Derek Rushing
United States
Brilliant
Alabama
flag msg tools
I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on some good adventure type boardgames dealing with character advancement, etc for around 2 to 4 players. I'm not really interested in the D&D line, but maybe some lighter game with a sense of RPG character advancement in it. I was thinking maybe Doom or Descent, Return of the Heroes, or even the older Hero Quest? So far, the only thing close to any of that, that I own is Arkham Horror. The Descent boardgame reviews seem to place that game as a bit unbalanced, and hard to win. So am not fully sure on that one. I kinda like the concept of building adventure areas from tiles, and having chambers, chests, doors, etc (Variable map layouts).
Would appreciate any good suggestions.

/D.R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was just hashed out recently. Start here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21770

and here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1516139

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like battlestations might be your best beth. It is really cool, i just got it. You each play a member of a starship flying around the galaxy doing different missions.

Otherwise, descent is an excellent game, but has no campaign system at the moment, but the forth coming expansion will have one. Don't be too concerned about it being difficult or easy (personally I think it is a bit easy on the heroes), it is a great game and lots of fun.

Doom: pretty much an inferior version of descent, but it is a cool game and has an ok campaign system.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ritter
United States
Westfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the games I've played. You may want to look into Runebound or Dungeoneer as they both have a character development aspect to them. I was going to recommend Arkham Horror, but you said you had that already. Although, I feel there is greater character development aspect in Runebound and Dungeoneer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rushing
United States
Brilliant
Alabama
flag msg tools
Thanks for the links. I just grabbed a copy of Hero Quest off of Ebay, so I'll give that one a try. The store I usually buy my boardgames from seems to be out of stock on the Runebound base game, so I'll probably give it a try if and when it comes back in stock. Along with Dungeoneer, Doom, Descent, and Return of The Heroes, it should fill my light adventure game needs.

Just a side note... Why is the difficulty of Descent reviews vary so much. Is it balanced a certain way, only when a specific amount of players play it? or does the difficulty scale. I have seen reviews saying it is way too easy, and then I see reviews that it is terribly hard to beat the Overlord. I assume maybe its too hard for 2-3 players, and gets easier with more? If its not too rule heavy, I'll probably give it a try. I like Arkham Horror, so hopefully more adventure games like that will be around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why is the difficulty of Descent reviews vary so much. Is it balanced a certain way, only when a specific amount of players play it? or does the difficulty scale. I have seen reviews saying it is way too easy, and then I see reviews that it is terribly hard to beat the Overlord.

The overlord is not that hard to beat, except for a few missions. I find that if the heroes can get going they almost always win. Thats the problem, is that the middle ground is not particularly big, so it the overlord is better, he will almost always win, if heroes are more on to it they will always win. Generally I find it works really well and it is really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.