Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I picked up a copy of Queen Strike from Funagain at BGG.CON in November after seeing it on BGG's video feeds from Essen (https://youtu.be/9ZrLOtUzIz8). I consider myself somewhat of a techie, but my wife truly is. She works with all grade levels in our school district helping teachers integrate technology into their classrooms. I mention that because of the augmented reality aspect of this game. We have introduced our grandkids to augmented reality via 4D+ flash cards from Octagon Studio and they love them. So when we saw Queen Strike, we decided to give it a try. It wasn't cheap, but we figured we would get a lot of mileage out of a copy.

Well, this past week we got an opportunity to share Queen Strike with our granddaughters (ages 4-5) and it was a BIG success. I can't tell you how many times we played it. While some adult assistance was necessary, I was surprised at how fast they picked up on the mechanics. It's actually a fairly simple roll and move style game, but the interaction of the players with the Queen and guards as they move around the board kept their attention. Players use their character cards, common cannon and event cards, and their own set of three rock/paper/scissors cards to interact with the iOS device, which is placed atop an assembled castle-like theater. Inside the viewing window, which uses a reflection from the iOS device, is where all the animation happens (imagine holographic type animations). Cards are used to indicate locations on the game board and interact through use of the iOS device pointed at a viewing area in front of the castle. Players interact by selecting a card and placing it in the viewing area. Players may be playing rock/paper/scissors or answering a series of logic, math, etc. type questions. (This is where the adult assistance was primarily needed.) However, I was surprised at how well this worked. The app used on the iOS device worked very smoothly and cards were detected every time with no problems.

First let me say the technology part of this game shouldn't scare anyone away. It couldn't be any easier to setup. Actually, it was harder to assemble the castle, but it was a piece of cake too. We do like the way it scales. Players are trying to collect music notes before the Queen reaches the end of her track. The length and difficulty is adjusted by how many notes (3/5/7) must be collected (the Queen's track stays the same). And while our grandkids are below the game's recommended ages of 6 and up, they were able to become fully involved in the game. There is no doubt we will have years of fun with Queen Strike, especially with new grandkids on the way.

Hope this helps those that are thinking about this one. I noticed there is very little written about this game and with the price fairly high, I wanted to share my experience with Queen Strike.

Enjoy! Start those kids early and share your love of board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HoPLAY
msg tools
Yay!! On behalf of HoPLAY, we are so happy that you and your granddaughters are enjoying the game! Thank you so much for the support. Remember to update the APP for new game contents and please feel free to contact us for any suggestions. Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and we hope you have lots and lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.