United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So psyched to be done with grad school and taking my first solo pass through this terrible, beautiful game. Looking forward to unleashing it on the depraved lunatics I call my friends.

Got a few rules questions/clarifications so far, breaking them into separate posts in hopes that others will find that more useful.

On the Cavern of Shadows map, the rules state that victory goes to the player who has surrounded the most pit hexes. Should I interpret that to mean "surrounded" as in every hex adjacent to it must be occupied by one of my units? Or is it sufficient to have a single friendly unit adjacent, and no enemies? My stack of nine Coffin Cretins is hoping for the former; I'm thinking the latter is a little more reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it as the latter (be the only person adjacent to the pit with one or more tokens) - otherwise small creatures have a huge (hahaha) advantage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
I read it as the latter (be the only person adjacent to the pit with one or more tokens) - otherwise small creatures have a huge (hahaha) advantage

In terms of game balance I agree completely (and played it that way last night) -- but then, that raises the question of why the rules say "surround" instead of "adjacent." I don't tend to think of them as equivalent terms. Every time I try to surround something by myself, it doesn't go very well laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing it with totally surrounding the pit being necessary to controlling the pit, picturing it as a dark ritual that requires all the creatures in an evil circle. Easy targets, of course, unless they are guarded...

Breaking up the circle breaks up the ritual. We've had some big finishes this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mcmugwump wrote:
We've been playing it with totally surrounding the pit being necessary to controlling the pit, picturing it as a dark ritual that requires all the creatures in an evil circle. Easy targets, of course, unless they are guarded...

Breaking up the circle breaks up the ritual. We've had some big finishes this way.

Thematically cool, but also seems like it would encourage a lot of turtling. If a cult has a lot of large creatures they might only be able to reasonably surround one or two pits, which wouldn't leave more than a handful of units to actually fight. I want to see my units on the front line, smashing faces -- not standing around a hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Surrounding means any 1 or more creatures adjacent to pit. My apologies on Lingo. I hadn't realized that "surround" would project a concept of totally surrounding.

If you have a single creature next to a pit, and no other player has a creature than you OWN the pit at the end.

Lingo is soooo hard to nail sometimes.

We should have just said "Owning a pit means any one or more creatures adjacent"

We did have editors that had not played the game, but since all three of us were crafting the "goals", we understood it, but didn't realize how it may translate. Yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to know! Thanks, Nate. The (dark) beauty of the game is that it can work for a fun match either way! A (dark) testament to the power of Warcults!

I was wondering how a Necromancer could ever win against a Warcult on that map . . . and now I know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eternal Battle rules on page 70 say "Victor is Warcult standing next to the most pits.", for the Shadow map.

They also have the phrase "The following changes are as follows:" under section 44.

Obviously Grulch meddling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.