Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Initiative and playing your cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Merlin M
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a few rules minutiae clarifications and questions about how you physically play the game around initiative. I’m probably guilty of creative misinterpretation and definitely guilty of excessive pedantry, as most of them appear to have fairly obvious answers. But as far as I can tell those obvious answers are only implied by the rules, not actual rules text.

1. At the start of the round each player will "secretly select two cards from his hand to play facedown in front of him."
Does that sentence actually mean "secretly select two cards from his hand and play them facedown" i.e. immediately? If you only select cards at this point, when do you actually place them down on the table?

2. How do players reveal their selected leading cards? The rules don’t say simultaneously, so can I wait until everyone else has revealed their card and then decide which of my two cards I’m going to use as lead (possibly getting an advantage)? I assume that it’s intended to be simultaneous, or simply don’t be a jerk?

3. When you play cards in front of you during initiative determination, that just means anywhere there is enough room, yes? There is no dedicated "space" for cards where you play them – only for when they are discarded, lost, or active?

4. If there is a tie in initiative, "consult the non-leading card of each player to break the tie". I presume this is intended to mean that you only consult the non-leading card of each tied player, rather than each player?

5. If there is a tie in initiative, who "consults"? Do the tied initiative players secretly look at each other’s non-leading cards? Or are the cards turned over for all to see? If the cards are turned over, do they remain like that, or are they turned back after initiative order is determined, and then remain facedown until it’s that player’s turn?

6. Once the initiative order is determined, and the first player is about to act, everyone else’s already revealed card remains revealed on the table, correct? So players acting earlier in the round can look at the revealed card of players who are acting later in the round and make or change decisions, based on what they see?

7. When does each player flip his non-leading card? Seems obvious it’s on your turn, but the rules don’t appear to ever tell you to turn your second card over!

8. If two or more characters take a long rest at the same time, and are the same distance from a monster, who does the monster focus on?

9. When the initiative for the round reaches 99, is there any order in which multiple resting characters "act"? They didn’t have any leading or non-leading cards to determine initiative with, so those rules don’t apply here. Or will this situation never have any game effect so it doesn’t matter in which order they act?

Merlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merlixir wrote:
definitely guilty of excessive pedantry

I concur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm not sure I understand the question. From your hand of cards, you choose 2 of them and place them face down. You do so without telling the other players what they are.

2. As per the rules video (you have watched it right? ), the leading card should be on top. Then, simultaneously, players flip over that top card. ok, it doesnt have to be simultaneous, but you've already chosen your leading card in the above point.

3. Yeah, you just have them near you, they are in limbo effectively.

4. Yes, each tied player.

5. It really doesn't matter, just reveal and show the number.

6. I'm not sure about this, but to try to keep in the spirit of the game, the acting player should not really look specifically at what the other players cards do.

7. When it is your turn.

8. Good question. In the light of no other specific ruling, I say the players choose.

9. Doesnt have any game effect as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merlin M
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
1. I'm not sure I understand the question. From your hand of cards, you choose 2 of them and place them face down. You do so without telling the other players what they are..

Yeah this was probably the most pedantic bit (I blame over-excited rules-reading while waiting for the game to arrive. And a rules-lawyer friend). Basically the rules just say choose the cards that you intend to play. They don't actually say to play them. I was confirming that you both select and play your cards at this point.

PaulGrogan wrote:
2. As per the rules video (you have watched it right? ), the leading card should be on top. Then, simultaneously, players flip over that top card. ok, it doesnt have to be simultaneous, but you've already chosen your leading card in the above point.

Sure have watched it! Spectacularly good.
Good point - you've already chosen your leading card by having it on top, so it doesn't matter.

PaulGrogan wrote:

So if I'm first player, and players 2 and 3 have tied, I can now see both cards of both players? Spirit of the game again I imagine to keep my eyes off their cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as the cards are chosen and revealed, you can discuss however much you want and look at other people's cards to see what they are doing and react to it.

For #8, as in all cases of ambiguity, players choose.

Man, I really need to get this game released. Some of you appear to be going crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Man, I really need to get this game released. Some of you appear to be going crazy.

Yes, and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RavenMad
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:

Two of the truest things said in 2016. And yes, HURRY UP! LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merlixir wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

So if I'm first player, and players 2 and 3 have tied, I can now see both cards of both players? Spirit of the game again I imagine to keep my eyes off their cards.

Not exactly in the rules, but this is an easy fix. Just say your tie-breaker number out loud and don't cheat. It can be verified before the end of the round. If someone does cheat, kick them out and never invite them back again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skire Kreshnar
msg tools
logris wrote:
Merlixir wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Not exactly in the rules, but this is an easy fix. Just say your tie-breaker number out loud and don't cheat. It can be verified before the end of the round. If someone does cheat, kick them out and never invite them back again.

Except the rules allow for everyone to see everyone's cards in full and discuss their tactics based on what's revealed. This has even said by Isaac in this very thread =p

I assumed that was the whole point of not having to choose which card is doing what until after the reveal (beyond which is the leading of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:

That's how you can tell you've got a hit on your hands!

For what it's worth, I thought the rulebook was very clear and well-written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.