Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: errata [+] asljr [+] [View All]
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
This is a listing of the errors that have been noted for ASLSK #3. I want to stress that this list is completely unofficial, and is simply a compilation of the items that have been mentioned in posts in the ASLSK folder over on ConsimWorld.

I am limiting this list to items that are actually incorrect as printed in the rulebook. As was the case with the earlier ASLSK rulebooks, there are some things that were inadvertently omitted from the rulebook... but MMP's position on such cases is that you play the rules as they are until such time as MMP decides to address those omissions with official errata.

Rulebook Errata

The acronym SCW is not in the Definitions, but it is defined in rule 4.4.

Page 7, rule 3.1 Rally Phase (RPh): Section "e)" tells you when to do self rallies, but it does not explain how to resolve them. It is not clear that most of the rules in section "f)" also apply to section "e)".

Page 9, rule 3.2.3 Effects: (possible errata) Under "NMC:" no mention is made that Pin and CX counters are removed when a unit breaks.

Page 10, To Hit Procedure: (possible errata) The ASLSK rules state that a Gun that changes its CA has its ROF reduced for the remainder of the Fire Phase; in full ASL the ROF is reduced only for that shot.

Page 12, rule 3.3.1 Infantry Movement: (possible errata) The ASLSK rules allow a unit to spend multiple MF to make multiple weapon recovery attempts on a single weapon; this is not allowed in ASL.

Page 12, rule 3.3.1 Infantry Movement: (possible errata) The ASLSK rules don't specify when Assault Movement must be declared; in ASL it must be declared prior to moving.

Page 13, 2nd column, 1st line: Remove the word "Overrun".

Page 19, 1st col, 3rd para: "if it is a K then that SW is malfunctioned" should probably be changed to "if it is a K then that Weapon is malfunctioned"

"Emplacement and Manhandling Example" on page 22: The Gun should be stacked on top of the crew, instead of on top of the leader, because the crew possesses the Gun; Leadership Modifiers do not apply to manhandling attempts; and the grain should be specified as being out of season.

Top illustration on page 24 should show a KV-1 M41 instead of a KV-1E.

"To Hit / To Kill Example" on page 25 should use a KV-1 M41 with a TK# of 13, instead of a KV-1E.

7.10 AFV Effects, 1st para: Change "(as located in the chart on the QRDC)" to "(as located on the Nationality Chart)".

The illustration on page 26 should show the Pz VIB with a slow traverse white square instead of a fast traverse white circle (the game counters are correct).

Page 28, col 3, para 1: change "+1 if all AF are greater than or equal to 4." to "+1 if all AF are greater than or equal to 8."

"PAATC and Close Combat Example" on page 28 incorrectly shows the Pz IIF using its 20mm MA 4 FP IFE in CC. MA IFE can only be used in CC if it is less than 15mm.

From designer Ken Dunn: "A vehicle should not be able to gain an acquisition when firing 'in motion'. I would like to make that an errata if it was not in the rules. I don't have them in front of me to check." (The examples imply this, but it is not stated in the rules proper.)

Vehicle and Ordnance Historical Notes Errata

Page 10: A line was omitted in the description of the M4/76(a). Replace "began in May 1944, and were entirely equipped" with "began in May 1944, and ultimately 2,095 were sent. Some tank and mechanized corps were entirely equipped".

Page 11: The heading in the box should read "ASL STARTER KIT #3 CREDITS"

Other Resources

Additional errata items for ASLSK #3 can be found in this file:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/28772

EDIT: added more errata items

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was given a copy free, which was very nice of the vendor.

Is it the case there is still no Heat of Battle table, after three gamettes? If so, why is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
Is it the case there is still no Heat of Battle table, after three gamettes?

Yes.

Quote:
If so, why is this?

Well, I'm not Ken Dunn, but I'd have to think it's because HoB is pure chrome (though fun chrome) that doesn't significantly change the core mechanics of the game. If you're trying to design a trimmed-down ruleset that focuses on the core ideas of ASL, chrome like HoB is the first thing to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the errata! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking at the To Hit Dice Roll Modifiers table, should the line "motion or > 3 MP in Firer's LOS" actually read "moving or > 3 MP in Firer's LOS"?

If I'm firing in the DFPh at a vehicle which moved this turn but stopped in the MPh then it is still considered moving and the number of hexes moved in LOS should no longer be relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Ben Smith wrote:
Looking at the To Hit Dice Roll Modifiers table, should the line "motion or > 3 MP in Firer's LOS" actually read "moving or > 3 MP in Firer's LOS"?

No. The +2 DRM definitely applies when firing at any vehicle that has Motion Status. Remember that if a vehicle moves during the MPh and does NOT expend a MP to stop, it gains Motion Status at the end of its MPh and retains it until the start of its next MPh (when it must either stop or continue moving), so a vehicle with Motion Status can be fired upon in the PFPh, AFPh, or DFPh, and the +2 DRM applies in all of those cases.

But the "motion or..." designation should probably be changed to "Moving/Motion or..." as it is in the full ASL rules.

Ben Smith wrote:
If I'm firing in the DFPh at a vehicle which moved this turn but stopped in the MPh then it is still considered moving and the number of hexes moved in LOS should no longer be relevant.

Yes, such a vehicle would be a moving target (because it entered a new hex before stopping), but it would not have Motion Status (because it did stop). It remains a moving target until the end of the player turn, so the +2 DRM would apply for any shots made against it in the DFPh.

It's the number of MP expended in the Firer's LOS that count – and not the number of hexes moved – but these +3 and +4 DRMs can only apply to Defensive First Fire/Intensive Fire shots taken during the target's MPh. Once the MPh ends the number of MP expended by moving targets is ignored, and only the +2 DRM can be applied to shots at Moving/Motion Vehicles.

For example, say that a enemy tank moves into your LOS (1 MP) and then stops (1 MP). If you take a Defensive First Fire shot at this point, the +3 DRM for =< 3MP in LOS would apply. But if you wait until the MPh ends, and fire at it in your DFPh, the +2 DRM would apply instead (for Moving Vehicle). If you fire again in your PFPh on the following turn, neither the +2 or the +3 would apply, because now the enemy tank is neither moving (it's a new player turn) nor in Motion (it stopped).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Scenario S24 of ASL Starter Kit #3 uses 6 Russian *75 Sherman III(a) tanks numbered A-F.
A+B have an AAMG, C-F have no AAMG.
Are these counter errors?
If yes, what would be correct?

- The To-Hit-Chart of ASL Starter Kit #3 doesn't include range 0 for ITT, ATT + VTT.
Is this correct?
If yes, how can I fire at a tank in the same hex, for instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Ernst Knauth wrote:
Scenario S24 of ASL Starter Kit #3 uses 6 Russian *75 Sherman III(a) tanks numbered A-F.
A+B have an AAMG, C-F have no AAMG.
Are these counter errors?

No, the counters are correct.

The AAMG are "optional" weapons, in that some vehicles have them while others don't. You must use the exact counters that are shown on the scenario card (the non-AAMG Sherman III's), but, if there are not enough of them, then you can also use the ones with the AAMG.

For example:

* If the scenario specified four or less non-AAMG Sherman III's, the counters depicting the Sherman III with an AAMG could not be used.

* If the scenario specified five or six non-AAMG Sherman III's, then you would have to use all four non-AAMG vehicles, along with either one or two of the AAMG vehicles.

In the case of scenario 24, you will use all six Sherman III's: four without AAMG, and two with AAMG.

Ernst Knauth wrote:
The To-Hit-Chart of ASL Starter Kit #3 doesn't include range 0 for ITT, ATT + VTT.
Is this correct?

Hmmm... good question!

Same hex firing is legal; there's even a DRM for it: #10 on the To Hit DRM List.

When firing at a tank at range 0, the range 1-6 column on the VTT should work correctly; but I think you would have to use the range 3-6 column on the ITT when firing at a non-tank unit at range 0 (because the columns for range 1 & 2 include a "point blank" adjustment that does not apply to same hex shots). But I can't find this mentioned in the ASLSK #3 rules at all, so I've posted a question over on CSW to see if I can get any sort of "official" ruling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay Richardson wrote:

Ernst Knauth wrote:
The To-Hit-Chart of ASL Starter Kit #3 doesn't include range 0 for ITT, ATT + VTT.
Is this correct?

[ ... ]
When firing at a tank at range 0, the range 1-6 column on the VTT should work correctly; but I think you would have to use the range 3-6 column on the ITT when firing at a non-tank unit at range 0 (because the columns for range 1 & 2 include a "point blank" adjustment that does not apply to same hex shots).
[ ... ]

For ITT:
Wouldn't it be more consistent to create a range 0 column - with values one higher each to include "triple point blank" adjustment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I do think that the ITT needs a range 0, but not because of Triple Point Blank Fire (TPBF).

TPBF does not apply to ordnance using the To Hit process. If a squad fires at a same hex target its FP will be tripled, because small arms are always more effective at shorter ranges, but the big guns are at a serious disadvantage when firing at a same hex target... they can't easily aim at a target so close. The Ordnance Point Blank adjustments in ASL apply only to range 1 and range 2, and never to range 0.

So on the ITT the TH and CH numbers need to be LOWER at range 0 than at range 1. For example, a German 75L has "10(5)" at range 1, but at range 0 it should have "8(3)" – according to the To Hit Table in the full ASL rules – which is the same value as the range 3-6 column in ASLSK. The +2 DRM for same hex firing (#10) would then be added to the 8(3) TH DR.

Here's how the German 75L ITT TH# is figured in both ASL & ASLSK:

ASL...
Range 2: 8(3), –1 Point Blank DRM (Case L)
Range 1: 8(3), –2 Point Blank DRM (Case L)
Range 0: 8(3), +2 Fire Within Hex DRM (Case E)

ASLSK...
Range 2: 9(4)
Range 1: 10(5)
Range 0: 8(3), +2 Fire Within Hex DRM (#10)

I think they just forgot the range 0 column... but my inquiry on CSW has not received any answer yet.

The ATT is correct in not having a range 0, as you cannot use the ATT when attacking a same hex target, although the actual rule prohibiting this is one of those things that was accidentally omitted from the rulebook.

And with the VTT, I think the only change needed is to relabel the 1-6 column as 0-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
One of the things missing from the ASLSK #3 rulebook is a clear description of when and how you can change your Turret Covered Arc (TCA), although many of the examples do show the TCA being changed.

Designer Ken Dunn posted this explanation of the process on ConsimWorld:

Ken Dunn wrote:
You may change your TCA during movement or during a fire phase.

If you do so in a fire phase, you may do so as part of a shot but that comes with certain modifiers listed as #8 under To Hit Dice Roll Modifiers on the player aid. In practice you simply announce the shot and change the facing of the Turret counter if it is now different than the VCA.

You can also do so as part of movement by again simply announcing the change and changing the turret counter if different than the VCA. See the examples on page 24, 25 and 26; they might help a bit. The TCA can be changed simultaneously with any movement expenditure including starting and stopping for "free".

Finally you can also change the TCA at the end of any fire phase in which the unit is eligible to fire its weapon without Intensive Fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ken could have expressed it more clearly, to limit the interpretations open to all those ASLSKers in a rules environment like this for the first time. Comments are welcomed...

Ken's version is in Jay's message above.

My revised version:
You may change a vehicle's TCA during its movement or during a fire phase.

If you do so in a fire phase, it is part of taking a shot, and you note the hexsides traversed as modifiers listed as #8 under To Hit Dice Roll Modifiers on the player aid card. In practice, you simply announce the shot, change the facing of the Turret counter (if it is to be different from the current VCA), then roll dice etc.

Note that you also can choose to change the VCA as part of taking a shot, if that will bring a weapon (which then must fire) to bear on the target, and with NT (Non-Turret) modifiers applying to that shot.

The TCA of a vehicle can be changed for "free" simultaneously with any Movement Point (MP) expenditure during movement, including the MP used to Start or Delay or Stop. The TCA of a vehicle (during its movement) can be turned any number of hexsides (using a turret counter if outside the VCA) whenever that vehicle spends an MP. See the examples on page 24, 25 and 26.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, there are some missing things in the SK3 rulebook:

I don't find what means: RMG.

What is the cost of moving backward? I think it's important part of any tank battle.

And: I don't understand what exactly means the "lower die" modifier. Please, somebody write a short example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Laszlo Somoskôi wrote:
I don't find what means: RMG.

RMG = "Rear Machine Gun"

The Russian KV and IS-2 tanks have a MG mounted in the rear of the turret, as signified by the "R2" code following their CMG FP on their counters. The counter legend on the back of the historical notes booklet identifies this as a "Rear coaxial MG." Some other WWII tanks had a RMG mounted in the rear of the hull, but none of these tanks are included in ASLSK #3.

Rule 7.8 unfortunately neglects to tell you anything about how to use a RMG. In full ASL, a RMG has a range of 8 hexes and can fire in a rear TCA that is exactly opposite of the normal TCA. MMP has stated that, since the RMG is identified as a coaxial MG, firing a RMG at the normal CMG range of 12 hexes will be allowed... at least until official errata is issued.

Laszlo Somoskôi wrote:
What is the cost of moving backward?

Reverse vehicular movement is not allowed in the ASLSK rules, which I believe is an intentional simplification and not an error/omission in the rules. If you are interested, in full ASL, most tracked vehicles can move in reverse by paying 4x the normal MP cost (or 2x the normal MP cost for most armored cars).

Laszlo Somoskôi wrote:
I don't understand what exactly means the "lower die" modifier.

When you are directed to double the lower die, as with To Hit modifier 16, Motion Fire, you make the DR and then double the lower of the two drs. Some examples:

1,1 = (1 x 2) + 1 = 3
1,2 = (1 x 2) + 2 = 4
1,5 = (1 x 2) + 5 = 7
2,3 = (2 x 2) + 3 = 7
4,6 = (4 x 2) + 6 = 14

I'm certain that someone has done a full analysis of the effect this technique has, but just offhand I would say that it makes scoring a hit unlikely, but not totally impossible: the final DR increases very little if you roll low, but it increases quite a lot if you roll high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.