Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was first introduced to Quiddler a few months ago at a Monthly Rotational, a regular TABS (www.tabsonline.net) event. My fiancée was also introduced to the game, and she quickly fell in love with it. She very much enjoys Scrabble and other word games, so this was a no brainer for her.
After a few games, I brought it to the school I am interning at to see if one of the teachers that I am with, a Language/Resource/Spec Ed teacher, would like to try it with the kids, as an 'educational support game.'
After teaching her the rules, we knew that as is, the game would not work with most of the Spec Ed kids we work with, considering their lack of rich vocabulary.
So we came up with the following variant:

-Each player begins with 10 cards
-The rest of the cards make up a deck, and one card is flipped over beside into an 'open' area
-On a player's turn, they draw a card, play scoring words onto the table, play a card to the open area, and draw up to X cards (determined by the round)
-Cards in the open area may be used by the active player (taken from the open area and placed into the scoring word); it is not replaced
-Each round the players' hand limit decreases by 1, from 10, until the 8th and final round (players should have 3 cards, plus one drawn)
-Bonus scores are possible: +5 for a word of 5 letters or more, +5 for two or more words, +5 for using all cards in hand

I think that's pretty much what we do.

So we've introduced the game to 6 grade 7/8 students who come to us for Resource periods. It has been a big hit each time, and I picked up a copy of the game for the teacher.
Today we played with the two of us, and two students who were knew to Quiddler. After a quick intro, we began. We only got two rounds in, but I think we hooked them in for some more Quiddler later this week.
In the first round, J picked up a wimpy 14 points, while A did nicely with 26. I was next with a nice 28 points, while Ms. A came in with 27.
In round two. J came back with 33 points! A only had 17 this time. I had a nice 30 points, but Ms A. owned us all with 39 points!
We've learned that playing against the Language teacher does not bode well for the rest of us. Thank goodness young teen boys aren't competitive, eh? That's what Jungle Speed is for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. J. Hastings
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question: if you redraw cards after playing a word, what ends the round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.