Subject: Are you "mailing it in" this week at work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What is your personal level of commitment to your work on this, the week before Christmas?
All in- I'm too busy to goof off
Business as usual- same level of dedication as the rest of the year
Slacking a bit- circumstances allow me to take it a bit easier right now
About half- unless someone complains, I'm not motivated to work full out
Same as it ever was- which is to say, "I'm not at my capacity for hard work, but what else is new?"
Oh yeah, definitely mailing it in. 2016 is basically over for me right now.
      97 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
After responding to this ChitChat poll I should probably take it easy for the rest of the day week year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
You make it sound like it's just this week that I mail it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, those two W words are really throwing me off. I'm not sure if I know what they mean anymore....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
I work until Friday night, 11:40pm. I "work" starting probably Friday after lunch, so 8:00pm.

I suspect others will skip Friday entirely, so I may get to run an extruder instead of my CNC, which is a party in itself: can you remember to push 1 (and that's sometimes automated, depending on the machine), then 2, then 3, and then 4? It's really sad that some people can't. Whee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb
I mailed it in in September. In fact, I may never give a crap again. 2016 has been amazing (not in a good way) and I have a growing suspicion that next year we're going to find out why six was afraid of seven.

I just found out a secret that they are about to take away 3 more of our benefits. They've slowly been taking them away one by one, but three at once is going to be a new record.

I used to love my job, now I dread going in every day. This one goes out to all mi jefes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

I reminded him that my favorite times to work are when nobody else is here. I am AMAZINGLY productive when I'm not interrupted five dozen times every day.

Mine too! I crank up the tunes and somehow manage to get as much done in a day as I would in a week where I constantly get interrupted. I'm looking forward to being the only one here on Thursday and Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
My vacation time during the year is Christmas to New Year's.
I get weekends and stat holidays off, but all of my suppliers shut down for 8-12 days between the 22nd to Jan. 4th, depending on when Christmas eve hits.
So do 90% of my customers. So the 10% have learned to adapt to the reality and they don't bother trying to come in to pick stuff up either.

It's really dead here at the moment. I've had two phone calls in 4 hours-- one wanted something new to arrive before Xmas (not gonna happen) and the other was my confirming holiday hours said to call when the order they would fax would be in, in January.

I've spent the past 4 work days assembling new desks/ furnishings and I'll spend two more knocking down the old furnishings and tossing scraps, cardboard boxes, and shipping materials in the dumpster.

I am so ready for my break on the 23rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Business is bad.

Sorry to hear that.
Quote:
I'm planning to work 18 hour days.

Thank you. Someone has to pick up our slack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "this week".

My wife's stuck working 12 hour shifts every day. Sucks to be her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are a very small company, 7 full time people and 1 part time employee. Six months ago I was tasked with a time intensive, detail oriented project that could have some impact on our business costs in 2017. Every time I'd start on it my boss, the owner of the company, would pull me off it to deal with the pet project or fire drill of the moment. Now this time intensive, detail oriented project IS the fire drill of the moment. Definitely not mailing it in until this is put to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
December has been my 2nd busiest month of 2016 (August was the busiest). I'm bouncing around among 3 clients. I'm taking only 2 days off during the holidays: December 26 and January 2. Other than that, it will be work, work, work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can honestly say there is no difference in my work production this week than any other.

...not commenting on exactly what that means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My team specifically planned all of our projects and meetings, and triaged our standard duties, so that the last two weeks of the year would be a nice, soft landing.

Of course, our large corporation is comprised of people who are poor planners, and end-of-the-year fire drill bullshit projects just keep getting dumped on our team.

We basically had to cancel our team Christmas dinner because other people who make more money than us are bad with time management.

This is the first time in 15 years of grown-up employment my Christmas has been miserable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular office jobs make you work these 2 weeks and no one wants to work and most people don't have pressing stuff to do.

It is soooooo boring!!

Luckily, I do have about 1.5 weeks off this time of year in my present job.

I have exactly two (2) things to do today at work--2 things--then I will watch the clock...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just starting to get comfortable with my (shrinking) pile of tasks, now my body has decided it's time for rest.

Staying at home, drinking tea, hopefully getting well in time for a crazy 25+ person family party at our house next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today is the last full work day of this week. Tomorrow around 2:30 we are closing the office and adjourning to Diamonds Billiard Hall for the company Christmas party. We haven't been there for a couple years. In fact, the boss quit taking us there after Handsome Doug ordered $25 worth of appetizers to go on the company tab and left without saying good bye to any of the rest of us.

will be closed on Friday and next Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
When you stand in front of a classroom filled with engineers and maintenance techs that have paid a four figure dollar amount to hear what you have to say and learn how to utilize all of the pricey equipment that your company hopes will show up in these students cap-ex figures next year, you tend to be a bit busy (and attentive). No Sleep Till Brooklyn, er, uh, I mean Till Saturday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a stay at home mom, so technically I am always working.

However, my kids are now teenagers, and practically raise themselves. My biggest job right now is wrapping presents, chauffeur duties, & maintaining our internet access. Tonight I even warmed up soup.

January 7th is the robotics kick-off, and for the six weeks after that I'm on full-level support until build season is over & my exhausted child comes out of his electronics fog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Regular office jobs make you work these 2 weeks and no one wants to work and most people don't have pressing stuff to do.

It is soooooo boring!!

Luckily, I do have about 1.5 weeks off this time of year in my present job.

I have exactly two (2) things to do today at work--2 things--then I will watch the clock...

Well, my job is never simple. I had 2 unexpected calls that I had to work on and help resolve issues. The original 2 things I had to do were done, with unforeseen consequences.

I also handled work calls after I was off the clock. Sigh....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 4 weeks per year for vacation. I save one week for the week before Christmas. My company generally shuts down between Christmas and New Years. I also had an extra day to take off on the 16th. So I'm just chillin' at home with the kids, while my wife is at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an email from one of the companies we do contract work for. Their accounting dept. wants to reconcile billing by year end. They think they owe us money. That's good but we are closing in about an hour and the service tech who handles their work is off until next Tuesday. (I'm taking off next Thursday. My eldest son is hosting a game day that day. He acquired a ton of 3D scenery from a game store that closed. I'm going to play miniatures!.) Another research project for me but we do not have enough licenses for me to get into accounting software if Doug AND Molly are in it. They are billing the usual month end stuff.

Also the sales guys signed a 28 machine deal to install before year end. Yay! The products were supposed to be here today but they didn't ship on time. They are coming tomorrow when we are closed. Since I live the closest, they asked if they could give my cell number to the truck driver so I could run over here and open the warehouse and accept delivery of 28 copiers and printers on a day we are closed for holidays. Haven't decided but it ought to cost them something if I do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late, but pertinent to this topic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.