adjust ->
Red/Green/Blue... and move the red to 0 and set blue and green to -100
4) To make the cyan photo, from the menu, click Colors -> Adjust ->
Red/Green/Blue... and move the red to -100 and set blue and green to 0
5) Click, from menu, Image -> Arithmetic... and choose Add function, and All Channels.

Click OK.

The image that results is a color 3D image.

Now this requires the photos be right before you combine them. If they need shifting do it before combining with the Arithmetic function.

Finally got it all right this time... Sorry for the repostings, deletings and postings again

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parks
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
My Axis and Allies

My version came with the smoke and clouds while your playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This system seems backwards.

The further objects should have the least divergence between views by each eye. The nearest to the viewer should have the greatest disparity.

In the examples, the closest objects are the most solid, while the furthest have disparity.

Place an object 5 inches from your face. Close one eye, then the other. The jump is sizable. Now place the object 1 yard away. The disparity between what the eyes see suddenly is much smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parks
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Try this.

Look out a window.
Hold your finger out in front and look with one eye. Notice how the objects are positioned relative to your finger. Now close that eye and open the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.