Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got a used copy and the gameboard was dirty and kinda sticky in certain spots. How would any of you suggest I try to clean the board to make it smoother without damaging the board any further? It's also a little warped. Any ideas on how to make it lay flatter? Thanks.

-Legend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very carefully with a cloth damped in warm soapy water

just dab the sticky bits, then dry very quickly after with another cloth

and repeat as neccessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried straightening one warped board, and only made it worse. So be very careful. Furniture polish is very good for getting rid of sticky marks, but if you rub too much you'll only end up wiping most of the surface away and end up with a faded or buff area.

The board is probably warped after years of being stored on it's edge. Storing it flat may solve the problem in a good 10-12 years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokey Brown
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maschinen Plunger
mbmbmb
Bestine should work perfectly. I removed tape from a Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage box with it once and it didn't hurt the game at all. Bestine is a very light solvent marketed as rubber cement remover and should be available at any Michael's Arts and Crafts. Try it out in the corner of the board in a little area to make sure it doesn't lift the ink off before following the instructions below.

The best way to apply Bestine is to get a hair dye bottle (with the fine nozzle tip) from a beauty supply store and poor some Bestine into it. Then squirt the Bestine somewhat liberally over the affected areas and wipe clean with a paper towel. It evaporates rather quickly and shouldn't affect the paper/ink at all. The stuff is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. I'm sad to report that I tried the bestine and it actually didn't work out too well. It did seem to remove a little of the gunk that was on the board but it also warped the color a little on the board. It made a kinda purple color on the board and there was green color on the paper towel. It also made the areas where the gunk was more visable. Before the dirty spots could only be felt really but now they are very visable. I should have tried the mild soap and water first. Thanks anyways. Anyone have a dungeonquest board for sale or trade?

-Legend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this auction, seems to be a store and has been up for ages.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

It has an imcomplete set but does include board. Hope that helps. The shipping cost is outrageous though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Check this auction, seems to be a store and has been up for ages.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam......

It has an imcomplete set but does include board. Hope that helps. The shipping cost is outrageous though.

Thanks. I was actually looking at that. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller to send me a picture of the board. He says it is scuffed. I want to make sure it lays flat and isn't scuffed too badly. My board is functional for all purposes of playing it just looks like crap. So, I only want to pay for another board as long as it lays flat and looks nice otherwise I can just keep using my slightly damaged board I already have. I definitely don't feel like getting a whole new set just for the board. I already had to get two sets that are just barely complete together.

-Legend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Scott
United Kingdom
Bishop Middleham
County Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Hey there, I have a board which is incomplete in my spares box, but if it has the section you need, I'm happy to send it for the cost of the postage.

All the best

paulvonscott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokey Brown
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maschinen Plunger
mbmbmb
Brewtal_Legend wrote:
It made a kinda purple color on the board and there was green color on the paper towel. It also made the areas where the gunk was more visable. Before the dirty spots could only be felt really but now they are very visable.

I wouldn't be surprised if all you ended up doing was spreading some of the sticky stuff around without actually having lifted it off the board. What you're describing sounds a lot like tape residue that's been smeared around. Take my advice as you will, but it sounds like all you did was loosen up the gunk enough to spread it around a little. I have used Bestine extensively and it has never ruined anything (provided I tested first to make sure it wouldn't lift off the actual ink beneath).

For recalcitrant gunk, I use an artist's spatula to scrape a bit. You have to get a feel for the amount of pressure you can exert without harming the game board's surface, but you should have a fair amount of leeway. As you scrape at the Bestined gunk, it will sort of collect on your scraping tool's surface like gel. It can then be wiped off with a paper towel.

I'm shocked that the Bestine caused warpage. It evaporates so quickly that I couldn't imagine it having enough time to cause any harm. I'm pretty sure the boards are already naturally inclined to warp anyway, so I suppose it's possible the Bestine exacerbated the existing problem.

I apologize if my advice caused further harm. If you like, contact me via the BGG message system. I offer to have you send me the boards in the mail so that I can personally see to their repair, and I'll send them back to you with reimbursement for your original shipping costs (provided they're reasonable). If I can't do anything with the boards, I'll ship them back to you in no worse condition than I received them and still reimburse your shipping costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.