Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never actually played KDM but I knew I was going to back the Kickstarter and decided to grab some expansions. I got a tracking number email out of the blue the other day from a company I didn't recognize. I was hoping it was my KDM order from Black Friday and it was. So for all my fellow Canadians, expect it soon if you haven't got it already.

Anyway here are my initial thoughts after opening one of the four expansions (Gorm):

1. I knew the sprues would be intimidating but wow, there are a lot of small parts. Glad I ordered sprue cutters, even if I am still waiting for them.

2. The art in the rulebook is amazing and I now appreciate the Gorm miniature a lot more because of it.

3. Poots may not inspire confidence with his updates and spelling/grammar errors but the rulebook is actually a pretty good read and really set my imagination running. I love that nothing is overly described, everything seems to be a short evocative description which allows (forces) your imagination to run with it. This is my preferred style for an rpg-style game.

4. I think I understand a lot more about how the AI deck works and I am really intrigued. I could see how you could fight a monster numerous times and not get bored.

5. The expansions have a lot of "stuff". At the Kickstarter discount I think they seem like pretty good value, more so than I expected anyway.

Overall I have to say I am even more excited to get this game then before and will probably up my pledge even further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
I have never actually played KDM but I knew I was going to back the Kickstarter and decided to grab some expansions. I got a tracking number email out of the blue the other day from a company I didn't recognize. I was hoping it was my KDM order from Black Friday and it was. So for all my fellow Canadians, expect it soon if you haven't got it already.

Anyway here are my initial thoughts after opening one of the four expansions (Gorm):

1. I knew the sprues would be intimidating but wow, there are a lot of small parts. Glad I ordered sprue cutters, even if I am still waiting for them.

2. The art in the rulebook is amazing and I now appreciate the Gorm miniature a lot more because of it.

3. Poots may not inspire confidence with his updates and spelling/grammar errors but the rulebook is actually a pretty good read and really set my imagination running. I love that nothing is overly described, everything seems to be a short evocative description which allows (forces) your imagination to run with it. This is my preferred style for an rpg-style game.

4. I think I understand a lot more about how the AI deck works and I am really intrigued. I could see how you could fight a monster numerous times and not get bored.

5. The expansions have a lot of "stuff". At the Kickstarter discount I think they seem like pretty good value, more so than I expected anyway.

Overall I have to say I am even more excited to get this game then before and will probably up my pledge even further.

Good to know you liked what you got. The Gorm isnt as bad as people think. Originally i didnt like the sculpt but when i got it he eventually became one of my favorite sculpts. Gorm will grow on you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayki Don Kyanon
Germany
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say my thanks too.
The gameplay and the art is perfect for me. However, I still doubted the whole thing on the price side and the content.
I am feeling reassured now. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My stuff arrived yesterday as well (Toronto). Slenderman, Lonely Tree and Sunstalker. Looks like I'll have a project to assemble and possibly start painting over the holidays

I was in the same boat as many new players in that I was not very fond of the Gorm sculpt. However, the more I read about it, the more I may have to add him to my KS pledge....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I purposefully chose the Gorm to "spoil" first as I didn't like the miniature, so it was the one I was least excited about. I really only bought it because it is well regarded as a quarry and as an early one helps add a lot of variety. Until I assemble it I still won't know what I think of the miniature but the booklet definitely presents it in a way that makes it seem much cooler than I had first thought. If they can make the Gorm seem this cool I can't wait to see what they do with the expansions I am excited about.

After seeing these I am going to stick with my $927 pledge and add most of the remaining old expansions. That said, I strongly suggest any backers seriously consider if they are willing to assemble all these miniatures. There is a lot of small pieces on these sprues and this is just one medium expansion that I have opened. If you are determined to get the game you may want to stick with just the core game or maybe only a couple expansions. I am in a good spot as my kids are both going to start school in September and as a shift worker I will often be alone during the day in the house. This will afford me plenty of time to assemble the game and play it solo. Not everyone is in this sort of situation though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions, and game for that matter, really are worth the price. Even if that price is a little steep in some cases.

PLEASE, please... PLEASE be sure to look over the (NSFW) link below before assembling your Gorm. There is a step that if done out of order will cause you to have to pry your mini back apart. It's a piece that must be put in before gluing the two halves of the main body together.

http://vibrantlantern.com/expansions/gorm/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did exactly what you were not supposed to do and realized it after the glue was dry.

Had to carve some material out of that part to make it go in at an angle from the outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Inner Geek wrote:
The expansions, and game for that matter, really are worth the price. Even if that price is a little steep in some cases.

PLEASE, please... PLEASE be sure to look over the (NSFW) link below before assembling your Gorm. There is a step that if done out of order will cause you to have to pry your mini back apart. It's a piece that must be put in before gluing the two halves of the main body together.

http://vibrantlantern.com/expansions/gorm/

Lol, I was pretty sure to be the only one who made that mistake.
That's the only mistake I made when assembling all the core game + expansions.

Luckily, it's not visible when playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To update this post further I went ahead and opened all four expansions (Gorm, Sunstalker, Lion God and Slenderman).

Points that stood out to me:

1. To aspiring game designers: Rulebooks with black covers look cool... until you touch them. I washed my hands and I STILL left fingerprints/stains on it. Am I supposed to wear white gloves when I read these? The once cool covers no longer look cool and I only read them once...

2. The Gorm had a lot of "stuff" but apparently not all expansions do. The amount of cards doesn't vary too wildly from the four expansions but the amount of plastic does. Slenderman for instance is just the single mini. The Gorm on the other hand has all kinds of extra pieces to create survivors with so I assumed all boxes were like this. There is a huge difference in the amount of plastic in some expansions. Now I'm not suggesting that more plastic = more value. It's just something I noticed. I still think you get decent value if you get them at sale prices (compared to FFG expansions for instance) but for those that care about this sort of thing, you may want to research what comes in each expansion closely. Myself, I care more about gameplay but I know some people want these expansions for the miniatures as well.

3. The upside to some of the smaller expansions having much less plastic is that assembling these looks fairly easy.

4. Like the Gorm, the Sunstalker was made a fair bit cooler by the rulebook (I still the miniature is stupid). I found the writing in this one a bit weaker though but it did have some parts that were really, really cool. I loved the Lion God rulebook as well. As for the Slenderman, he is one of my favourite mini's. I pictured him stalking the land as some twisted character that could almost fit in a darker Alice in Wonderland story. The rulebook however definitely didn't match my expectations for him (not that it's bad, he just wasn't what I expected) and I feel like the miniature doesn't quite match the story (especially the environment it lives in). It's almost like they made this cool miniature and forced a story on it but they don't quite match. Maybe I need to see it in play but I was disappointed as I really, really like this miniature. The art I found was weaker in this rulebook as well. Probably I will get over it and learn to love it for what it actually is as there is nothing "wrong" with his story, it just doesn't seem to fit the look of the mini for me.

5. The Sunstalker box is almost the same size as the other three expansions put together! The rulebook is also significantly larger. Based on what I am seeing, if you can't get all the expansions it appears that buying ones like the Gorm and Sunstalker makes more sense than ones like the Lion God or Slenderman. Again more stuff doesn't mean more value but there is clearly more to explore, more miniatures, more cards to use and in the case of the Sunstalker, a variant campaign as well. Expansions like the Lion God and Slenderman look like a variant fight with a bit of gear, a few cards to throw here and there and not much else. Not saying they aren't worth buying but buying a few larger ones may actually provide more content than a bunch of smaller ones. My impressions could be way off but that's how it seems at least.

Overall I'm probably a bit less excited by these boxes than I was after opening the Gorm but not by a whole lot. Overall I am still very, very happy with what I saw and remain committed to making a sizable pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning content quantity: expect the alternate campaign expansions to have the most content, usually, followed by quarry monsters, followed by nemesis monsters (like the Slender Man). The expansion with the least content total is the Lonely Tree, though that has more content than originally intended since it was first proposed as a physical representation of a terrain piece with only a few extra cards to modify existing monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.