United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
The NKPA says: “Screw Seoul! We’re headed for Pusan!!!!!”

This is a session report of an advanced game play of The Korean War. I was once again the USA side while my intrepid opponent, Thad, once again took the no good, Godless, atheist, pinko commies!!!!! angry
This game saw some interesting twists and turns not least of which was Thad’s initial strategy in the first four months of the war.

Pre-Game USA:
As usual, I was planning on selling my ROK units as dearly as possible while building up USA/UN units in the rear near Pusan. I also decided to be a little bolder with the amphibious assault operations, if such an opportunity presented itself.

Pre-Game NKPA/PRC:
Thad had decided to try something different. Rather than push “hell for leather on all three main axises of advance, he put pressure on the east and west coast approaches while holding in the middle. He had decided to try for a knockout blow on Pusan and, if that failed, he had planned on a new strategy to stall for time to allow the dreaded WWIII to be triggered off which would give him an automatic win.

Starting UN information:
I began the game with the following deployment levels:
UN intervention-3
UN Engagement-3
USA mobilization-3

June- October 1950

The game began with a big! surprise Normally, I try to make some ROK divisions on the first two turns to slow down the NKPA as it advances on Seoul and I did just that this game. Only trouble: I detected the true NKPA strategy a bit too late. As I watched four NKPA divisions advance down the east side of the peninsula while at the same time watching the lion’s share of the remaining divisions press on the west side and head toward Musan, I suddenly realized the danger I was in! I frantically launched counterattacks just north of Pusan and managed to give myself enough breathing room to keep the NKPA ZOC out of Pusan (if I had not done so, I would not have been able to receive reinforcements!!!!! gulp ) The 2nd AP of August saw the high water mark of the NKPA drive to the south. I have saved Pusan and was building a line along the river to the west (again, usual strategy). Then something weird happened in September: the NKPA dug in!!!!! Having captured many of the major cities, the commies began to dig in along the river lines and in the major cities. I began a build up of forces north of Pusan and in the Taegu vicinity, while keeping a defensive posture on the road leading west away from Pusan. In October, I got a HUGE depot advantage over the NKPA and began hammering the enemy in the two areas selected. In the center, I destroyed three NKPA divisions and in the east two more for good measure. Things were looking up!!!! cool I even ended October by boldly landing at Wonson and then, to my amazement, I managed to sweep the port of mines!!!! So, it seemed that Thad’s new strategy had failed...or had it. All this time, the global tension level was rising and by November it was at level three.

November 1950- January 1951

As November began, the NKPA forces in the west began to withdraw towards Taejon to make a stand. The fighting was heavy and the turn began with the UN escalating the engagement level to 4. The forces that had struck Wonson had been a gamble and now the gamble failed: the Chinese began their limited intervention. shake The NKPA began to withdraw what forces it had left towards Seoul and Inchon. It was at this point that I knew I could never win with victory points and decided to I would make Wonson into a major base and attempt the military victory. The PRC forces began pouring over the border in a two pronged offensive: one prong headed toward the Hamhung vicinity the other toward Pyongyang. As PRC forces headed toward Pyongyang, they began to advance along the road between Seoul and Wonson to hit the US forces in the flank. The NKPA units at Inchon and Seoul prepared to fight fought to the last man to give the PRC forces time to hit the UN forces in the flank, destroying the ROK division assigned to hold the intersecting point of the Seoul-Wonson road. The USA forces began to hammer their way up the east coast road to link up with the units at Wonson.
By December, the global tension had risen to 4 but the PRC had failed to achieve full intervention. The US forces that had survived at Seoul were badly bloodied and now had to deal with fresh PRC units. The US began to use Inchon as a port during December. During the 2nd AP of December the PRC again failed full intervention, but they did manage to recapture Wonson as they has dug in along the advances to Wonson, thus holding up the US forces from the south and then launched a savage attack on the port city. The UN finally captured Seoul this turn and was thus ready to drive north, but it seemed too late: the PRC looked to be in position and all they needed now was the full Chinese intervention......
In January 1951, the floodgates burst as full PRC intervention was achieved. The PRC victory at Wonson had left several UN units cut off to the north of Wonson and they were destroyed this turn gulp The PRC also began to mass near Anju to the north of Pyongyang, which had fallen earlier in the month. In the 2nd half of January, the PRC units blasted through Anju and destroyed a Marine unit, pressing on toward Pyongyang. The UN player had units strung out along the roads from Pyongyang to Seoul and now it appeared the column would be destroyed piecemeal by the PRC as they advanced forces to the east of the Pyongyang-Seoul main highway, looking to cut off the UN forces. One ROK division was destroyed north or Pyongyang, but UN forces still held on. The question was: for how long?????????

February-March 1951

By February the global tension level was 5 and things did not look good for the UN forces. The fighting raged at this point along three main fronts: south of Wonson, Pyongyang, and along the South Koksan-Munan area. In desperation to get reinforcements to Pyongyang, I launched an amphibious assault on Chinamp’o which succeeded!!! cool At the same time, UN forces began to finally breach the line south of Wonson. However, the 2nd half of February would prove to be a cold time as the PRC pressed into Pyongyang and the turning movement to cut off the UN forces SW of Nan-Gang river began to take shape. However, the UN pressed on and Wonson again fell to the UN forces!!! The PRC launched desperate attacks on Wonson and Chinamp’o which failed, but served to tie down UN forces as the flanking units marched on. As March began the global tension reached level 6. PRC forces severed road between Sariwon and Namch’onjo. The PRC had closed the pocket on 4 UN and 1 ROK division and one UN regiment! The situation looked bleak. I mustered all the forces I could, even sending some from the advance at Wonson and, in what can only be called a miracle, I broke through to the UN pocket! I then began to withdraw the UN forces from the pocket, while pressing the Wonson offensive toward Hamhung at the same time. The PRC launched new attacks and timed them well as the succeeded in splitting the pocket and destroying two UN units. The PRC also recaptured Chinamp’o (which I had never cleared of mines) and smashed the remaining UN units near Pyongyang. I managed to keep what dignity I had left by withdrawing troops towards Seoul to prepare for a defense followed by a counterattack but the PRC was hot on my heels and the advance towards Hamhung began to stall. Then April came and with it World War III......

This quite an interesting game of The Korean War. The Pusan gamble almost worked and I cam away with the belief that never again would I attempt an amphibious assault north of the 38th before I had troops close by. This certainly allowed earlier Chinese intervention, and killed my chances for a military victory. Once the PRC came roaring across the border, I had no chance for a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The NKPA says: "Screw Seoul! We're headed for Pusan!!!!
Awesome session report, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The NKPA says: "Screw Seoul! We're headed for Pusan!!!!

I found an image from the game, hope you don't mind if I post it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very enjoyable session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"I frantically launched counterattacks just north of Pusan and managed to give myself enough breathing room to keep the NKPA ZOC out of Pusan (if I had not done so, I would not have been able to receive reinforcements!"

Is that true? We played that the UN can place reinforcements in ANY adjacent space (subject to stacking, of course) next to Pusan, regardless of enemy ZOC. Did we miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rule book is says on page 23 under UN Reinforcements it says under number one "If the UN player wishes to deploy reinforcements to Pusan, he removes the desired units...and places them in Pusan."
Since it said nothing about adjacent to Pusan, I always assumed you had to put them in there and make sure you have a friendly unit since you cannot place reinforcements in an enemy ZOC unless you have a friendly unit present.
It says under 13.1 on page 22 that you can place in an adjacent hex but only if you would violate stacking restrictions in the reinforcement hex. So in order to place adjacent, you'd have to have control of Pusan no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we played it correctly: an enemy ZOC on Pusan has no impact - if Pusan is friendly occupied. And, UN can place adjacent to Pusan (of course, not in an enemy occupied hex) - and an enemy ZOC in an adjacent hex doesn't seem to matter. The only way to freeze out the adjacent spaces from UN placement would be to occupy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.