Subject: Supporting a besieged force rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty confused about what happens when you try to help units besieged in a castle. Let's take this situation:

I am the Franks, I have 3 units in Antioch, and they are besieged by 5 Saracens. On my move, I send 3 more units to help them via road. I wish for all my units (the besieged and the new ones) to fight.

Can somebody guide me into what happens exactly (including who is in Reserve), and in which combat round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fellows being besieged are basically always available to sally if they choose - they don't count as a seperate group when determining who is the main force and who is the reserve.

So if you have one group moving in as the relief force, both it and the besieged fellows can fight in the first round. (If you had multiple relief groups, some of them would be reserves teh first round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay; that's what I thought, but this got me confused:

Quote:
7.33 Sallying
If not being stormed, besieged blocks
may sally to try and break the siege, or
assist a relief force.

I was under the impression that the besieged force could not sally whenever they wanted, but only when they were not stormed.

Is a besieging force forbidden to storm when they are attacked from outside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:
Okay; that's what I thought, but this got me confused:

Quote:
7.33 Sallying
If not being stormed, besieged blocks
may sally to try and break the siege, or
assist a relief force.

I was under the impression that the besieged force could not sally whenever they wanted, but only when they were not stormed.

Is a besieging force forbidden to storm when they are attacked from outside?

That's right. The option to sally loses you the defensive bonus but allows you to engage opponents that aren't attacking you. Insulting people from the parapets so that they come to you is much preferable.

If you have a relief force then the besiegers must meet it on the field of battle (or flee) --- they can't storm. Thus you can always use a sally to aid a relief force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.