Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about making a variant for all of those who have a lot of the Nemesis expansions, and want to use them more often. Also this brings a bit more realism with it.
Warning, minor spoilers!

In my opinion most of the Nemesis monsters should be unique individuals. It doesn't make a lot of sense, that you kill the butcher, and he returns a few years later.
So I created a variant that makes every Nemesis unique.

For example when you are defeated by the butcher, he will return. Next time he will be lvl. 2.
But if you kill the butcher, the next time he would show up replace him with another Nemesis of the same node, if you have one. The difficulty level still increases to level 2.
So everytime a Nemesis is killed for good, it is replaced by another Nemesis of the same overall difficulty.

The goal of this variant is, to make the Nemesis bosses a one of a kind. You don't have to fight them anymore, when you killed them. But someone else will show up instead.
Also you can finally bring all those nice models to the table, without having to replace another one, or having too many at the same time in one campaign.

Of course this doesn't apply for Nemesis monsters which there are multiples of, like the kings men.
Also if you don't have a replacement Nemesis for a node, you still have to fight the same Nemesis again.

Another note: The new Black knight quarry has a similar mechanic. Thus could also be applied to the flower knight.

Im interested in your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Galli
msg tools
It's a nice idea imho. I never played the game, and i pledged an Ancient Gold Lantern. I'll receive a lot of nemesis so would be bad leaving them on the shelf. I'm just wondering if this variant is actually playable since i don't know how nemesis are supposed to jump into a campaign.
Is there a specific goal to fight the same nemesis multiple times? (eg like fighting a quarry to get its resources during showdowns)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We determine that the Nemesis limps off and escapes when we beat them and then comes back more prepared next time. (Higher level)

If we however kill them on the Deathblow hit location, we remove them from the campaign and timeline.

Last campaign we managed to 'kill' the butcher but saw the manhunter return three times after beating him back over the decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea.

The only immediate drawback I can think of is that you lose your chance to get paired Butcher Cleavers since you need to defeat him at least twice to get a set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I assume that there are more than 1 kingsman and more than 1 butcher. The hand is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
I assume that there are more than 1 kingsman and more than 1 butcher. The hand is different.

There are two hands, duh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are some implications in game text that the Butcher is immortal in some way, and that it is the same one who keeps coming back even if you defeat him. Some of his abilities and the description of what happens when he is defeated offer some hints, also.

Even so, I like this idea. It's got a lot of flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Black Knight in today's update is supposedly special because there's just one of him. To me, this implies that for the others, either there's several of them or they return somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
4rch1t3ct wrote:
There are some implications in game text that the Butcher is immortal in some way, and that it is the same one who keeps coming back even if you defeat him. Some of his abilities and the description of what happens when he is defeated offer some hints, also.

Even so, I like this idea. It's got a lot of flavor.

I bet the butcher was born on a Monday.

But yeah, it's implied that most of the nemesis encounters (100% on The King's Hand) are more trials than anything, and that these beings are too powerful for you to truly kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.