Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my son and I have been playing for a couple of weeks now and really enjoy the game, we have been doing the 1.5 and 1.6 and 2.0 rules. Talk about conflicts. haha.

We have found some things we like and some things we dislike, so we have come up with some house rules that have been working out pretty well.

First is the Initative, rolling 2d6 with the high roller going first sometimes is NOT an advantage, sometimes I dont want to go first, so we changed it roll 2D6 and the high roller gets to choose who goes first that turn.

No Retreat on the first round of combat - We thought this made some units not as good as they could be, like some elves, so we decided that whomever won initative on that turn could elect to retreat on the first round (not who won the roll, but who went first), if you did not win initative you could not retreat on the first round, it made the initative roll also a bit more dramatic since the winner could choose who gets the initative. If you win the initative roll and choose the other player, then you also forfit your ability to retreat in the first round of combat.

Stacking Limit - We played with the limit of 6 (plus wizard) and the board seemed very cluttered in some spots, so we tried the 4 limit and it played much better (I have read many complaints about 4 not being enough, but I think it might be players who were used to the 6), in any case, although the game did go smoother, we did notice some combat that seemed like it would have been better with larger armies. So we decided to stick with the stacking limit of 4, but allow 1 group on each side to go up to 6 (plus wizard), this represented the main army or largest force that your side has to offer, we also decided that a wizard has to be in command of that group for the stacking limit to go over 4... If the wizard was killed or left for some reason, the group would have to split, etc. We are thinking of maybe trying out something like for a 100 point game you get to go over the stacking limit of 4 once, and for each additional 50 points you play you can also go over 1 more time, so a 200 point game would allow you 3 groups that can break the stacking limit of 4, etc...

There was one other thing that we had made a house rule on, but I can't recall it right now and I dont have the game handy to look, so I may edit this message at a later date with more info.

I would love to hear everyones opinions on these house rules and let me know if you have a better way or a house rule that is similar and any good/bad thoughts about it.

Thanks,
Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paragon Games wrote:

First is the Initative, rolling 2d6 with the high roller going first sometimes is NOT an advantage, sometimes I dont want to go first, so we changed it roll 2D6 and the high roller gets to choose who goes first that turn.

This is actually how it used to be. In fact, in the older game I always played with a house rule that high die-roller just goes fist because it saves a lot of time and produces the same results, assuming reasonably competent play. All that giving the player the choice does is open up the opportunity to make mistakes, and I think that the choice of going first or not is relatively uninteresting, plus it can require more time than it's worth to work out.

Quote:
No Retreat on the first round of combat - We thought this made some units not as good as they could be, like some elves, so we decided that whomever won initative on that turn could elect to retreat on the first round (not who won the roll, but who went first) ...

This actually seems somewhat backwards. If I'd have done it, I'd have allowed only the second player to retreat in the first round, because (logically anyway) the second player lost the movement phase for any of his attacked units, and the player going first is in an "aggressive" posture.

I think some kind of fix is needed for the no-retreat-on-round-1 rule, but I'm not quite sure this is it. This is making a lot ride on the initiative die roll, and I'm not sure that roll needs to be any more high-stakes than it already is. At this point I'm leaning towards just abolishing this particular restriction entirely.

Quote:
Stacking Limit...

One thing you didn't mention is the 3-round combat limit which was introduced in 2.0. The stacking limit and the round limit sort of go together. If you've got big, powerful stacks (6 units plus a Wizard) going at it, 3 rounds is not enough for them to fight it out. With smaller stacking limits, the round limit can be more reasonable. It all depends on the density of units. If firepower densities are high on both sides (because of large stacking limits or because the defender can concentrate), 3 rounds can give attackers real problems. If things are less dense, 3 rounds is more reasonable.

A lot of these issues are tied up with the levels of force available (initial GP allotments and board size), whether production is concentrated or dispersed, whether you're using 1.x or 2.0 production, and so on. I don't think there is a right answer one way or the other, but twiddling even one variable can mess up scenarios designed for a straight-up environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your reply Chris, I would have posted yesterday but I missed seeing you had responded!

I am glad to hear some different views, that is the main reason I wanted to post to begin with.

Initative Roll - It is working out great that the winner of the roll gets to choose who is going to go first.

No Retreat - We were looking at it from the opposite view of you, the person who moves first (gets initative) has the advantage for the turn, so we were looking at it as if they were more prepaired to react, etc. Therefor letting them retreat if they wanted.

3 Rounds of Combat / Stacking Limit: I did forget to mention, but we dont use the 3 rounds of combat rule, it makes an attack seem too difficult, and with a retreat option you can always back out later in the fight if you want to... Since we have a house rule that lets one force go over the normal stacking limit of 4 to a limit of 6, we have found times that two huge armies are meeting on the battlefield, combat sometimes hasn't even gotten half done by the 3rd round.

Thanks for your ideas!
Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are playing with house rules (or optional rules from the rulebook), please remember to mention those used in scenarios you post online... It is not very fun to download and play a scenario only to find it is broken because the creator only playtested it using some unknown house rules (or optional rules).

The suggested house rules looks interesting for use in specific scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.