Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: family [+] [View All]
Mike Lin
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to fill my order with a couple of "heavier" games and my wondering which of these 3 is best for me: Pillars of the Earth, Notre Dame, and Caylus Magna Carta. I mainly play with my wife and sometimes with family members. Which is easier to learn/explain? Which may be enjoyed with non-gamers? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Caylus Magna Carta, but it looks to be essentially the same as Caylus without the favor tracks and with the rest streamlined - so still a bit involved.

Both Pillars of the Earth and Notre Dame have a lot of special functions that need to be explained, however I feel Notre Dame plays easier. Pillars has several distinct phases that play follows in sequence from turn to turn where Notre Dame has a much more steady flow throughout its course. For that reason (and because I think it's just an overall better game) I would suggest Notre Dame.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Notre Dame to play with the family. Pillars is too quirky and nasty for a game with so much luck (even for me). CMC plays just like the original, and I think it would be a little heavy for family settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say begin with Notre Dame then try Pillars...

I think once the get the hang of ND, they'll like Pillars a lot.

-DK

have yet to try CMC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three, and would rate them for friendliness:

1. Notre Dame,

2. Pillars of the Earth

3. Caylus Magna Carta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Pillars, but it's my personal favorite for introducing new people to the genre of Euro games (even more than Catan or Carcassonne). The reason I feel it exudes such friendliness is due to the phased turn order (which ND and CMC may also offer).

By taking the lead and explain as I worked through the phases, most people I've taught have picked up the game by the second round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars of the Earth.

Easier to learn.

Easier for non-gamers to grasp.

More family friendly.

The one that meets your requirements.

And I've played them all.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.