Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To fellow grognards:

I'm trying to figure out the best option for protecting my counters. Is the Krylon Matte finish (1311) the better option or Krylon Crystal Clear (1303)? I guess I'm concerned that the matte finish will dim the color, but at the same time I don't want to wear sunglasses pushing shiny Panzers around.

Thanks in advance
-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't spray mine, but a friend does.

The matte works fine, but does dim the 'brightness' of the counter colors a bit. It also makes the counters feel a bit 'rough', which can actually help when handling them. Both effects are a matter of taste. I like the matte finish but am basically too lazy to bother. To me, clipping counters is far more important to their usability and attractiveness.

Sadly, I've never worn out non-protected counters by excessive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Andrew but I'll add a few things. I have sprayed a couple games and it'd be hard to tell the difference between sprayed and unsprayed unless you know what you're looking for. There is a bit of texture that doesn't really detract from the overall appearance. The only games where my counters are worn to the point that I'd wished they were protected are a couple of the older games I have that have traded hands a few times.

Overall, I'd say that you don't really need to coat your counters unless you plan on playing a particular game A LOT. And then only if the game is an older one. The quality of most newer hex and counter games is such that I doubt this will be an issue unless you plan on playing a game a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use clear. The acrylic makes them water resistant, and if you're dealing with old counters, prone to shedding layers of cardboard--like old AH games--the Krylon sticks the layers together better. (Make sure the counters are spaced and you spray from all directions so the sides get hit.) I have a 30+ year old copy of Blitzkrieg with still-pristine counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I've never used either product on counters, but I've used them both on miniatures before.

I prefer the matte finish considerably, but if you're concerned about durability you could try a coat of the gloss with a coat of matte over the top of it. The gloss gives you a more durable coat, and the matte gets rid of the shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I use clear. The acrylic makes them water resistant, and if you're dealing with old counters, prone to shedding layers of cardboard--like old AH games--the Krylon sticks the layers together better. (Make sure the counters are spaced and you spray from all directions so the sides get hit.) I have a 30+ year old copy of Blitzkrieg with still-pristine counters.

Sounds like a good method. If you're punching the counters first, how do you prevent them from flying around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.