Jason B
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my first ever BGG review, for a game that captured my imagination nearly two decades ago. I still remember the first time we saw Blood Bowl and read through the rules. Interspersed throughout the manual were quirky stories of chainsaw wielding looneys, referees dispensing justice with blowtorches and pliars, and much more. It was love at first sight. The actual gameplay? Well, let's just say it was better in theory than in practice in those early days. The rules needed a heavy dose of streamlining, which they have received over the next 20 years.

How does this new box (and Death Zone Season One) stack up? Let's find out!

Components: 8/10

The pieces need to be assembled as the come on sprues, but they are pressed together easy enough. The details are decent and at 32 mm base size, the miniatures are large. The board is heavy stock, dice are good quality. All in all not bad, but for the price those minis could have been preassembled. Also, for a $25.00 book, Death Zone Season One should have been hard cover. Those are just quibbles though.

Single Game Gameplay: 5/10

Blood Bowl is like the Linux of skirmish rules. Through a rules committee and crowd sourcing the rules have become very tightly written, which is great. The actual application of the rules to gameplay is still lacking. For example if you are a fan of professional football you will notice that in this game passing is not a valid offensive strategy, it is merely a last resort of desperation. I would look at this along the lines of the original Zombicide ranged combat rules targeting survivors. It's a rule for balance of the game, but it could and should be done better.

All in all the rules are understandable and straight forward. Why only 5/10 then? Well frankly in this day and age it just doesn't stand up to other skirmish games. If given the choice between a one off game of Blood Bowl or say X-Wing Miniatures, Imperial Assault, or even Space Hulk 3rd Edition, it will lose every time. The turn over rules have sped up game play significantly, but you are still looking at 2+ hour game frequently with heavy (and necessary) doses of turtling as you and your opponent try to game the turn counter.

On going Gameplay: 8/10
This is where the rubber meets the road for this game, and holy cow did Games Workshop knock this part of the re-write of rules out of the park. I was a little concerned when I heard about the Human Catcher re-pricing and Weeping Dagger rules. However, as I read through Death Zone they addressed most of the core issues plaguing league play from LRB 6 and CRP.

Here's a list of the fixes:

*The underdog penalty is mostly gone!
The allocation of special cards as inducements, especially considering the 200K cards are available at 100K is an enormous boon for the underdogs. Before you cry too much for the overdog, bear in mind that inducements were originally designed to be “not quite good enough” to make up a TV gap.

Being able to add cash from treasury to pick up an inducement without having to pay that into TV cost makes some inducements that were just out of reach now available. This makes some of the Star Players much more viable since they were always overcosted in addition to carrying the burden of Loner.

Granted, an overdog can now throw money into inducements, but they are also bearing the full cost of the inducement. This along with higher re-drafting costs makes this an interesting decision. Interesting decisions are good things.

*Runaway TV teams are a thing of the past!
With the new re-drafting rules it's going to be very difficult for teams to maintain and keep a TV over 1500 from season to season. Consider that if your team plays 8 games and averages 2 TDs and 2 Casualties per match, that's only 240,000 added to redrafting. Player retention costs, skill costs, and Expensive Mistakes eating away at the treasury pretty much means an end to the full deck AV9/regeneration teams that used to have 2 dedicated killers, 2 ball handlers, and more Guards than a deck of Love Letter. This is a good thing as the only real counter previously was to either build the same way, or take an agility team and hope to get a couple AG 5 players so the laws of physics would no longer apply to your team.

Most teams now will have some dedicated stars with filler around them. This is much more interesting thematically and adds a lot of character to a team's history. On the pitch team's will be much less able to circumvent uncertainty through a sheer avalanche of skills. It also gives subtle encouragement to score more often for guaranteed re-drafting cash.

*Aging/Off season done right!

Finally they've added a rule in which keeping a star on the roster comes at a cost, but one that isn't tied to negating the player's stat line or tied to level ups. Removing aging after LRB 4 was the right choice, but this is a nice way to add depth and color to a team and player's history. I also like that you can add an assistant coach for free, that's a nice little touch.

The ability to clear out niggles is a minor change, but a nice one, and a small buff for the apothecary.

*Ding dong the killstack is dead!
Allow me to preface this by saying that within a match I rarely felt the killstack (Mighty Blow, Piling On with or without Claw depending on Mutation access) was horribly unbalanced. Where you really felt the sting was with retirement causing injuries. As stated above there existed a nasty underdog penalty and a bad match or two against kill stackers could force the end of a team. Making Piling On optional, and then re-writing the rule to have it not stack with MB and require a team re-roll is huge to the long term viability of teams. This should promote league diversity and make teams much less “disposable”.

*The ref is back!
I've Got My Eye On You was a dud mechanic and few mourned it's loss. Referees were an important part of the game lore though and having them relegated to nothing more than decoration was sad. Now you can argue the call! Fouling needed a slight buff, and now a doubles on a foul is no longer a guaranteed ejection. Good fluffy change.

*Improved MVP rule!
Another change that empowers managers to build teams as they see fit. It is yet another change that has very limited impact on an individual game but is a buff to teams that were likely to need loners and/or suffer catastrophic injuries. This is also really nice even for tough players like Sauri or Black Orc Blockers that were typically painful to level. It's just one more change that makes it easier for a coach's team to keep on keepin'on. Big quality of life improvement for a host of teams.

*Humans finally got their buff!

Humans have one of the richest Blood Bowl histories, but sadly they were not adjusted as their performance dropped over LRB versions. Finally GW has stepped in lowering the cost of Catchers to 60,000. The Blitzers are still over priced by 10,000 but having an MA 8 piece with dodge and catch for 60,000 is a steal. Most Human teams have been fielding 1 or 0 catchers at 70,000. I can't envision a scenario in which I wouldn't have 2 rostered now.

Add this into the fact that Humans are reasonably costed at lower TVs, these guys should be solid Tier 1 in leagues. Granted, I'm not sure how I feel about the agreed upon buff being determined by looking at the amount of armor on a model, but nonetheless this is a substantial and much needed improvement.

Nearly every improvement listed above is a positive change for Humans, they really came out winners in this edition.

Missed opportunities:
*Get rid of the kick off table
I've always felt like this was more of a nuisance than anything. Quick Snap, Riot, Perfect Defense, Blitz, Pitch Invasion all add unnecessary time to a game that's already a little too long. If they just trashed this it probably would cut on average 15 minutes of game time. Just set up, and let's go!

*Miss Next Game Injuries
Stat decreases and niggles add a lot of theme and flavor and should stay. I still have never seen the need to pile on to it by forcing players to miss the next game. The sting has substantially come out of this one, but still not sure why those players can't be taped up, drugged up, and thrown into the next match.

*Concession Rule

This should be optional. When determining penalties that impact the long term history of teams (especially if there is a single bad night) a league should opt into those penalties. Yes, this is a nitpick.

*Passing
Still the least valuable skill tree. The fumble rule on passes is tremendously punishing, there should either be an addition to an existing pass skill or a new one that guarantees a launch (inaccurate or not). No, standing there stupidly with the ball with Safe Throw or a guaranteed inaccurate Hail Mary doesn't cut it.

Overall 7/10
This is a good game and a huge improvement over LRB6 and CRP. Even if you don't want the new board, rulers, or teams in the box set (which you'll need eventually since the size difference of the pitch and rulers make this incompatible with prior releases) I cannot stress enough that you should pick up Death Zone Season One for the new league rules.

When I first heard this was essentially just a new box for LRB6 it was a hard pass for me. After seeing reviews of the rules I realized that GW had truly fixed a lot of the ongoing league issues. The game his been shaken up in a good way, and managers have more decisions to make than every. I'm very excited to start up a league, and can't wait for my son to open his Skaven box team on Christmas morning (he loves the rats from Blood Bowl Team Manager).

A hearty thank you to Tom Anders and the BBRC for a tightly structured ruleset and for GW going the extra mile when they probably could have just gone for a half hearted cash grab.
49 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good write up.
EastCoast wrote:

*Get rid of the kick off table
I've always felt like this was more of a nuisance than anything. Quick Snap, Riot, Perfect Defense, Blitz, Pitch Invasion all add unnecessary time to a game that's already a little too long. If they just trashed this it probably would cut on average 15 minutes of game time. Just set up, and let's go!

I kind of like the kick-off table, since it gives more variability to the game. But I definitely do agree that some of them are WAY overpowered and can totally determine the outcome of the game, with the right dice rolls, which is wrong. Some should either have less effect, or a positive counter-effect for the team that is hit hardest.

Quote:
*Passing
Still the least valuable skill tree. The fumble rule on passes is tremendously punishing, there should either be an addition to an existing pass skill or a new one that guarantees a launch (inaccurate or not). No, standing there stupidly with the ball with Safe Throw or a guaranteed inaccurate Hail Mary doesn't cut it.

It could use a minor buff, but then again it could make elves over powered if not done correctly. I've often wondered if moving the agility table on notch just for passing and perhaps catching (Ie, AG4 = 2+, AG3 = 3+, AG2 = 4+, etc.) would do the trick.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikomakhos
msg tools
Avatar
Great read, thank you for writing. This has made me interested in the new edition, sound like good changes. League play is totally where it's at!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nichols
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EastCoast wrote:
*Passing
Still the least valuable skill tree.


This is true, but I don't think it matters. Three of the skill trees - GAS - are often the only tree available to a player. If you're a human lineman you'll end up taking lots of G assuming you live long enough. A skink will take lots of A and a mummy lots of S. This means that these skill trees need plenty of viable options or you'll just end up taking filler.

However, P and M are different as (I think) all players with access to these have access to at least one other skill tree as well. This means that any skills you take from here are an added bonus. Your passer will want some skills from P, but will also want some from G as well (e.g. block, safe hands, fend). If they have A access (e.g. various types of elf) they'll probably want dodge, maybe sidestep.

This means you don't need loads of skills to make P access worthwhile and if your player is a passer rather than a runner (in terms of how you play them rather than what they're called) you'll want at least pass and accurate. Nerves of steel and safe throw, while not as important as pass and accurate, are also useful.

P access on runners, however, is fairly useless. Maybe dump-off could be good as your runner will get blocked more than a passer who stays back. Dark elf players would know whether this is actually a good skill.

Whether a passer or a runner, you'll want one player to have leader.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
The kick off table creates some of the most memorable events in the game but can be annoying when it goes bad for you. Eliminating it without replacing it with some other initial drive randomizer would make the setups and first turns way to uniform and boring.

Passing is a reasonable Tree. Generally people are not playing anything for the access and Leader is good for most teams, while Accurate is helpful for avoiding those fumbles you mention.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
The kick off table creates some of the most memorable events in the game but can be annoying when it goes bad for you. Eliminating it without replacing it with some other initial drive randomizer would make the setups and first turns way to uniform and boring.


I agree. I was in the camp of wanting to do something to nerf Blitz until recently, when I was setting up my Skaven against a Dwarf team that had to leave a hole on one sideline. I wanted to load all my rats over there, but I realized I'd be screwed if my opponent rolled a Perfect Defense. It kept me honest, and kept things from being more one-sided than they actually were. It made me realize how critical the Perfefct Defense, Quick Snap, and Blitz are to the game, and that they should probably be left as is.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, complaining about Kick-Off table, yet the blood in Blood Bowl has been replaced by bruises with the changes to the results in it already. Miss the good ol' days when Throw a Rock and Pitch Invasion were REAL injury rolls, none of this lame, wussified, "oh, you're Stunned" softy crap angry !
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
The kickoff table, cards, and wizards presence all influence how experienced coaches play. In my last game, I scored in turn 7 when I could have stalled since my opponent was holding two cards and did not want to get hit with the wrong one on my turn eight. This gave him 2 turns to score but he failed. We also had a Blitz where my catcher got in position to catch my kick off to the opponent but he failed (and got mugged afterward anyway).

The biggest swing is probably the +2 FAME pitch invasion event. This will generally ruin your drive in a way that is very hard to recover from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyNichols wrote:
EastCoast wrote:
*Passing
Still the least valuable skill tree.


This is true, but I don't think it matters. Three of the skill trees - GAS - are often the only tree available to a player. If you're a human lineman you'll end up taking lots of G assuming you live long enough. A skink will take lots of A and a mummy lots of S. This means that these skill trees need plenty of viable options or you'll just end up taking filler.

However, P and M are different as (I think) all players with access to these have access to at least one other skill tree as well. This means that any skills you take from here are an added bonus. Your passer will want some skills from P, but will also want some from G as well (e.g. block, safe hands, fend). If they have A access (e.g. various types of elf) they'll probably want dodge, maybe sidestep.

This means you don't need loads of skills to make P access worthwhile and if your player is a passer rather than a runner (in terms of how you play them rather than what they're called) you'll want at least pass and accurate. Nerves of steel and safe throw, while not as important as pass and accurate, are also useful.

P access on runners, however, is fairly useless. Maybe dump-off could be good as your runner will get blocked more than a passer who stays back. Dark elf players would know whether this is actually a good skill.

Whether a passer or a runner, you'll want one player to have leader.


Thanks for the feedback, Andy! I've actually played quite a bit of Blood Bowl over the years so I'm pretty familiar with the skills and builds. What I'm actually getting at is that passing is a huge draw in American football. Quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc. are perennial MVP candidates. A significant criticism of Blood Bowl is that in doesn't do a particularly good job of incorporating passing into the game. It was an area that was not addressed in this version of the game. If it was a deal breaker for you before, it's still a deal breaker now.

For me personally, the new league, pre-match, and post-match options added far outweigh this and any other quibbles I have with the in-match play. If you like the current passing rules, then this game should be an 8 or 9 for you with the new league options. I'd recommend picking it up if you haven't done so already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
The kickoff table, cards, and wizards presence all influence how experienced coaches play. In my last game, I scored in turn 7 when I could have stalled since my opponent was holding two cards and did not want to get hit with the wrong one on my turn eight. This gave him 2 turns to score but he failed. We also had a Blitz where my catcher got in position to catch my kick off to the opponent but he failed (and got mugged afterward anyway).

The biggest swing is probably the +2 FAME pitch invasion event. This will generally ruin your drive in a way that is very hard to recover from.


Absolutely. There isn't a wizard in this version, though I wouldn't be surprised to see one added in Season 2. I get why people want some additional mayhem, but since there's now going to be at least 2 Random Event cards in play every single match, I'm not sure why random events should still be attached to the kick off table. It seems like a nice place to cut some time from a game that's a little too long.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
EastCoast wrote:
AndyNichols wrote:
EastCoast wrote:
*Passing
Still the least valuable skill tree.


This is true, but I don't think it matters. Three of the skill trees - GAS - are often the only tree available to a player. If you're a human lineman you'll end up taking lots of G assuming you live long enough. A skink will take lots of A and a mummy lots of S. This means that these skill trees need plenty of viable options or you'll just end up taking filler.

However, P and M are different as (I think) all players with access to these have access to at least one other skill tree as well. This means that any skills you take from here are an added bonus. Your passer will want some skills from P, but will also want some from G as well (e.g. block, safe hands, fend). If they have A access (e.g. various types of elf) they'll probably want dodge, maybe sidestep.

This means you don't need loads of skills to make P access worthwhile and if your player is a passer rather than a runner (in terms of how you play them rather than what they're called) you'll want at least pass and accurate. Nerves of steel and safe throw, while not as important as pass and accurate, are also useful.

P access on runners, however, is fairly useless. Maybe dump-off could be good as your runner will get blocked more than a passer who stays back. Dark elf players would know whether this is actually a good skill.

Whether a passer or a runner, you'll want one player to have leader.


Thanks for the feedback, Andy! I've actually played quite a bit of Blood Bowl over the years so I'm pretty familiar with the skills and builds. What I'm actually getting at is that passing is a huge draw in American football. Quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc. are perennial MVP candidates. A significant criticism of Blood Bowl is that in doesn't do a particularly good job of incorporating passing into the game. It was an area that was not addressed in this version of the game. If it was a deal breaker for you before, it's still a deal breaker now.

For me personally, the new league, pre-match, and post-match options added far outweigh this and any other quibbles I have with the in-match play. If you like the current passing rules, then this game should be an 8 or 9 for you with the new league options. I'd recommend picking it up if you haven't done so already.


The passing rules are not the problem. They are reasonably accurate to the accuracy of real football players when you scale the field properly. The issue is that the live ball with no downs. No one in the NFL will air it out if the ball on the ground could just be picked up by anyone. I think if you really wanted people to throw longer passes you would probably have to make it hand off or pass instead of hand off and pass. Currently moving the ball from end zone to end zone for elves is pretty much a hand off and a quick pass.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
The biggest swing is probably the +2 FAME pitch invasion event. This will generally ruin your drive in a way that is very hard to recover from.


This happened to me in my last game! Half of my Goblin team were stunned on the first turn, My first model to activate was a Ball and Chain fanatic who rolled and rerolled Both Down on 2 dice, He killed himself. First turn, first player! It was Hilarious!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EastCoast wrote:

*Miss Next Game Injuries
Stat decreases and niggles add a lot of theme and flavor and should stay. I still have never seen the need to pile on to it by forcing players to miss the next game. The sting has substantially come out of this one, but still not sure why those players can't be taped up, drugged up, and thrown into the next match.


Simple solution to this. Treat all "Miss next game" as "Playing Hurt" This player add's +1 to all injury results next game.

This still gives you the option to bench a player while they recover, or riskily play them if they are really needed!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWyant wrote:
EastCoast wrote:

*Miss Next Game Injuries
Stat decreases and niggles add a lot of theme and flavor and should stay. I still have never seen the need to pile on to it by forcing players to miss the next game. The sting has substantially come out of this one, but still not sure why those players can't be taped up, drugged up, and thrown into the next match.


Simple solution to this. Treat all "Miss next game" as "Playing Hurt" This player add's +1 to all injury results next game.

This still gives you the option to bench a player while they recover, or riskily play them if they are really needed!


That is a great solution, Mike. The only reason I have a minor gripe is don't enjoy house ruling. This would have been exactly the solution GW should have put in the new book. I wish they'd given you a call...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to hire Journeymen players for free makes up for a lot of the sting of missing next game. Plus the journeyman will likely have less TV than your injured player. More money for inducements...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still a crap mechanic, right up there with the all time greats like "miss a turn". It just doesn't need to be there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mole Hill
England
flag msg tools
Being as i play irregularly, i'm not a big fan of miss a game either. And I like to see all the models in use.

So in our "house rules" any missed game player can play in the next game BUT: adds +1 on his injury rolls, (as they are already injured)
Go's for it on a 3+ (as they may prolapse their intestines straining)
And has a maximum AV of 8 (tough guys seem to go for it less)

Still i'm undecided whether to take my strength 2 smashed collar bone skaven Blitzer in my next game..... do i take weak block with higher AV or a journeyman AV7 with loner?

Yes i know, some managers would beg to be in that position......

Bloody fouling skeleton linemen!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Molmutius wrote:
Being as i play irregularly, i'm not a big fan of miss a game either. And I like to see all the models in use.

So in our "house rules" any missed game player can play in the next game BUT: adds +1 on his injury rolls, (as they are already injured)
Go's for it on a 3+ (as they may prolapse their intestines straining)
And has a maximum AV of 8 (tough guys seem to go for it less)

Still i'm undecided whether to take my strength 2 smashed collar bone skaven Blitzer in my next game..... do i take weak block with higher AV or a journeyman AV7 with loner?

Yes i know, some managers would beg to be in that position......

Bloody fouling skeleton linemen!


I definitely like the risk/reward aspect. I'm a little surprised they didn't do something similar. I think MikeWyant's proposal is interesting, as is yours. Personally, I'd probably say treat them as niggled for the game, and give them the decay skill for the game because of their susceptibility to injury.

I like these ideas because as the team manager you have a choice, do I take the risk of playing my guy or not.

In your case, you've got to take the loner. Your blitzer will get 2 diced the entire game, AV8 just can't take that abuse.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, I only have a few issues with your opinions.

EastCoast wrote:
*Ding dong the killstack is dead!
Allow me to preface this by saying that within a match I rarely felt the killstack (Mighty Blow, Piling On with or without Claw depending on Mutation access) was horribly unbalanced. Where you really felt the sting was with retirement causing injuries. As stated above there existed a nasty underdog penalty and a bad match or two against kill stackers could force the end of a team. Making Piling On optional, and then re-writing the rule to have it not stack with MB and require a team re-roll is huge to the long term viability of teams. This should promote league diversity and make teams much less “disposable”.




This was a huge mistake.This was basically killing off Chaos teams. Chaos is one of the worst teams to play as it takes forever to get a viable team. The sheer joy is worth it the first time you clawBomb a high profile player. The number of games it takes to even get a single clawbomb is daunting let alone a team of 2-3 of them.
I understand that in the electronic versions of the game, it was a needed change as they can play a lot more, but for the board game it will cripple Chaos in league play.

Chaos also has a role in a table top league as the league regulators.Chaos teams weed out the overly powerful teams, this is now gone and with the new MVP rules we are going to see some really stupidly over powered teams.


EastCoast wrote:
*Improved MVP rule!
Another change that empowers managers to build teams as they see fit. It is yet another change that has very limited impact on an individual game but is a buff to teams that were likely to need loners and/or suffer catastrophic injuries. This is also really nice even for tough players like Sauri or Black Orc Blockers that were typically painful to level. It's just one more change that makes it easier for a coach's team to keep on keepin'on. Big quality of life improvement for a host of teams.


Perhaps the worst rule change in their version. We are now in an age of 5th edition warhammer where we get to play hero-hammer in blood bowl.

I can see it now by week 5 every Black Ork has Block, every Halfling treeman will have block and grab. Its going to get really stupid at some point.

Overall I give the new rule set a 4/10. I think the last CRP was actually a stronger rule set.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

This was a huge mistake.This was basically killing off Chaos teams.

I don't think you've taken the rest of the ruleset changes into account. Pile On was made strong in CRP because there was no aging mechanic. The new rules add pseudo-aging and redrafting to the mix. Those weeding services Chaos performed are no longer needed. The only team that actually relied on PO as a strategy was Norse because of their glass cannon style of play. They took the biggest hit, not Chaos.

If you actually look at the rules and calculate the re-drafting costs I think you'll find most teams hovering around 1500 TV. With GSM access on normal rolls, if a coach can't win with Chaos at that TV level, I'd suggest the problem isn't the team or their access to CRP-style Pile On...


Quote:
Chaos teams weed out the overly powerful teams, this is now gone and with the new MVP rules we are going to see some really stupidly over powered teams.


The changes you are referencing didn't just happen in a vaccum. I'm not sure if you've seen it but they overhauled the team maintenance piece.

To whit, if I play a 10 game season for my league, I will get 100,000 gold for the purposes of re-drafting.

If I average 2 TDs and 2 Casualties per match (which is probably where most teams will wind up give or take) I will get 200,000 for the purposes of re-drafting.

Most teams will keep at or around 190,000GP in the treasury to avoid expensive mistakes.

That gives you 1,000,000 + 100,000 + 200,000 + 190,000 or 1,490,000 to put toward your players (rerolls, apoth, FFs) are included. Sorry, I don't think any roster is unbeatable at that level. Context is really important.

Quote:

Perhaps the worst rule change in their version. We are now in an age of 5th edition warhammer where we get to play hero-hammer in blood bowl.

I can see it now by week 5 every Black Ork has Block, every Halfling treeman will have block and grab. Its going to get really stupid at some point.


Yes, I expect Orc coaches to nominate their BOBs for MVP. I don't see how that is an actual problem. If you are, for example a Chaos coach your CWs can be nominated just as easily and are still easier to get TDs and Vanity passes so you should be able to outpace them.

This version has a lot more management interaction, I think that's a good thing.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brion Lienhart
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi Everybody! I've been playing Blood Bowl on and off since the edition with the styrofoam field (Astrogranite). I got my tax refund recently and picked up this newest edition, Deathzone & the Skaven box set. I've read both the LRB and CRP, but never got around to playing any games under those rules. I like the new rules upon reading, and I've actually been playing the Blood Bowl 2 computer game thanks to the 50% off coupon that was in the box.

Anyway, nice review. Although, speaking of Mutations, besides Chaos teams, Skaven can get Mutations too. Since I was born in the Year of the Rat, I usually feel obligated to field a Skaven team and this will be my 3rd one. Fortunately, I've still got most of my old minis from the older editions so I'll be starting a Rat Ogre on my roster.

If you get the aforementioned Teams of Legend PDF from Games Workshop there are a couple more flavors of Chaos and the Underworld Denizens that have Mutations. The Denizens team, my second favorite team race is a mix of Skaven and Goblins & Troll and they all get mutations as a normal skill choice. Sadly, no goblin secret weapons.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EastCoast wrote:
It's still a crap mechanic, right up there with the all time greats like "miss a turn". It just doesn't need to be there.

Wait a minute! Can't players still die? If so, why on earth can a player not miss a game?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with previous editions, death and miss next game are both still in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcpranno wrote:
EastCoast wrote:
It's still a crap mechanic, right up there with the all time greats like "miss a turn". It just doesn't need to be there.

Wait a minute! Can't players still die? If so, why on earth can a player not miss a game?


It's a crap mechanic. I neglect to see it's purpose. Death happens and shapes your roster. Permanent injuries happen, and shape future decisions on players. These are meaningful and helps build a colorful history for teams. I like them both very much.

Miss next game is an inconvenience for the sake of inconvenience that applies to your next match. The existence of death and permanent injury in this game doesn't make MNG a necessity or a good mechanic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EastCoast wrote:
It's a crap mechanic. I neglect to see it's purpose. Death happens and shapes your roster. Permanent injuries happen, and shape future decisions on players. These are meaningful and helps build a colorful history for teams. I like them both very much.

Miss next game is an inconvenience for the sake of inconvenience that applies to your next match. The existence of death and permanent injury in this game doesn't make MNG a necessity or a good mechanic.


While it's not a necessity, I think it's an interesting and fun part of the team management section of the game. It's no more an "inconvenience" than death is. If your players are either "dead" or "able to play", (or stat-busted/niggled, of course) there's one less factor that you might have to decide on. Do you take an inducement while your star Wardancer is in hospital, or replace him with a mercenary for one game? Can you get by with a Journeyman for that game against Dwarves? Is it worth the potential loss to save some treasury? And so on...

It's never occurred to me that MNGs are an annoyance; they've always just been a part of team management. It seems like not having them would make a lot of decisions more routine.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.