Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some people's strategies for dealing Sauron a devastating blow?

Please preface with whether or not you are using F&F. My problem is probably that I am still new to it all, but it is dang hard!

I have yet to win F&F with Sauron starting on 12 (though I was SO close once, see the Session Report with a Twist post in F&F). I have yet to even play the original by itself with Sauron on 12. I have won the original and F&F with Sauron on 15. I know I should probably play F&F (without Sauron) and win with Sauron on 12, and on 10, but it would be good to get some strategies posted here.

How did you beat Sauron? How many players? Did you use F&F? (Obviously, if you did, board-skipping is a must.) We would like to know your tricks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Strategies to beat Sauron
I dealt Sauron a devastating blow, and my was it awesome! This was the full game (F&F, Sauron), with 3 hobbits going up against the Dark Lord. Two of the hobbits were new to the game, but caught on quickly. Sauron was experienced as the Dark Lord.

The minor paths played an important role in this game, moreso than usual. I found that completing the minor paths was almost necessary in order to progress. The cards and resource tokens on the paths add quite a bit to the game. There was some luck, but by far the best thing we did was work on the sidepaths more than I have ever done.

If you can get to Rivendell in good shape, and also to Lothlorien, then you are doing quite well. By the time you have reached Rivendell, you have some cards to fight back against Sauron. Also, don't "horde" your special abilities--don't be afraid to use a couple in the early stages of the game.

I think the best key to success, however, was the rush in Mordor. Sauron was given no chance to succeed (much to her frustration) due to the triple-wild-Gandalf (followed by playing Gwaihir of course), then passing the triple-wild Gandalf to the next player with the passing card (forget its name). Add to that putting on the ring and calling Gandalf for white-die-up, and you have a victory for the Fellowship!

There's a few of the strategies I found useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.