8 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: HELP! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dharma Punk

Oregon
msg tools
I have recently started playing MTG again after a 10 year or so hiatus, and am having a lot of fun playing again. how ever and as before, i still dont have a whole lot of money to put into a deck. I was wondering if anyone would have any recomendations for a cheap/effective green creature swarm deck? i have two roomates who play and have pretty expansive collections of cards at my disposal for building new decks, but they constantly cream me and id love a chance to hold my own against their various decks.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
...if you want to swarm him, here is a baseline idea for a green critter deck:

Llanowar Elves
Wild Mongrel
Arrogant Wurm
Roar of the Wurm
Call of the Herd / Troll Ascetic / Ohran Viper (any of these are more expensive, but worth it...Ascetic will probably be a bit cheaper once 10th comes out...Call probably fits the deck best)
Blastoderm
Squirrel Nest
Harmonize (green drawing effect)
Random pumps / combat effects such as Overrun, Giant Growth, &c.
A couple of Centaur Gardens are also nice for that deck, though not at all necessary.

Fastbond is decently cheap now, and fun...if you get some they would fit the deck.

Saproling Burst is also a decent, now cheap option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saprolings are the most current fast quck green weine swarm deck as the newest sets use them. Ravinica block is what I'm thinking of. Those are mostly commons too and easy to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dharmaxpunk wrote:
expansive collections of cards at my disposal for building new decks

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Rogue Elephant
4 Quiron Ranger
4 Ghazban Ogre
4 Pouncing Jaguar
4 Wild Dogs
4 Giant Growth
4 Invigorate
4 Rancor
4 Bounty of the Hunt
4 Vine Dryad
4 Land Grant
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
8 Forest

If Elvish Spirit Guides weren't so expensive, you could put the whole thing together for about $12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mackay
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
If you're not playing T2, then go find a "Fire's" deck. It's cheap, fast, and very powerful. I'm sure there are cards that you can put in to make it even better as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, what hasn't been suggested that are efficiently costed and common:

Nessian Courser
Thornweald Archer
Chatter of the Squirrel
Scatter the Seeds
Nantuko Vigilante
Essence Warden (might not be priced at common price)
Echoing Courage (good if playing saprolings)
Muscle Sliver (might not be priced at common)
Rootwalla
Nantuko Shaman
Spike Soldier
Ashcoat Bear
Simian Grunts
Basking Rootwalla
Marker Beetles
Pygmy Troll
Mire Boa

You should be looking to have something to cast every turn, if not two spells, so have enough 1 mana creatures, 2 mana, 3 mana, etc. You could probably stop at 4 or 5 as a swarm deck should kill the opponent pretty quickly. I like using lure, nemesis mask or taunting elf to make sure your guys get in for one last hit.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
If Elvish Spirit Guides weren't so expensive, you could put the whole thing together for about $12.

It's so funny to have been out of the Magic loop for so long, then to see mention of some old card that wasn't considered all too special in its day having become a card of note or value.

I must say, half the creatures on these lists are unknown to me... but I remember thinking that River Boa was an quinessential bang-for-buck green creature-swarm staple. Have so many better creatures come along that a 1G 2/1 Islandwalk regenerator doesn't even merit consideration anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mighty Greedo
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should go buy some forests. They are cheap. You can tap them for green mana. Very handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.