Meinrad Zuchnut-Belgaard
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was dissapointed to find that the new Star Trek RISK doesn't include interstellar war and spaceships from the dominant races, but is instead a silly Q-created situation that pits Starfleet captains across eras against each other.

I'm working on a conversion that makes the game a little more interesting. (now posted to the game files section!)

The ruleset I went for aligns closer to 2210AD, as the Star Trek: RISK game already has a currency (command points) which aligns identically to energy in RISK 2210AD.

In a nutshell the most important changes are:

-Flagships can be purchased, allow you to use 8-sided die instead of 6-sided in combat

-Starbases can be purchased, adds +1 to highest die when defending

- Game is 5 rounds long and the player with the most points wins. Points are given for locations, sector reinforcement bonuses, and homeworlds add a big bonus to scoring (Romulus, Earth, Qo'nos, Cardassia, Breen, and Ferenginar). Losing your own homeworld is a big negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Galactic War Version in development: Federation and Empires
I like it!

I haven't played this game yet, but why they went with pitting Starfleet captains against each other is beyond me.

Come on, if I'm a Federation Captain, I want to fight Klingons etc. in huge space battles! That would be awesome, IMO.

Please keep us posted with developments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meinrad Zuchnut-Belgaard
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb

Here are some pictures of the conversion in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really interested in this. I'm getting this for Christmas, so I haven't played it yet, but I love variations on games I already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meinrad Zuchnut-Belgaard
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Star Trek RISK: Federation and Empires conversion rules and playing pieces are posted to the files section of the RISK: Star Trek 50th anniversary game page at Boardgamegeek. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My playing group had pretty much the same complaint with the original game as you did. Your idea and implementation was almost exactly what we were looking for! The only issue we had was that we wanted more variety in the ships and species. To that end, I created and uploaded an expansion of sorts to compliment yours. Hope you don't mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meinrad Zuchnut-Belgaard
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds cool! Can't wait to have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VIN 666
msg tools
mb
I just ordered this game, full well knowing what I'm in for.
While I don't doubt, that this game will be entertaining and allow me (trek dork) to enjoy a Risk light experience (2 players about 2 hours instead of 10...), I just think, that with a few mods this could be an amazing co-op game.

Since we have a "fleet" of federation forces and a fairly neat map of the alpha and beta quadrant, it would seem to me, that fighting off an NPC dominion army would be dope!
I mean, all the key areas are there. DS9, Cardassian space, Klingon empire, breen area etc.

Could be sweet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meinrad Zuchnut-Belgaard
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The 2 player experience is about a half hour. 45 minutes if you're lucky. Its very quick, and you don't really play against each other necessarily, it's more about who can collect missions faster. Honestly, it's not a very good gaming experience IMHO.

Maybe I'll try making a two-player variant that utilizes the Federation & Empires playing pieces, with a neutral third player, a-la the Risk "Balance of Power" rules. A neutral third army would really slow the game down and make it more strategic.

As for the Dominion, I toyed with the idea of making a separate map of the Gamma quadrant, so it would be a separated but accessible through the Bajoran wormhole.

That could work in a co-op scenario, or as a separate territory as it does in Risk 2210. It would definitely make the Bajor location a crux of heavy fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VIN 666
msg tools
mb
I'm pretty sure that the intent of this game was to have something to sell to people watching the ST show, that's an easy game to pick up.
Not something for "gamers" per se.
I like your mods and to me, the map seems like the perfect battlefield for the dominion attack. Don't even need the gamma quadrant.
The dominion could just scoot through the wormhole at given points or when prompted from an event card.

Example: you could play a standard risk game, but then, rather than spreading the tribble virus, the dominion could kick in.

Or, maybe you agree on a turn when the dominion appears. Say 10 turns in or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.