Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Additional Optional rules
. . 1] In honor of sci-fi from years gone by, in this case the famous Kazinty and their Strike Cruisers; the CS of both sides can carry 1 Ftr using the same rules as the MS. [Kazinty CS were armed with missiles like these CS to engage the enemy ship at the same time its Ftrs were closing-in to attack.]
. . This rule makes the CS a “better buy” than before and explains its additional cost (compared to the CL and what more you get for the $4 more it costs). This rule gets more Ftr into the game.

. . 2] Not really a change and not optional, rather a clarification.
I've decided that the Imp. CS will not be a 2 Hit ship, but the Terran CS will be. This makes the Imp. CS his 4th small ship. It also can't screen a TR or MS from enemy fire. All because its Shield =4, not 5. Both CS [optionally] can carry a Ftr. This makes them more useful and a better buy. The Terran CS now is clearly better than the Imp. CS, even though it has no Beams. It takes 2 Hits instead.

. . 3] This rule got left out of the final edit.
One Hit from a capital ship will destroy a 2 Hit CR, CA, or Terran CS. Capital ships' weapons are more powerful than other ships' weapons so they get this additional benefit.

Analysis of what I have done with small ships, 2 Hit cruisers, and 2 hit capital ships.
. . . 1] Small ships. Both sides get 4 designs {Edit, oops, 5 counting Ftr (+ MS & TR)}. The Imp. CS fulfills the same function as the Terran MB. It costs 2.5 times as much but has double the “raw” points (13 vs 7). The CS has shield =4 and can carry a Ftr. And the CS still has a beam weapon after using double missile.
. . The other small ships are unchanged, except 1s are weaker and the Terran DD gets a bonus vs a Shield =1.

. . . 2] Two Hit cruisers. Both sides get 2 designs, and none of the 4 designs are comparable to each other.
. . Both players can only build their smaller one from the start. These 2 smaller designs both have a Shield of 5 which exposes them to attacks by small ships, except by 1 pt. missiles. The Imp. CR is evenly balanced and the Terran CS has all missiles, can carry a Ftr, and is cheaper.
. . The 2 larger designs are about the same “raw” size (17 vs 18), but the CR is cheaper. Both are pretty balanced. The CR has the major advantage that its Shield =6 makes it almost a capital ship in terms of defense and only the Imp. B1 & B2 have a 3, 6, or 9 str. weapon. The CA is exposed to attacks by small ships at close range because its Shield is just 5.

. . . 3] Capital ships. These are pretty much the same as before except that they get 2 Hits and the other advantages. I don't think this changes their relative usefulness all that much [compared to each other].
. . The B & B1 take just 1 turn to build which [though in different ways] explains their high M# of 6. The B is slapped together very fast in the emergency. The B1 are "war surplus ships" that the Emperor sometimes forces the Provincial Governors to buy. They are being refurbished [not built] in the turn you wait.
. . The B is a Dreadnought-Battlecruiser. The B1 & B2 are both 2nd class Dreadnought-Battleships.
. . The BB are advanced Battleships.
. . The Monitors do become more of a hassle to deal with (as they should) because they take 2 Hits also. This is why I want to limit you to just 2 of them per system. I don't want to make the defense too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Surely you know that I've posted the rules to my variant in files here.

It would be hard to have missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.