Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to get a microphone to plug into my computer. My laptop has 1/8" and USB ports. The mic I was looking at is XLR. Would it be an issue to plug the mic into an XLR to 1/4" adapter, plug that adapter into a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and then plug that into the computer? They don't make XLR to 1/8" adapters, do they?
I know they make USB microphones, so I might end up going that way, but I'd like to get this XLR mic if possible.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
They don't make XLR to 1/8" adapters, do they

$41.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw...

The thing is, since the size disparity is so freakin huge, you have to get a cable version, or they would just snap.

This one works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the XLR -> 1/4 -> 1/8 cause a problem? I can do that for about $10, since I already have a 1/4 to 1/8, so I'd much prefer that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will probably have a quality degredation. If you're doing it for podcasts or such, you just may need a littlw work on the EQ and a compressor or such.

In general, you want to use as few connections and adapters as possible.

Try it, see if you mind the results, and just make sure the weight of the XLR doesn't snap the 1/8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul. Ya know, I figured it would be you replying...I should have just e-mailed you.

It will be for recording music, but it's doesn't have to be studio quality or anything. Just a way to get some ideas down. Heck, I'll be micing my entire drum set with a single microphone, so you know it won't be studio quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this?

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/288628.html

Added bonus is that Full Compass is about 1/2 mile from my work, so no shipping costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks perfect for what you want to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
The main benefit of XLR for computer recording is that it's balanced, i.e. can reject a bit of hum from a CRT monitor or whatever. If your soundcard isn't balanced, you lose that benefit. So maybe you need an audio interface (XLR at one end, USB / Firewire at the other).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The cable you're looking at does look right - it'll mean you get the mic signal to both channels on your PC recording package. Keep the cable as short as possible to avoid the hum issues that sbszine was mentioning, and definitely don't let the lead coil, 'cos it seems to make it worse, in my (limited) experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.