Popular Tags: [View All]
Rupert Rupinette
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was psyched to get Winner’s Circle in the mail before the weekend began. The theme appealed to me, and everything I had read about it had me convinced that I would like it. Perhaps more importantly, I sensed that I could get others to play it and like it as well. I was not disappointed in either respect.

I played my first game against my 7-year-old daughter, Celeste. I remember thinking it a bit odd that the horses started in front of the starting line—yes, we plopped the horses on their appropriate colors and ran the races counter-clockwise—but didn’t give it second thought. Oh well, the game ruled anyway! Celeste caught on almost immediately and I could see her gears turning as she picked and moved. I was surprised and pleased at her astute appraisal of the horses’ apparent values. She stomped me on the first race when she rolled for a 20 on the horse Regret. We played without concealing our bets, but even so, the game had me tense and excited. I think it does an excellent job of modeling a real horserace. Celeste came away with the win due in part to her making doe eyes at me every time I would consider spoiling it for one of her big sprinters.

I also played a game against my wife, who falls into the all too common wife-who-needs-cajoling category, and she seemed to enjoy it. We only played for two races, but I think I might be able to get it on the table against her again soon. Points for that.

Despite the fact that we went the wrong direction, we had a great time in our oblivious state. I can’t wait to get this on the table again with some more people. 9/10 after only two plays with only two players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.