Popular Tags: geekgold [+] GG [+] [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Great Geek Gold Give Away – Terms And Conditions App
You have posted some nice images here. I'd like to hear how you manage to take such clear photos. I seem to be unable to get anything decent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Idea, wish you had run this gig before I have discoverd geek mod.
I have been painstakingly storing up GG for an avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
ekted wrote:
You have posted some nice images here. I'd like to hear how you manage to take such clear photos. I seem to be unable to get anything decent.

I'd like to know too. Some of the answer is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22030. But, I'm not sure that explains all of it. GIMP can't do it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could add my recent list too for some further tips:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21725

But when it comes down to it, you need a bit of artistic talent, some good lighting and plenty of practise.

I am missing number 1 and (living in Bolton - rain capital of the world) frequently number 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not talking about ability to setup a good shot, or about editing. I just mean getting good results snapping the image. Mine always seem to come out blurry or grainy, even in macro mode, whether I use manual or auto focus. If I use too much light I get glare. Not enough and the image is too dark.

For example, I could never even come close to this beautiful, sharp, clear, and well-lit image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key to a good photo is lighting, a decent camera, and some vision of what you want the shot to look like.

Oh, and patience.

I don't use any photo editing in any of my photos. All I do is setup the shot, snap a few of the same shots (for some reason the same shot taken three times gives three different outcomes), crop and resize so they are not so big.

Out of about 20 or so photos I will use 3 or 4.. maybe 8 or 9 if i'm lucky. Most of my highest rated photos here on the geek are taken at my desk on my fifteen minute break wow (don't tell my boss)!

I don't use any special lighting or editing software for any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,
As a complete camera idiot who really struggles with lighting I was able to improve my own shots by learning what Aperture was about and how increasing it affects my photos. Pull out your owners manual and give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Canon Powershot S30. How do I play with aperture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Av, macro mode, with good lighting, with and without flash, and tried apertures from 2.0 to 8.0. They all look identically crappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I used Av, macro mode, with good lighting, with and without flash, and tried apertures from 2.0 to 8.0. They all look identically crappy.

What were you taking pictures of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nice idea - I was surprised how many images I had 'thumbed' - having checked they're mostly the images I would chose as representative images for my collection, and use in my gallery view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamephotos wrote:
ekted wrote:

Upload them to your User Gallery and let me have a look.

Uploaded: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/29172

The one using flash is just ok, but still not anywhere near as clear as the good images here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hey! before you GIVE that ALL away, then perhaps you ought to obtain a "Geek & Uber Badges" for yourself, as those COST 100 in total, and nobody can "blame" you for doing this, as it'll still leave you with plenty leftover then. The Best regards to you and whomever you are able to assist with this as well.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabulous! Great idea and wonderful generosity become you well! Not that I qualify in any respect. Here's my 2 cents, thumbsupthumbsup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
New Zealand
Porirua
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your generosity deserves a reward - have some GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
gamephotos wrote:
ekted wrote:

Upload them to your User Gallery and let me have a look.

Uploaded: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/29172

The one using flash is just ok, but still not anywhere near as clear as the good images here.

Three words for you - light, light and light. Your eyes are a lot more efficient at adapting to low light than a camera. What might seem like a good light level to you may not be good enough for a camera. Was this image taken indoors under normal electric lighting? That would probably not be good enough for a camera without a flash.

The aperture of 8.0 was taken on a 0.25 second exposure. Firstly this will give you camera shake (I am amazed you avoided it, you must have very steady hands - gamephotos advice of 1/60th sec max is a good rule of thumb).

Secondly this indicates that light levels were way too low. Even the aperture of 2.8 gave you an exposure of 1/30th sec. The low light levels are reflected in the colour saturation and brightness of the final image.

It looks like you live in Maine (that is NE US right?). At this time of year the natural light should be perfect and available well in to the evening. Try taking the same photos right by a window or even outside. If you get glare from direct sun move into the shade (light levels will still be good outside or near a north facing window). An aperture of F2.8 will give you shutter speeds of 1/200th sec or faster and a much better image.

Hope this helps - keep trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding it quite difficult to reach 100 images thumbs upped. I went through 200 pages last night but only got up to 50 images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
I'm finding it quite difficult to reach 100 images thumbs upped. I went through 200 pages last night but only got up to 50 images.

I found a good way to start is to go through the image galleries of the games with which you are most familiar. You will already have a good sense of what the game looks and feels like, so identifying the better images should be easier.

Also (and it will take a bit to settle on what you consider your standards for "thumbable" images), make sure to consider recommending both "artistic" and "imformative" images. The artistic ones that make you go "wow" tend to draw the most attention, but a lot of Users submit technically sound, useful images of either a game in play or a game's components that are very helpful in understanding what a game is about. Often, these "journalistic" images get overlooked.

Either way, thanks for taking the time to go through ~3,000 images already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:

I'm not participating in that contest; but often, when i see an image that i like, i look up the contributions of that user, and usually find more nice images.

Hey, i have a great idea: Why don't you start by looking at the images i uploaded? cool But you need to set the sort to 'hot' instead of 'recent', since my latest images are quite boring snore

BTW 'gamephotos': Thanks for your thumbs. Your total of 7400 thumbsup given is impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Great Geek Gold Give Away – Terms And Conditions Apply
Werbaer wrote:
Hey, i have a great idea: Why don't you start by looking at the images i uploaded?

A more serious hint: gamephotos himself has a high number of excellent photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box fronts - good box front shots need more love. They may be prosaic but they are really useful, almost always the representative image (barring Taj Mahal) and can be very effective when done right.

And you can filter just to images categorised as box front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. C.
Canada
Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks - I was able to afford an avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the Gamephotos!

ekimmel wrote:

I started out with images I remembered being good, but haven't given a thumb up yet, then I looked through the images my geekbuddies uploaded (one hand washes the other) and after that I checked the image galleries of the games I own.

I found about 200 good/very good images that way and will continue giving many more thumbs in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

People really need to thumb more images. So thanks to this thread I decided to thumb up at least 100 images this week. Haven't got far yet but I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
Great idea!

People really need to thumb more images. So thanks to this thread I decided to thumb up at least 100 images this week. Haven't got far yet but I will.

I agree and I have been trying this for a while but I am finding myself exasperated at the inefficiency of it all. Is there any way of thumbing direct from an image gallery? I keep losing patience because you have to open each image in it's own window.

The alternative of paging through a game gallery is slightly more efficient but I can usually tell which images I would thumb from the thumbnails in the 'gallery' view.

All credit to those who have already handed out a load of thumbs to images, I just wish it were easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.