Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Clue: Star Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Star Wars Clue Special Edition Rules Variant [includes light combat] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clark Kent

Kansas
msg tools
These rules are also available a little bit more clearly organized with bolded headlines here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pj16qDKaYGrwyD3mpEL_2D4B...

Star Wars Clue Special Edition Rules:
Purpose: To make the game more exciting, I added combat, special abilities specific to characters and minor tweaks.
Requirements: The Star Wars Clue board game, 2 six sided dice (1 is included with the board game), a 12 sided die and a 20 sided die. [You can get an inexpensive gaming dice set online or any local gaming/hobby shop]
Setup: -Place the planet and vehicle tokens next to the board.
-Shuffle the black corridor cards and put them near the board face down.
-Separate the 3 types of red cards into a pile for each and shuffle them face down. Then without looking pick 1 card from each of the three red decks without looking at them and place them in the mission folder to the side of the gameboard.
-Then shuffle the 3 red decks together and divide them amongst the players evenly. Any remaining cards are faceup.
Picking Teams: Rules intended for 2-3 players. Each player picks two characters from the list below.
(For 4-6 players, have them break into teams of two or have each player pick 1 character instead of 2).
Luke or Leia
Special Ability: Use the Force - Once per game, Luke or Leia may use their force powers to randomly look at one of the cards in each players hand. This ability cannot be reused.
Han or Chewbacca
Special Ability: Smuggler’s Luck - When in combat, Han or Chewbacca can reroll their attack once per combat.
C3P0 or R2D2
Special Ability: Act Natural - Droids walking around are less likely to attract attention in the corridors. Hence, C3P0 or R2D2 may reroll one or both 6 sided dice once per turn.
The Mission:[Directly from page 8 of the game handbook] It is a period of civil war. You have managed to sneak onto the Empire's ultimate weapon, The Death Star! In order to prevent the Empire from destroying more planets, your mission is to figure out:
1. Which Planet Darth Vader is plotting to destroy next.
2. Which room the secret plans to the Death Star are Hidden
3. How you will escape from the Death Star once you find the plans.
How to Play: Each turn Roll two 6-sided dice and move your team of characters across the gray tiles that many spaces in any direction. You should always try to enter a room each turn. You don't need an exact roll to enter a room. If your roll would have taken you beyond the room, just finish your move early and stop in the room. There are 2 elevators on the sides of the Death Star. Moving from upstairs to downstairs counts as 1 movement.
If you land in a room:
State your guess as to what ship you’ll use to escape the Death Star, what planet Vader intends to blow up next and you must guess that the death star plans are located in the location you landed in. If one of the players [starting from the player to your left] have the cards for the location, planet or escape ship that you guessed, they have to show you one of those cards. Once someone shows you one of the cards then others don't have to show you any of theirs. You can only peek at 1 card per turn. Mark your clue sheet accordingly and try to figure out what the 3 red cards nobody has are. Once you think you know what those 3 cards are [1 from each type] then head to the docking bay and make your final guess out loud. If you're wrong you lose the game and don't reveal to others what the correct cards were. If you got all 3 cards correct, you win the game and everyone escapes the Death Star.
If you end your turn in a corridor without reaching a room:
Draw a corridor card and read what it says. If the card you pick is a You've Been Caught Card, then you enter combat.
Combat Rules: When you enter combat, you roll a twenty sided dice against the storm troopers 12 sided dice. If your roll is higher than the storm troopers roll, then you win the combat.
If you lose a combat, send one of your team members to the detention block [they can't make a guess once they get there]. Your remaining player is still able to move around the board freely.
How to get out of the detention block: If a player enters the detention block, all prisoners are freed and rejoin their partner player at their location automatically. However, for each freed character, the rescuer gets to look at that many cards from the freed prisoners hand randomly.
If all players are imprisoned in the detention block the game ends and everyone loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I am interested in this game (if nothing else, because of the cool death star). What are your thoughts on game play? And how much is game play improved with your variant? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kent

Kansas
msg tools
Yeah, the Death Star board is really cool and even the plastic miniatures are fun.
The base game's gameplay is pretty standard clue so the game is passable unless you are a big star wars fan such as myself. It feels like it's not quite there but it has good things going on, which is why I felt like making a rules variant to beef it up a bit.

It's a fun clue clone but the only problem is you move with 1d6 but there are lots of spaces between the rooms. So basically you only end up in a room every 3 turns on average, which seems high to me. But the cards you draw when you end your turn in corridors and not rooms are pretty cool at least and give the game some flavor.

I think the light combat mechanics that I added really make the game better. I think it's much more fun when playing with the rules I devised but it's still not quite as fun as Star Wars Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.