Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we are all new to the game but I wanted to have a hint on 3 questions before I play too many scenarios...

1- Does a unit that uses its LOS for a Mortar have to be in range itself of the target? If not, a unit could theoricaly have a 20 hexes range LOS to a target that is at 16 long range hexes from the Mortar.

2- Can anybody convince me of the use of suppressive attacks in regards to normal attacks as except for the Mortar, the strenght of the firepower is the same.
I understand that it neutralizes an annoying enemy, but is being temporaly disrupted more damagable than being killed??
Pinned or disrupted units are not even more vulnerable to further attacks?
Maybe tanks can take damage because they have 1 or 2 hits and can still fire with the same strenght but Infantry squads looses firepower the minute they get killed.

3- A full 4 units squad that uses a Fire/move action suffers 2 hits by a OPF. Does it now fires with 2 or 4 squads? I think 2...

Thanks anybody...
Super game bu the way...

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
owll wrote:
1- Does a unit that uses its LOS for a Mortar have to be in range itself of the target?

No.

Quote:
2- Can anybody convince me of the use of suppressive attacks in regards to normal attacks as except for the Mortar, the strenght of the firepower is the same.

Read the session reports.

Quote:
3- A full 4 units squad that uses a Fire/move action suffers 2 hits by a OPF. Does it now fires with 2 or 4 squads? I think 2...

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:

I suspect you'll be convinced by the first opponent who starts pinning your units at key times.

Quote:
Pinned or disrupted units are not even more vulnerable to further attacks?

Pinned or disrupted units have reduced strength against Assault.

Quote:
Infantry squads looses firepower the minute they get killed.

MG squad on Op Fire with 1 MG and 2 infantry loses little or no firepower when it takes one casualty (the casualty is coming from the infantry which probably isn't going to fire anyway, rather the machine gun is firing alone so that it can fire repeatedly). It loses all of its firepower when it is pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the major reasons to use suppresive fire versus normal fire is that if a squad gets pinned or disrupted due to suppresive fire, they may not continue their movement.

So, an example is to use a machinge gun squad in op-fire mode to pin enemy infantry squads when they are moving out in the open. Once pinned, bring on the "normal" attacks to actually do damage to a target that is now hopefully not under any cover

Also, remember that the infantry targets of a normal attack from an enemy unit in op fire mode do NOT stop their movement if they were attacked during their movement.

Pinned or disrupted units CAN be the targets of normal (or suppressive) attacks from other enemy units.

Sorry for my long response. I hope this clears up any confusion. Mike Z or someone else will correct me if I said something incorrectly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
So, an example is to use a machinge gun squad in op-fire mode to pin enemy infantry squads when they are moving out in the open. Once pinned, bring on the "normal" attacks to actuall do damage to a targe that is now hopefully not under any cover

Or just get two more "pin" results against it to destroy the whole squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is quite possible to rout groups completely using suppressive attacks. I hit a clump of three full squads in one game I played with a squad made up of two mortar teams and I ended up routing two squads and disrupting the last one (effectively putting it out of action for the next player's turn - the last in the game).

That's a hell of a lot more efficient than doing normal attacks at a single squad in a hex, if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeufelHund wrote:
I hit a clump of three full squads in one game I played with a squad made up of two mortar teams and I ended up routing two squads and disrupting the last one (effectively putting it out of action for the next player's turn - the last in the game).

Obviously, mortars will often be used for suppressive fire (or massed fire at armored units). The OP asked about suppressive fire by units that aren't mortars. If you were firing a non-mortar unit, then the same 4 hits that routed the target would have been enough to completely kill the target squad, so that by itself isn't a reason for using suppressive fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If you were firing a non-mortar unit, then the same 4 hits that routed the target would have been enough to completely kill the target squad, so that by itself isn't a reason for using suppressive fire.

You can't kill more than one squad that way though, ergo the attack I mentioned achieved more than your example above could have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure Peter? as a area normal attack with a mortar affects all the squads in the hex just like you did suppress all of them, so in effect, you could have killed them all.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your hints and answers all of you. I begin to appreciate the suppressive fire.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.