Hide
7 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Default/recommended number of expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Betz
msg tools
What is the recommended number of expansions to use in a game?

Eg. it suggests using one fewer Independant GOOs than players to start with.

Each player in our group now has 5-7 games under our belts.

Should we be playing with basically everything available (all the neutral monsters and all the independant GOOs, plus the neutral spellbooks.)

Or should we be randomly selecting a subset of the available expansions to stop things becoming too unbalanced/crazy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
While there is already an answer to this, I like to imagine a game where you have every neutral thing available. You and your group, after many long games of reading the text on the neutral cards, would eventually find killer combinations for each faction that are game breaking. Those who don't go for the combinations yet still invest in the neutral pool essentially stretch out their game to the point that they lose. So, you either grab the right combos or ignore the neutrals. In the end, it would not be very fun. This also considers the (optional) updated ruling that neutral GOOs do not contribute to elder signs during rituals.

That's why most people will recommend a draft of one neutral goo or set of neutral monsters per player (or -1 ). It adds variety while not adding too much to the cognitive load of the game. If one player does manage to draft a killer combo for their faction, it's not likely to repeat itself as the players will have learned to snatch it up from the pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with something like this:
-base game
-new faction(s)
-high priests
-new map
-IGOOs (one less than player count until all see play)
-neutral Spellbooks without IGOOS and then with

Then start playing games with specific combinations included or excluded intentionality.

I honestly find my preferred game to be high priests and choice of any faction on Earth (followed closely by any other current map). Unique high priests are growing on me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Betz
msg tools
There are 5 of us, so we started with the base game and the faction expansions, and everyone has been randomly selecting a faction that they haven't played yet each game. (So I've now played all the factions, and everyone else is 1 or 2 off depending on how many games they've missed)

The second game we added high priests.

The third game we added the entire Azathoth expansion, but someone misread the rules so we thought we were supposed to play with one less neutral monster than the number of players, and only one independent GOO.

We've playing like that for the remaining 4 games, cycling through the neutral monsters and independant GOOs at random using n-1 and 1 of each.

We were about to try a new map, when I saw the errata about "not getting elder signs for independent GOOs using ritual" after one of the players complained that he thought "the stars are right" was broken, and saw someone saying something about having more than one independent GOO, which caused me to re-read the rules and realise our mistake.

So, I think we're probably fine with the complexity of things, I was just hoping there was some official or semi-official "this is how to play the full game when you own all the extra stuff".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only official stuff is listed on the backs of the loyalty cards (# of Players - 1 for IGOOs or whatever). The thinking is that players already have to stretch to utilize each Monster/Spellbook core to their faction, and so you can only really spare the effort to leverage a single neutral Spellbook and/or Monster and/or God.

There are of course exceptions (e.g. if playing with Gobogeg, you should have every other IGOO available) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will see lots of different opinions about this issue, here are my two cents.

I have a group of 5 regular players plus up to 6 seldon players. When the less experienced are on board (less than 15 games under their belts) we use just faction expansions.
When only the more experienced are on, we use the indie monsters or spellbooks mostly. My group is not a big fan of indie goo. We avoid to mix too much, the becomes chaotic and less pleasant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
New factions are always useful, as are maps. High Priests are always good too, if your group likes them. They don't limit access to other GOOs or neutrals (in fact they make it easier).

My experience is that usually you don't have enough bandwidth to manage more than 1 indie GOO or neutral monster. Folks that summon up two neutral monsters (for example), typically find that either they aren't using one of them, or they aren't fully using both, so the Doom spent was basically wasted. Ditto for indie GOOs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.