Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
I am finding it quite a chore to insert and remove figures from the squad bases. Because it takes so much pressure to insert infantry I am afraid of breaking the figures. I am using a tool to snag the bottom of infantry figures to apply even pressure and pop them in. For now, setting up a scenario is very time consuming, as is creating new squads for reinforcements. With some figures, the flash makes the insertion even worse to the point that I have had to use nail clippers to shave the pegs a bit. Otherwise, the figures would be impossible to insert.

From what I have read it is assumed that with usage the pegs will wear a bit and things will loosen up. I have only played two games so far. Have current ToI owners found that things are loosening up?

What about FFG playtesters? Did you guys play test with actual squad bases and figures? Did things loosen up after a while?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree and would like to add how raw my finger tips were after preparing the first scenario for a solo game. I actually passed on using a few reinforcement cards because I didn't want to hassle over inserting more figures with my ouchy fingers. Yes, I am quite delicate and have never worked a day of hard labor in my life.

As a sidenote, I am considering a 1/256 scaling and replacement of the figures using magnetic bases. The scale would make the graphics on the board more "realistic" and I think would lend itself to a nice mini wargame/boardgame hybrid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you notice that althought it is not as nice, reverse the bases for the non-specialized squads and they all fit in perfectly!?

Also, the more you use the figures, the easier it gets.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried powdered graphite as a lubricant? (Suggested in another thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone tried using cardboard chits and stacking them? Perhaps putting important information right on the chit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, then we might play any AH games...

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
Anyone tried using cardboard chits and stacking them? Perhaps putting important information right on the chit?

Jeff;

That would also work with just about any game, like War of the Ring, Memoir '44, Settlers of Catan, Railroad Tycoon, Twilight Imperium, etc. If you think about it just about any game at all can be reduced to a simple graphical display and counters.

The same thinking applies to other forms as well. What's the point of the Lord of Rings movies when the story was already encoded as a book. Is a white wedding really necessary when a quick trip to the county registrar would suffice.

Arguably, ToI is a paragon of the Amerigame theme. As such, a primary focus is total fun factor and not efficiency. With the same token, I wonder why consimers ooh and aah about those 'cool' and 'amazing looking' counter graphics of the latest must have wargame.

Even so, the sarcasm drew a smile and is noted as such and not more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
isaacc wrote:
What about FFG playtesters? Did you guys play test with actual squad bases and figures? Did things loosen up after a while?

Nope, they were still in production when playtesting ended.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

Y'know, that wasn't especially funny the first time someone said it. Now we're at the third or fourth, it's starting to get downright tiresome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And friendly sarcasm it was meant to be.

I'll desist now...

I'm reading the rules tonight to get a better handle on what this is all about.

Either way, I bet these figures could be used to play Deluxe ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.