Popular Tags: [View All]
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The game comes with enough parts to make up 6 mine counters. However, I cannot find anything in the rules that describes how to use them, and there is no box on the UC II minelayer sub mat to put them.
The rules only say if there is no encounter in E1, then a minelaying mission is automatically successful, so...??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. I just looked over the rules and you're right - the word "similar" in the rulebook and the number of mine counters makes it unclear. I had originally intended to include a number of mine boxes on the UCII boats, and the game was to have a slightly different (more complex) rule for minelaying, but it soon became clear that this would bog the game down in unnecessary complication for no advantage in realism, so I dumped the idea. But in dumping it, I completely dropped the ball on clarifying the rule, and I failed to include a mine box on the UCII boats.

I've looked over the U-boat mat for the UCII and in the next version, I think I'll put a mine box next to the forward torpedo boxes (to indicate where the mine tubes were on the boats), and I'll clarify that mines are delivered in "exactly the same way" as agents. That way what I intended will be totally clear.

By the way, I really appreciate that you're going to the effort and making me aware of these problems. With your help, the game is getting much more polished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so we will only need one mine counter, to signify that the boat is on a minelaying mission. I had thought about putting it in the Agent box, but that would have been kind of odd.
I'd be interested to see the more complicated minelaying rules (I'm good with complicated ). I'm guessing that was something like placing a mine counter in each patrol box, and maybe having to roll to see whether you get blown up by your own mines (which happened a number of times) etc.

On another note, any plans to introduce the UE1 ocean-going minelayers?
Also, I've found a source that says G7 surface ship torpedoes were also used by U-boats. They had double the range and a larger warhead.
Here's a link to them:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTGER_PreWWII.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, one mine counter will do the trick.

I never developed the more complicated minelaying rules. I got as far as making the mine counters and saying to myself "Okay, I'll need rules to govern how the minelaying operation works" and that's about when I figured out that there was no point in making it more complicated than "the boat enters the patrol box, checks for encounters and lays the mines".

No current plans for UE1 boats, but things could change. Right now I'm concentrating on taking some time off from projects, so I'll be fixing any errors, but the chest infection really kicked my butt for a few weeks, so no new content until I get fully recovered, which the doctor said could be as late as the end of January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the best on your speedy and complete recovery, Ian.

I am sure I'm NOT the only one on this board who admires you.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beery wrote:
Yeah, one mine counter will do the trick.

I never developed the more complicated minelaying rules. I got as far as making the mine counters and saying to myself "Okay, I'll need rules to govern how the minelaying operation works" and that's about when I figured out that there was no point in making it more complicated than "the boat enters the patrol box, checks for encounters and lays the mines".

No current plans for UE1 boats, but things could change. Right now I'm concentrating on taking some time off from projects, so I'll be fixing any errors, but the chest infection really kicked my butt for a few weeks, so no new content until I get fully recovered, which the doctor said could be as late as the end of January.

Understood, getting over any illness is more important. If you do ever decide to add the UE class, being long-range boats they would tie in really well with the U-cruisers. Thanks again for making the game and get well soon..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I'm definitely on the mend - antibiotics did the trick. It just takes a while for the body to get back to normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.