8 Posts

Pyramid Arcade» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ice Towers with more players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
Let me start off by saying that I usually play with larger (5-10) groups of people when we get together to play games, so, naturally, we try to find games that a large group can play with.
Now, the rules for Ice Towers state that each player should have one trio of a single color, but it only says 2-6 players. So my question is: Why can't you play with 10 players since there are enough pyramids in the box to do so? Is there a balancing issue, or would it just become too chaotic? It seems like it would still work, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I think it would be chaotic. Strategy would mostly be lost with that Mich going on, but this is a common issue for 10 player games.

Ice Towers comes to a natural end when the board has reached a static state where no players want or are able to change anything. Maybe with 10 this state is harder to recognize, takes longer to achieve, or is corrupted.

As a rule, due to the difficulty of creating pleasant large group activities, groups of 8+ are best served splitting into two groups to play two different games.

Butbhey, why not try it with 10 and see what happens. Wed all be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone needs to be able to reach any piece on the table. Real hard to accomplish with so many.

Perhaps it could work with giant pyramids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
Everyone needs to be able to reach any piece on the table. Real hard to accomplish with so many.

You'd need a huge space and very athletic players to try to play Giant IceTowers with 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds too chaotic indeed, but hey, it would be fun to try just to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam zitin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
foksieloy wrote:

You'd need a huge space and very athletic players to try to play Giant IceTowers with 10.

Done it, doesn't really require that much athleticism except for the occasional sprint to mine before you get split into oblivion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Weberg
United States
Duncanville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ice Towers is short enough of a game that I would recommend making a mini, two-round tournament of it instead. The format described below would work with up to 12 total players (although with 11 or 12 players you will obviously need extra pyramids beyond those that came with the Arcade).

--- Round One ---
• Split into two groups and play separate games as normal.

--- Round Two ---
• The top two players from each group all play in the "Champions match". If the group sizes in round one were uneven (as in the case of 7, 9, or 11 total players), only the first place player from the smaller group participates in the champions match.

• All of the other players play a "Remainders match".

The "Grand Champion" can either be simply the winner of the champions match or, perhaps more fairly, the player with the highest total between the two games. With an odd number of players, there may need be some balancing of the latter case to account for the uneven sizes of the groups. In theory, the winner of a game with more players can score more points than in a smaller game. However, in practice, this may not actually make a much of a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Selle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smithsonian30 wrote:
Let me start off by saying that I usually play with larger (5-10) groups of people when we get together to play games, so, naturally, we try to find games that a large group can play with.
Now, the rules for Ice Towers state that each player should have one trio of a single color, but it only says 2-6 players. So my question is: Why can't you play with 10 players since there are enough pyramids in the box to do so? Is there a balancing issue, or would it just become too chaotic? It seems like it would still work, but I'm not sure.

Small but important correction - each player gets 3 trios not one. So with ten players that would be 90 pyramids on the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.