Hide
4 Posts

Santorini» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why require God Powers in 3-player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Su
msg tools
Why do the 3-player (and 4-player) rules require playing with God Powers if 2-player does not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Endless endless stalemates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without powers Santorini will not stalemate since you will always add a block and towers are capped at height 4, eventually removing all spaces from the board. (Siren and Theseus can go into a pointless loop.)

In 3-player games with perfect information, no randomness and no simultaneous action selection someone usually ends up as a kingmaker. That makes winning unsatisfying since really you just have a loser. If you use powers then things are more likely to seem interesting* and if use a random power (Chaos, future/promo card Tyche) or a power that uses the shield then the problem is largely mitigated.

*: this may just mean that someone doesn't realize they were king-making
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolfe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just speeds things up. This game is meant to play quickly. I played a 3 player game without using God cards to teach new players the basics. It was a very long game. It takes a lot of blocking and maneuvering to hold off two opponents.

You don't necessarily have king-making in a 3 player game. Everyone is always trying to block everyone else. The trick is to block spaces in such a way that your opponents can't block you from winning, at least in fewer moves than you. Of course, this is much harder with more builders on the board, but the strategy of the game applies the same no matter the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.