Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a post up on the general forum, pondering this. Please feel free to visit and read and comment:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24539735

Or, comment here. I figure there would generate some crossover. It relates to my intersection of abstract strategy games and wargames guild/group/club on here and my studying this area. Based on a Geeklist I did on the abstraction of war, I figured I would also ask about this here. I posted in the general forum, to see if I could get both wargames and others to contribute.

Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your distinction. I think the common element is detail -- abstraction minimizes (or simplifies) details while simulation embraces them. As an example . . .

Abstraction: Breakthru (3M)

Simulation: Wooden Ships & Iron Men (TAHGC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though simulation is often associated with detail and complexity, I don't think detail or complexity is necessary for simulation.

Rather, a system/model is a good simulation if it produces results consistent with / similar to the thing being simulated. Which says nothing about whether there are many details or not.

E.g. Newton's basic equations of movement (F=ma, etc) are very simple, yet are an excellent simulation of movement in ordinary (non-relativistic) situations. A detailed simulation might try to track every individual molecule, or atom, or subatomic particle; a very abstract simple simulation might simply say that the objects are perfect spheres and use Newton's formulas, and work perfectly well as a simulation in many situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. SCHMITT
France
Alsace
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To take an odd but clear exemple ( that would of course have no interest as a game ) :
"throw 1d10 for WW2, Axis wins of a 10" is a good simulation even if very simple and abstract.

I concurr with Russ : you can have good simple simulations and very detailed games that fail to simulate anything because their model is just wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Even though simulation is often associated with detail and complexity, I don't think detail or complexity is necessary for simulation.

Rather, a system/model is a good simulation if it produces results consistent with / similar to the thing being simulated. Which says nothing about whether there are many details or not.

That leaves bad simulations. So they don't produce results consistent with that being simulated, but if it takes steps to attempt to do so, then it at least demonstrates intent by the designer to simulate, right?

Conversely, an abstraction could arguably be defined (at least from one perspective) as being an attempt to provide a competitive game that simulates nothing. (Or attempts to avoid simulating anything, if you prefer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
russ wrote:

That leaves bad simulations. So they don't produce results consistent with that being simulated, but if it takes steps to attempt to do so, then it at least demonstrates intent by the designer to simulate, right?

Conversely, an abstraction could arguably be defined (at least from one perspective) as being an attempt to provide a competitive game that simulates nothing. (Or attempts to avoid simulating anything, if you prefer.)

Instead of "an abstraction", I'd say rather "an abstract game" could be defined that way. ("An abstraction" seems more like an element/mechanism within a game - and simulations certainly include abstractions).

I agree - a simulation is intended to model something (whether or not it succeeds well and is a good simulation is a separate question), while a pure abstract game is intended to provide interesting gameplay but not to simulate anything.

---

(Though I suppose we could get very philosophical/theoretical and note that "intent" opens a different can of worms. E.g. in theory, someone could intend only to create an interesting competitive strategy game, and completely unwittingly and coincidentally the game happens to simulate something well! Or a random text generator could randomly produce the rules to a simulation wargame. There already exist good (abstract strategy) games randomly discovered/created by computer programs, e.g. Yavalath - presumably a simulation game could also (in principle at least) be randomly created by intentionless software as well. Etc. The lack of intent presumably would not disqualify those simulations from being simulations...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
presumably a simulation game could also (in principle at least) be randomly created by intentionless software as well.

Even this scenario includes intent, the intent is that of the programmer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Instead of "an abstraction", I'd say rather "an abstract game" could be defined that way. ("An abstraction" seems more like an element/mechanism within a game - and simulations certainly include abstractions).

I considered the OP's use of the word abstraction vice abstract to mean using a historical or hypothetical event and abstracting certain key elements in order to abstractly recreate it. To me, and abstract game need not be simulating an event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:
Though I suppose we could get very philosophical/theoretical and note that "intent" opens a different can of worms. E.g. in theory, someone could intend only to create an interesting competitive strategy game, and completely unwittingly and coincidentally the game happens to simulate something well!

Not just in theory, that's exactly what happened to me with Hanniball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.