United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another creature with whom I'm utterly delighted! I do want to make sure I'm using them right, however. The card text states "Considered large for hex-size, small for all other purposes." Not 100% sure what hex-size refers to...does that mean they are large for purposes of movement and stacking, but nothing else? Can a Medium unit move through a Mauler Squad? Can a Mauler Squad form a single-file line and move through a narrow tunnel?

Also, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be the case, but if a Mauler Squad is killed, the player that killed them only gets the Kill Points for having killed a small creature? If so, that's pretty vicious. Teamwork for the win, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
Another creature with whom I'm utterly delighted! I do want to make sure I'm using them right, however. The card text states "Considered large for hex-size, small for all other purposes." Not 100% sure what hex-size refers to...does that mean they are large for purposes of movement and stacking, but nothing else? Can a Medium unit move through a Mauler Squad? Can a Mauler Squad form a single-file line and move through a narrow tunnel?

Also, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be the case, but if a Mauler Squad is killed, the player that killed them only gets the Kill Points for having killed a small creature? If so, that's pretty vicious. Teamwork for the win, I guess.

I think there are corridors on one of the maps that only small/medium creatures can fit down. So whilst the squad is "large" (e.g. cannot stack with others) it can fit down the tight corridors, as they are actually lots of small creates.

Ah, I see you did mention that use case. I wouldn't imagine a medium creature can move through them (that's a stacking issue - also a medium cannot move through 3 stacked small creatures). But... whilst I don't know if the card spells it out, I would imagine it CAN move through another medium / 2 small creatures, as each small creature can step through one at the time.

Ok, now I'm less certain. Nate ?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mini Blackwizard
United States
Cold Cliff Castle
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mauler Squad is a large for purposes of space occupied, so it can't fit in the narrow tunnels, or allow others to 'pass through' it's hex.
As Smalls otherwise, for instance- in the case of an item that "only smalls may use" the Mauler Squad could use the item etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question! What about for purposes of advanced drafting? Or the number of Mauler Squads allowed in a cult branch? As written I feel like I could make a case for paying one point per Mauler Squad and then putting nine of them in a cult branch, which seems too freakin' good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:

Ah, I see you did mention that use case. I wouldn't imagine a medium creature can move through them

Just to clarify, a medium creature can move through the narrow tunnels. The stacking limit for narrow tunnel hexes is one medium or two smalls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mini Blackwizard
United States
Cold Cliff Castle
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the instance of Drafting and Rally Cries the Mauler Squad would be considered a "Large" worth of Smalls, aka 3 smalls each Mauler Squad but rounded up as if a Large .
And while you may see more than 3 smalls on the card, sometimes it takes two .5small guys to create one real small (Hellionoids, Ratmen).

Yep Narrow tunnels may contain one Medium or 2 Smalls on each tunnel space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.