Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE DECIDING TO DO THIS!

If you find the squad bases too tight of a fit, it is quite simple to fix them.

The tightness is caused by a mold line in the peg holes.

Just take a small drill bit (I think that 5/64th of inch works fine) and rub it up and down each hole a few times.

I did this for my whole set in about ten minutes and everything now slides in and out easily.

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
I did this for my whole set in about ten minutes and everything now slides in and out easily.

Do the figures "snap" in, so that they will stay in the base even if you tilt it or turn it over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Some of the figures will fall out if I hold the base upside down and shake it. Otherwise, they fit just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
Some of the figures will fall out if I hold the base upside down and shake it. Otherwise, they fit just fine.

I'm guessing the only reason you'd need to turn a squad base upside down and shake it is due to some really bad results from a mortar hit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's convenient --- but certainly not essential --- to be able to pick up a squad by lifting the figures, and not necessarily having to grab the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I di the same Mike....works great.....I would rather have the guys fall out if tipped upside down then to have a peg break!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike for the hint.

I was reluctant to dig a too big hole in the bases so as the figures could get too loose so I use your advice with another tool.

I use a 1 1/2 inch finishing common nail and passed it manually through twice (but not the head of the nail) in each hole just to enlarge the hole and almost immediatly all figures could SNAP in and hold.

I have no more trouble with the squads.

Thanks for this super game.

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akiva
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that most figures snap in easily with a pleasing click. For any that doesn't want to fit into a particular hole in a particular base, just swap that figure out with another. This seems to take care of most issues I've come across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike and Pierre for the good advice. Here's my report.

I didn't have handy a nail with the correct diameter. Instead I used a 5/64th" drill bit. I tried 1/16" (4/64") which was too small and a 3/32" (6/64") bit which was too large. So 5/64" seems to be the right size.

I used it manually for a while just sliding it in through the hole twice. I switched to a Dremel type tool on the lowest setting. Going through the 4 holes of each squad base took about a quarter hour.

The pegs on the figures are also not uniform. So some figures sit more loosely than others. My result is that all the figures fit in very nicely now. I did however lose that satisfying click. The figures seem to be loose. Even so, no figures slip or fall out even if I hold the squad base upside down.

All's well that ends well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pattison
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that 5/64" is the right size. It's easier to start it from the bottom of the base. It's left all my figures still snug but not tight - perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An even better solution would have been to make the models a lot less flimsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dragon of blood wrote:
An even better solution would have been to make the models a lot less flimsy.

FFG certainly could have done that. Unfortunately, to produce plastics that have a high degree of quality means a much higher production cost. So how much are fans willing to pay? I'd reckon no more than $80 at retail... thus, we compromise.

Speaking of which... if you have a set of needle files you probably have one that will remove enough excess material from the holes very quickly. I selected one that was just microscopically larger than the holes, ran it through each hole two or three times and discovered that not only do all my miniatures now fit, they retained the pleasing *snap* when they lock in and are still very easy to remove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to give the finishing nail idea a try, since I own neither files nor drill bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So 5/64" seems to be the right size.

I agree with Isaac. My maddening experience of jamming soldiers into their squad bases is over and I can now fit them in without a struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else had mentioned that if you can use a fingernail to press down on the plate beneath the figure's feet it somehow makes it easier. I don't have long fingernails at all, but my fingers are a little thin... anyway, it's been working for me. Thanks to whoever came up with the technique!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Charles Eloi
France
flag msg tools
mb
I've found quite a convenient tool in order to correct the bases problem : a dart's barrel and point. You just have to remove the shaft and feathers, then you've got a perfect and handy tool. The shape of the point allows you to gently enlarge a little bit the holes, while almost always keeping the satisfying 'click' while -easily- inserting the units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McKean
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have the drill bit mentioned here, but a smaller one works too - you just have to have a lot more patience as it will take closer to 45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just completed all the bases using a needle file from a Hobby file kit. All the units fit in and out very smoothly AND I was able to retain the "snap" feel for almost all of the holes. A little goes a long way, just 2 insertions of the file very lightly used did the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that applying generous amounts of KY jelly works like a charm, and only takes seconds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thats sick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jspoto wrote:
I've found that applying generous amounts of KY jelly works like a charm, and only takes seconds!

You'll lose the nice SNAP, but at least you'll have a pleasing FWAP FWAP sound to make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon of blood wrote:
I am going to give the finishing nail idea a try, since I own neither files nor drill bits.

It never ceases to amuse me how many gamers will buy toolboxes by the score to store game components, but don't actually own any tools. Hardware store staff must wonder what the hell we're up to.

For those of use who do not work in Imperial when it comes to drill bits, the appropriate size is 2mm. Use a high speed metal and wood bit, if you can get it.

Also, don't try pushing the bit through as it takes forever and is hard on the fingers and IME the bit keeps hanging up on the plastic. Instead, fit the bit to your drill and wedge the drill between your thighs. Then position the hole over the bit, hold the base at each side and push down firmly. The base should slide straight down and come straight up again. Five seconds per hole, no problems.

Re: picking the base up by the figures. When is it ever inconvenient to pick the base up by the hook on the back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
When is it ever inconvenient to pick the base up by the hook on the back?

When there are many squads close together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Jedit wrote:
When is it ever inconvenient to pick the base up by the hook on the back?

When there are many squads close together.

Out of simple curiosity, I tested this out by taking a group of three squads, and putting another three squads in every hex surrounding. There was still plenty of space to pick up any base from the centre hex by the hook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
There was still plenty of space to pick up any base from the centre hex by the hook.

I am awed by your squad-lifting abilities. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.